Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield wiper motor weak

Ok I have a 2013 itasca ellipse 42qd. Recently my windshield wipers have been acting up.

When I activate the wipers they will only go up anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 the way up their normal stroke then they get stuck. This happens frequently.

Sometimes they will wipe correctly for a few cycles before getting “stuck”. When they are wiping it seems like the motor is struggling to get the wipers on the up stroke.

It seems to me like the motor is too weak for the wipers. Or the blades are too big for the motor. Or there is too much tension pushing the blade into the windshield causing too much friction. However I have checked and I do have the recommended wiper blade for my coach.

When the wipers get stuck I can go outside and help the wiper by pushing up on one of the blades and they will then work for a few cycles before getting stuck again.

If I pull back the wiper arms off the windshield the motor works perfectly. I’ve lubricated all of the pivot points to no avail.

Has anyone ever had a wiper motor go bad before?
rdentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am sure that wiper motors can go bad but I would check for a corroded or poor electrical connection. I would do a visual inspection and then try to measure the voltage if you know how to use a multimeter. Another thing to try is to disconnect the existing wire harness and directly connect 12V to the motor. This will bypass a lot of wiring. Be careful working around those swinging wiper arms!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
I am sure that wiper motors can go bad but I would check for a corroded or poor electrical connection. I would do a visual inspection and then try to measure the voltage if you know how to use a multimeter. Another thing to try is to disconnect the existing wire harness and directly connect 12V to the motor. This will bypass a lot of wiring. Be careful working around those swinging wiper arms!

Thank you I will try that this weekend and report back.
rdentist is offline   Reply With Quote