Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

windshield rust maintenance

We have a new to us 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V. While cleaning the windshield I noticed the black rubber strip at the top of the window was loose. I pulled it back and could see obvious rust in the channel. I am aware this is a know issue for Winnebago.

My question is how do I best deal with the rust and reseal the window?

I want to remove the rubber molding, remove the rust I can, prime it and reseal it. Not sure how to safely remove and re-attach the rubber trim.

Any ideas or help appreciated.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

To do it right the windshield has to be removed and all rust removed. Then a good rust inhibiting primer and new paint applied.
I strongly advise having the windshield reinstalled by a profesional.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The treatment plan will depend on how long you plan on keep your coach and how bad the rust is. As az bound said - glass should be removed and frame treated. On my 98 Winnie Chieftain - there was only minor rust so I removed rubber molding and treated rust with a rust inhibitor. I reattached the molding base with contact cement. Then put a bead of rtv along the the upper top base molding. Cleaned the rubber molding and reinstalled. Hope this helps a little.
olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OlFart describes the minimal method that is about the best you can do without removing the glass. I know from experience with our previous coach, a 2002 Journey, that if you can see rust when you pull out the rubber molding, there is a lot more behind the glass that you cannot see. However, it may be years before you develop a leak or the glass breaks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

What holds the black rubber trim in place??
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
What holds the black rubber trim in place??
A urethane adhesive such as Sika Titan PG2.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The windshield glass "floates"in the rubber molding. This allows the coach to twist and turn without cracking the windshield. The shape of the supporting frame with the design of the windshield allows the molding to hold the glass in the opening. Fixing the rust with a rust inhibitor and then re-installing the rubber molding with a sealing glue should solve your problem. All auto windshields are "glued in",
Regards,
Jimb
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I just had the windshields replaced in my 2004 Journey.

Each windshield is held in place by black adhesive. There are four small "angle iron" bracket to hold the glass in place ... there are soft "pillows" between the glass and the angle iron ...

The black plastic moldings have a ridge on the back that fits into a U channel ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
We have a new to us 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V. While cleaning the windshield I noticed the black rubber strip at the top of the window was loose. I pulled it back and could see obvious rust in the channel. I am aware this is a know issue for Winnebago.

My question is how do I best deal with the rust and reseal the window?

I want to remove the rubber molding, remove the rust I can, prime it and reseal it. Not sure how to safely remove and re-attach the rubber trim.

Any ideas or help appreciated.
check por 15 from carquest auto parts.

Stop Rust with POR-15® - We Know What Permanent Means!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

As stated by skigramp the trim piece is a press fit into a channel. Winnebago told me to spray it with Windex and tap it back into place with a rubber hammer. I had it off to do a temporary seal job on the drivers side because of a leak.

Four years ago I had the drivers side windshield replaced at the factory because of a rust induced crack. They said they would take care of the rust and apparently they did because it is still crack free.

I had the drivers side windshield (the one that leaked and cracked) replaced last year at the factory and apparently they did not do a good job of removing the rust and it cracked this summer.
I called Winnebago and their warranty is three months and they stand by that.
I am having it replaced here in Grand Junction CO by a company that has done a number of Winnebago's and is familiar with the rust issue. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Tags
maintenance, rust