Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Just wondering if anyone out there has attempted to do their own rock chip repairs. I just ordered a professional style repair kit. In the last 2 years we have had 8 rocks fly up and chip our windshields that required repair. I haven't had to replace a winshield yet. All of the chips have come from vehicles traveling in the opposite direction.

I don't mind paying for the repairs, for me it is the issue of finding someone to do it before the crack gets bigger. So far 2 chips on the new vectra windshield, one was repaired well and the last one the repairman did a sloppy job and didn't have the adequate tools for the job. After watching all my repairs it doesn't seem all that technical.

I am hoping that now that a bought a kit I will never get a chip again Maybe I will practice on mine for a while, then start to do others.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just wondering if anyone out there has attempted to do their own rock chip repairs. I just ordered a professional style repair kit. In the last 2 years we have had 8 rocks fly up and chip our windshields that required repair. I haven't had to replace a winshield yet. All of the chips have come from vehicles traveling in the opposite direction.

I don't mind paying for the repairs, for me it is the issue of finding someone to do it before the crack gets bigger. So far 2 chips on the new vectra windshield, one was repaired well and the last one the repairman did a sloppy job and didn't have the adequate tools for the job. After watching all my repairs it doesn't seem all that technical.

I am hoping that now that a bought a kit I will never get a chip again Maybe I will practice on mine for a while, then start to do others.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Where did you get the kit? I've had the same problem. Got a small chip at the bottom on a Saturday afternoon, by Monday morning it had developed into a crack. Tried to find a glass shop Saturday, but couldn't.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here is where I got my kit from. There are kits available for less than half the price of that but I may want to start a side business so I wanted a higher quality kit.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where did you get the kit? I've had the same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. I've got a star about the size of a silver dollar & was "repaired" by a lcl windshield guy (Insur paid all). But I can still see the radiating cracks. However, the cracks have not migrated beyond their initial state (~6 mos ago). Question: If I bought a kit, can I squirt more juice in, to try to better fill in the radiating cracks? Or just not mess w/it.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thudman, I can't answer that for sure now. My guess would be no. The resin has already cured, so you can't get any more into the star. I don't think drilling a new hole would be wise. My kit comes an instuction manual so maybe that will answer some questions.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Your insurance company will pay for the repair with no deductible.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Agree with Tom. Most insurance companies will pay to have the chip repaired without cost to you. I just had one done - called the insurance company and they called the glass folks who called, made an appointment, and came to my barn to make the repair. Great service !!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We got a chip last weekend and called our insurance company and they had a glass repair company come out and repair the chip. Had the windshield on our Jeep repaired about 2 months ago. You have to know where to look to see the repairs.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We know that insurance covers the repair. The point is that sometimes repair facilities are not available. If you travel to Alaska or Mexico, windshield repairs are few and far between. It is just one more repair that I can do rather then having to rely on someone else.

Our Webpage