Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by zertrider:
Roadking, glad it worked for you. But I would suggest sticking with Urethane Windshield adhesive, as it will stick to the factory urethane that still hold the windshield in place. You can get it from many auto parts stores and it also comes in a caulking type tube. Just a suggestion.
I will be doing mine today. I bought ws caulk from a glass co. Im going to use it for the track as well but am alittle concerned about getting it back off if I ever have to. What do you think?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't worry about getting the track back out.If really necessary down the road, an old screwdriver with the tip sharpened will work to cut the urethane under the strip.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Well mine is finished and knock on wood I believe I fixed the leak.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Zertrider, you are exactly correct about the scriber being used. I just discovered a leak at the top of the windshield last week. I removed all of the trim and can clearly see a scribe line going clear across the top of the windshield, which is the starting point of a rust trail. Today I spent a few hours scraping and cleaning the area. I applied a rust blocker and will apply sealant Monday.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I had the windshield frame rust repaired and two windshields replaced on my 99 Brave SE. $4,200 two years ago. Now the passenger side is leaking. I'm going to try urethane sealant on the inside of the rubber molding.
Yogisurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

widshield leak

Just went through this with my new Sunstar 27n. It leaked from day one, the dealer smeared silicone around the outside that looked like crap and still leaked. I would not accept this and finally told them to reset the window. They agreed but would not warranty the windshield if it broke. Finally talked to the outside company that was to do the work who spoke with Winn and got them to cover it (did not break on the reset). Turns out there was about 4 inches of sealant missing on the bottom right corner. Nice and quiet now.
rvmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I like zertrider's fix. It has been added to my '06 Voyage list of thing to do.

Currently, I have my windshield leak fixed by sealing the black rubber strip to the windshield and to the fiberglass cap. I also sealed the joints between the vertical rubber strip and the horizontal strips.

Earlier this spring I pulled the front TV and associated metal box out. This gave me a clear view to the inside of the front cap. I could see a rusted section above the left windshield. The right windshield looked okay. I could also see the back side of the clearance light areas. There was no sign of leaking there.

Since some have talked about clearance light leakage, I pulled these lights out anyway. My light's gaskets were severely deteriorated. At the bottom of each clearance light is a weep hole. Good gaskets or not, wind could force rain up behind the clearance lights thru these weep holes. The wires for the clearance lights are routed thru ~1" holes in the fiberglass cap. These holes were plugged with loose fitting Styrofoam plugs. I sealed any possible gap between the plugs, wires and cap with some exterior latex caulk.

Hopefully, this clearance light discussion makes sense.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote