Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Windshield gap

I am troubleshooting a very small leak from around my windshield. While doing this, I noticed a gap between the center rubber strip to the upper rubber strip. I can pull it up but I don't expect it to stay. What kind of sealer would be best there?

Someone mentioned a drip tray over the windshield, any pictures? Are they self adhesive?

I am also replacing the gasket material for the marker lights as it is sun rotted and has gaps.

Thanks,

Bruce
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If you want to determine if that is in fact where the leak comes from just put some vinyl electrical tape over the gap and see if it stops leaking the next time it rains. Virtually no cost to try this and that tape will stick for a long time.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Drip Rail - Drip Rail - Trim-Lok
Old 11-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If that is a picture of the outside, I think that the upper rubber strip is supposed to cover that gap. As for the leak, I used Scotch 1 inch black waterproof electrical sealing tape from Lowe's across the top of the upper rubber strip. Since the tape is black, it is hardly noticeable by anyone but me. Haven't had a leak in 2 years.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You want black polyurethane, (NOT silicone) that's what the pro's use to seal windshields.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Every time I thought I had a windshield leak it turned out to be leaking at the clearance lights. I mean EVERY time. Seal 'em up and see what you get, it's an easy fix.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That trim is just for looks. It doesn't cause a leak if there is a gap. The leak would be in behind that trim where the windshield is actually glued in to the coach structure. So if that is where the leak is, you should take it to a glass company. I also agree with the above comment about the marker lights. Mine was leaking from them as well. Sealed up the lights and no more leak.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
That trim is just for looks.
Ditto, that's not your leak. As stated check the clearance lights and I would look at the front cap seal on the roof.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

As some others have said, if water gets into ot bhind the clearance lights, it will show up as a leak inside your windshield.

Suggest you remove the light lenses, clean all the sealant from around the bases, and re-seal the holes inside the base and around the outside of it. I used tub and tile sealer from Lowes, and it corrected the problem I had quite a few years ago. It hasn't leaked since.

BTW, that rubber trip in your pic, is is not a water seal. It is only for appearance, and even if removed completely from the windshield, will not cause a leak.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

AS others have said........the rubber strip(s) are cosmetic only. Simply pull them out to expose the external portion of the steel frame. Treat any rust you see and then reinstall the rubber trim by simply pushing it back into the track.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On mine, the wiring for the marker lights enter from the top of the lights so it would be impossible for water to enter the cab from there unless the light fills up completely with water. I replaced all of the gaskets around the marker lights first. As stated above, the windshield seal maybe leaking due to rust around the windshield frame which according to this forum is common for Winnebagoes of this year group. The tape around the top of the rubber strip will provide an immediate fix until the proper repair can be done.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

It is interesting that replies were split between "it's the marker lights" and "it can't be the marker lights".

I pulled the marker lights apart and put in new gaskets. I made them from Insulation Tape that I got at Home Depot (Armaflex 2" wide, 1/8" thick, self adhesive). Looking at the marker light housing, the leak can't be the marker lights unless the housing is totally full of water; pretty good design, really.

I sealed the gap with Polyurethane seal and put black electrical tape to hold it in place.

I had re-sealed the front cap in September with Eternabond on top and caulk on the sides.

I looked under the rubber strip and couldn't see any rust but I did not pull the strip off. I removed the inside trip and found one very small bit of rust that was a result of a leak rather than a cause.

I am in California and we haven't had any rain for quite a while (looks like rain tonight).

So, I pretty much did everything that was suggested except for a drip rail.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

A final update, I did get rain the next day and the leak was still there.

I removed the rubber trim, found some rust (the Winnebago non-problem), treated it and sealed it with rubber windshield sealant.

Next rainstorm, no leak.

Thanks for the replies, they gave me knowledge about how to get at the leak.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I am troubleshooting a very small leak from around my windshield. While doing this, I noticed a gap between the center rubber strip to the upper rubber strip. I can pull it up but I don't expect it to stay. What kind of sealer would be best there?

Someone mentioned a drip tray over the windshield, any pictures? Are they self adhesive?

I am also replacing the gasket material for the marker lights as it is sun rotted and has gaps.

Thanks,

Bruce
That trim is called Reveal trim, and I can tell you that when you pull that trim off, it frequently 'reveals' a rusted windshield frame that can cost up to $4k if you have to have the glass pulled out (and it breaks), along with having the rust removed and the frame primered. In cases like mine and my father-in-laws, pieces of the frame had to be completely cut out and new pieces welded in.

Replacing and or sealing your current trim will not solve the problem, and that trim does nothing for water protection. In fact, you could remove all of it as it does not seal out any water, and by design, wasn't meant to: it's just for looks, as the glass is sealed in place.

You should have the windshield glass and frame inspected by an auto glass company; unfortunately, there is no guarantee to being able to see the total damage that has already taken place UNTIL you pull the windshields. The picture only shows the bottom of the frame; the frame looked similar all the way around, both pieces of glass. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9339.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	50932  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote