Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am having problems with windsheild trim.It came off on the passenger side. I replaced the tape but after a week it came loose again.has any one found a fix for this problem.
john m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am having problems with windsheild trim.It came off on the passenger side. I replaced the tape but after a week it came loose again.has any one found a fix for this problem.
john m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

John, if you could post the year and model of your unit, it might help others diagnose your problem. If you have a picture to post it would also be helpful.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

john take it to snyders, They do good work.

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

John,
Our daughter is employed by a major glass company and has had quite a few RV's in the shop for different problems with the size of the various windsheilds. The glass shops use a special type af sealent to hold them tight. I would suggest you see a certified glass dealer to do the work for you. It can be dangerous if not glued in place properly.
Safety First, Price Second.
Please stay safe, and enjoy your ventures.

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John

It would help to have more info on model & year, and more specifics ... I presume you are talking about the rubber molding on the outside of the windshield ...not the inside stuff or outside metal. My coach has metal up each ouside edge, and rubber on the rest. The rubber pops into an inner rubber piece that is secured to the metal framework with double-sided tape.

Tootall ...don't know if your daughter has made any distinction between Winnebago Class A motorhomes and other brands, but there is a significant difference. Many MH windshields are held in by the rubber, and some easily pop out when the fiberglass body is twisted due to the hole in the fiberglass being too large. Winnebago windshields are "cemented" with urethane glue to the metal framework surrounding the cab area. As far as I can see, the rubber molding is just a water seal keeping external water from getting to the metal frame. There is no way a modern Winnebago windshield can pop out ...crack perhaps, if the body is twisted enough, but not pop out.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Glass shop used the same sealent as they use for windshields on my 2000 Brave and I traded it that way. Just use the sealent in the metal grove don't stick the rubber to the outside surface or you will have a real hard time getting the rubber off if anything happens to the windshield.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We just had our windshield replaced, it was cracked, starting under the top rubber trim. Yes Winnebago uses the metal cage instead of fiber glass. The disadventage is that the metal can and will rust and causes the glass to buckle and break. Our repairman(sent by our insurance) said he has replaced many Winnebago windshields because of the rust.
I would have hoped that the rubber gasket with a good layer of "goop" would keep the metal from rusting but obviously this was not the case.

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote