Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windows fogged up - seal broken

Hello, I'm new to this so not sure if I'm in the right spot or not? I have a 2001 Adventurer and 2 of my windows are fogged up due to the insulated glass seal failing. I've tried to get glass locally but when I mention RV they tell me they don't handle glass for RV's? Yesterday I contacted a Winnebago dealer for pricing. They wanted $525 each. Holy cow! Has anyone dealt with this issue? I sure could use some advice.
Thanks
Garyslawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
common problem. there are roughly half a dozen outfits around the country that will remove and either clean or replace your windows. do a google search on RV Fogged Windows. we had ours done at Suncoast RV in Florida and can enthusiastically recommend them.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks very much for the info.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Although it's not my first choice, some owners have broken and removed the inner window panel. If your fogging is significant enough to be a safety issue this could be a stop-gap measure until you can get it replaced.

Cheap fogged window fix - iRV2 Forums

And here's another thread on repair/replacement:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/lets-...ws-401536.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The biggest concern is whether you use the rig during very cold weather; in which case having two panes is probably worth the cost of repairs (if you use it a lot during winter months).

For seasonal use, or not much during snow days, just remove the inner panel and be done with it. You don't affect the look or the integrity of the outer pane and trim, and save about $700 for two windows, not counting the trip to get it done.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have had three windows replaced by Suncoast Designers, Inc in Hudson, Florida --- very good service and they now offer a life time warranty on their work. They have spaces where you can park your RV while getting the windows worked on. If the windows are etched beyond being repaired, they can also provide new glass. Very professional organization. Their information is: 15050 Labor Place, Hudson, FL 34667, 727-868-2773. You will need to call them in advance to make an appointment for work -- they are very busy all the time.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the great responses.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are also Youtube videos of people that have taken theirs apart, cleaned them, and if the staining is really bad replaced panes, then put them back together. From what I read, it's not that difficult for a DIY'er to do.

The outer pane is safety glass and either pane can be made by a glass cutting company.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyslawr View Post
Hello, I'm new to this so not sure if I'm in the right spot or not? I have a 2001 Adventurer and 2 of my windows are fogged up due to the insulated glass seal failing. I've tried to get glass locally but when I mention RV they tell me they don't handle glass for RV's? Yesterday I contacted a Winnebago dealer for pricing. They wanted $525 each. Holy cow! Has anyone dealt with this issue? I sure could use some advice.
Thanks
the best bet is if you get by factory they will do it great folks up there. My buddy had his done there. Had a campground there and they’d. Come get his coach in morning and bring back in evenings til work was completed.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Many companies specialize in restoring RV thermopane glass. A call to a local RV dealer will usually get you the names of a few if they do not handle it themselves.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
What I have done with some, is to drill holes through the spacer/desiccant between the two panes. Blow in dry air and let the water evaporate. It will not "fog" again and you still get a bit of insulation.
Only works if you have access to the edge of the pane or disassemble the window.

The other option I use is to remove the window, disassemble, draw a pattern of the fogged dual pane and send it off to have a 3/8 safety pane made to replace it
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you're near Oregon try daverootrvglassrepair.com . He did some work for us and was very reasonable. Lots of information on his website.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ya know, I'd bet there's going to be glass repair and dual pane window repair at the Quartzsite Gem show this winter. There's everything else there RV related.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RV Fog Doctor, Searcy Arkansas. Have had several done. Good people
gromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Can the inner glass be drilled? I have the upper window (above the passenger seat) on my '04 Sunrise fogged; I thought about attempting to drill a small hole in the glass with a glass bit to allow the moisture out/blow some dry air in. Is that doable? Or would the glass shatter?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

The glass should only shatter if it's tempered glass...and that will have a special mark on the bottom (either side) of the pane. On mine it's plainly visible on the outside glass. But, ya never know these days, I'm only going by what I was told by a glass guy.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Even if you could drill a hole, there's a breach somewhere in the seal or you wouldn't have the fogging problem, so it's unlikely you could fix it as you describe. Even if you fixed the seal breach, any air you sealed inside is going to have some degree of moisture content and will likely fog depending on ambient temperature conditions.

I don't know if this helps but there are a number of repair facilities listed:

https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy...ne-rv-windows/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

What I did with my foggy windows was drill 3 holes in the seal between the panes. At the top of the glass. Than using a heat gun, heated up the moisture and air between the panes while simultaneously pumping in 25 PSI air into the middle hole from a small compressor. This drove the moisture laden air out the other 2 holes. Did that for 30 odd minutes. Finally, shut off the compressor, covered the holes with those silicon gel moisture packs and allowed the window to completely cool. Then sealed the holes.

But, that was the old fashioned dual pane windows that had a 1/2" space. That method worked fine for the smaller window, never had moisture in it again. The big window passenger side window, I did have to retreat 2 years later I think?

Anyway, here's the article I wrote about it: Double Pane Window leak repair...

Not sure it still applies to the newer more modern set of windows, but maybe someone can get some use out of the ideas.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Foggy Window Panes in RV

I had Havasu Auto Glass in Lake Havasu Arizona do my foggy window and they do an excellent job and are mobile at a reasonable price? They also are set up in Quartzsite, Arizona in January for the Big RV Tent Show for that winter season?
Their phone # is: 928-208-7604 . 😉Good Luck!
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, window