Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Been thinking of having window awnings installed, in particular on the bedroom window. DW has her head under the pillow in the morning to block the sunlight, doesn't bother me I go to bed and get up with the sun, but she's starting to get cranky. Would awnings help this and are they worth the expense on other windows on the coach. I thank you in advance for your advice.

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Been thinking of having window awnings installed, in particular on the bedroom window. DW has her head under the pillow in the morning to block the sunlight, doesn't bother me I go to bed and get up with the sun, but she's starting to get cranky. Would awnings help this and are they worth the expense on other windows on the coach. I thank you in advance for your advice.

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great for when it is raining,but not hot enough for the A/C!!!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have two windows in the bedroom of our coach.
One is on the side of the slide and is permenantly covered with Aluminum Foil and Duct Tape on the inside of the darkened glass. The day-night shade covers the duct tape/foil so it looks OK and keeps the light, sun and heat out.
The second window is the Emergency Exit/Window which has darkened glass in it with the crank out portion on the bottom of the window. We did have a Day-Night Shade there till the strings broke for the third time and in desperation we purchased a Bally room darkening shade at J.C.Penney and have had no more problems there, although I don't pull the shade down over the window when the window is opened. I do not want to get it damp from night air. We awaken by 7:00 AM but I draw the shade down before daylight, as I am an early "P Trip" person.
We do have a sun awning on the outside of our windows but they do not darken the inside of the Coach but do keep the Sun off the windows which helps with the A/C.
The Window Awnings will help keep the Sunshine off the windows but will not keep the light out.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I like mine especially for when we pull into a CG and get parked near a streetlight. I can take some light in the bedroom like daylight is too much. Used to keep a beach towel handy to hang over the window when needed. Also the one in the living area really helps keep it cooler when the sun is on that side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I installed them on all my windows (except for the cabin area and the small kitchen window) and we really like them.
They provide an amazing amount of privacy in RV parks as well as proving shielding from the sun and outside lights.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We just installed window awnings all around, even on the dinette window under the big awning.
We use them all the time for privacy, shade and keeping the inside cool. We also have full sun screens on the outside of the windshield and front side windows. We vote YES.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I always had window awning but I didn't order them on my Suncruiser. I thought I'd add them myself. But my patio awning is a special color and has to be special ordered. Thus, when Camping World had a window awning sale I couldn't get the sale price.

I decided to get a SunGuard sunshade custom made for the window that mostly gets the hot evening sun. We did not want upholstery fade and in FL the evening sun can be very hot. I always try and park with the hot evening sun on the driver's side of the coach.

I paid ~$70 for the custom made SunGuard shown in the photo below. It matches the front window SunGuards. One advantage, besides much lower costs, is these SunGurads can be left on when in storage. I still get air flow through the sunshade. Won't work for crank out windows but works great for sliders.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
KCE
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
I installed them on all my windows (except for the cabin area and the small kitchen window) and we really like them.
They provide an amazing amount of privacy in RV parks as well as proving shielding from the sun and outside lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did the same as Clay and I agree with his comments. Of course it doesn't block all the light but does block the direct sunlight which makes it a little easier on the AC on a hot sunny day.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'll add to my post concerning my window SunGuard sun shade that we have found awnings block much of the view out a window. We had to bend way down to see anything. The view out the SunGuards is unobstructed the the same as the view out the SunGuard windshield covers.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I love window awnings since they really help in keeping the coach cool and allowing the windows to be open when it's raining but can't say they do much as far as less light. The company Motor Coach Design (MCD) makes a great shade duo, a black out shade and a privacy shade that go inside in place of the day night shades. I believe their vendor is going to be at GNR this year.

We have their windshield screens and love them. They are well made and do a great job keeping the sun out of the front. Great customer service.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our unit didn't come with day/night shades so we just ordered awnings to help block out some of the sun.
Also had to get awning for the door. We didn't get that either. The gutter ends before the doorway and we get soaked.
Waiting for all this to come in.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Savannah makes a great suggestion about the MCD shades. Having gone from our Winnebago Journey with the day/night shades to the Allegro Bus with MCD shades, I can tell you first hand how much we like them.

The shades are great as far as blackout capability. When the night portion is pulled down, our motorhome stays dark. Part of the reason the system works so well though is that the shades are recessed into the valance so you don't have light coming under the sides of the shade. Depending on how your widow sides are and how tightly you can install the MCD's against the valance will determine how dark your rig is.