Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

window awning

[Can anyone give me the directions for replacing window awning fabric on AE window awning hardware. I know you have to be careful when taking the roller with the fabric off the arms. But how to make sure it does not unroll.
boydj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Last time i did one you open awning completely. There is a hole on each side of the arm and you put a nail in there to hold assbly and spring in place
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Window awning fab replacement

after you pull the awning all the way open and put the nail in to hold the spring whats the next step of getting the fabric off the roller?
boydj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Former Winnebago Owner

After you have pinned the roller to prevent loss of spring tension (you will need a long skinny nail or a piece of heavy wire) take a close look at the ends of the roller assembly. One end should be removable (or maybe both) so that the roller with fabric attached can be lifted up and out of the roller arm assembly. Next look at the fabric on the coach side there may be a sheet metal screw on one or both ends that prevent the fabric from "walking" out of the rail. Remove the screw(s) lift the roller up and slide the fabric out of the coach side rail.
For installation just reverse the process. Do check the rail on the coach and spread it apart a bit to make sliding the new fabric in easy and file off any rough edges so the new fabric doesn't snag and tear. Spraying the rail with a bit of silicon spray can help with sliding the fabric in.
Take a look at the Tough Tops web site (www.http://toughtopawnings.com), there are several videos there for replacing awning, topper and window awning fabric.

This is a great DIY project that can save a bunch of money and you can end up with higher quality fabric than the OEM used. I just replaced the topper fabric on my full wall slide, with fabric in hand it only took about 3 hours. I needed additional time to rewind the roller spring - a bit tricky but not difficult.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked YouTube to see if there is a video on this? I found one a while back and it looked pretty easy to do with two people but you need to make sure the spring is locked like they are talking with a nail. The fabric slides out and then new one back in.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

NMBluept gave a great verbal description.

Go to YouTube and search for RVGeeks. They have a couple of outstanding videos on replacing slideout toppers and awnings.

Warning! While informative, their videos are essentially product commercials. In this case, www.http://toughtopawnings.com. If you go to toughtop first, their website directs you to the RVGeeks' installation video. Hmmmmm.

But, they convinced me, and we replaced both slideout toppers with toughtop. Pleased with quality. Doable for one person. Two people much, much more doable.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, window