Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wind noise -- Driver's side window

I am getting a fair amount of wind noise from the sliding driver's side window on my recently acquired 2011 34Y Meridian. The seals appear to be in good condition. Is this just a bad design? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Wind noise -- Driver's side window

You may have lost a weep hole cover.

http://www.rvpartstore.com/products.php?cat=74

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ... I will check this out next time I am at the storage lot.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Please update us when you can.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
YC1
Winnebago Owner

My new rv came with weep hole covers and they still made too much noise for me. I use wide plastic tape you can buy at Home Depot to cover them. If you are careful and do not press the area into the groove they will still drain fine and no more noise. You won't notice the tape.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Does it make the same noise regardless whether or not the lock is engaged?
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It is a little quieter with the lock engaged, which is the way I normally drive.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ok, just thought I would check. On ours the passenger side window doesn't want to seat all the way back in the track when you close it and if you engage or try to engage the lock it just pushes the window away from the other one. Thought maybe it would be a simple fix. :(
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My previous MH was a C-class with roll-up automotive windows, so I may be expecting too much from a sliding window in a 65 mph gale. I have had no previous experience with A-classes, so the wind noise I hear may be "normal". I had also expected my DP to be quiet in the cockpit with the engine in the rear, but there is still significant noise from the wind and tires. It sure beats the screaming Ford V10 going up hills though. I guess it is a truck after all.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just yesterday saw a neat trick to find wind leaks. Spray a soap solution on the outside and use an air hose to blow on the inside. Bubbles? TA DA!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Please update us when you can.
I finally got back to the storage facility and I can report that the weep hole covers are in place, so I will have to look for other sources of the noise.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Bummer. I was hoping it would be it. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

For what it is worth, when I picked up my new Hurricane this February....I thought I had a lot of wind noise on both drivers side, and passenger side windows. Went through all this trouble shooting...taping around the windows, spraying to find leaks, making sure windows are seated,,, and even checking to be sure the window frames were installed tightly. Then a few months ago, I was sitting in line for my turn to get a front end alignment, and realized I did not like the way my mirrors wee adjusted. To get the angle I wanted, I had to get an allen wrench, and adjust both mirror housings....and then adjusted the mirrors to my liking...... never gave it a second thought...until the drive home...and something was wrong!! I could hear myself think!! The obnoxious wind noise was coming simply from the particular way the mirror housings happened to be faced into the wind. I never said a word to the DW....and next time she rode in the coach, she noticed it right away, as we could actually carry on a conversation!!

Cheers, Tom
Old 09-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Tytlfamily - can you post a pic or describe what angle you changed the mirror to, please.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Are you sure it's the window? There have been many cases of reported wind noise that turned out to be wind across the drivers side mirror. In many cases readjusting the mirror redirects the air flow and the noise is either eliminated or minimized.

I'm not sure if your side view cameras are mounted in the mirrors on along the body. If you have the ones in the mirrors the mirrors are set at the factory for the best field of vision for the camera. However our mirrors needed to be adjusted for better drivers field of vision. In doing so it eliminated wind noise I thought was coming from the window.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I've found that in my class C the windows make a lot of noise. I've searched to see if there is a seal or product I can place to quiet it down, to no luck. Right now I put folded cardboard in between the 2 sliding windows to keep them quiet while driving.
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabago View Post
Tytlfamily - can you post a pic or describe what angle you changed the mirror to, please.

Dont have a pic handy....but my adjustment resulted in the passenger, and driver side mirror, both being turned so they were more blunt to the wind. Not sure if that makes sense, but worth a few minutes to play around with them!!
Cheers, Tom
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Air Noise at Drivers Side Window

I just purchased my first motorhome, a 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E and the wind noise at the drivers side window is intolerable. CW staff says that this wind noise is typical of all motorhomes to some degree. On a recent trip to the midwest, my wife and I could not converse as it was so loud. I will try the mirror configuration when I get it back from service in late October and post my results. I see that the 2015 has the same window mirror configuration.
beharmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
I second what Tom says. If you turn the drivers mirror arm out so that the mirror is more perpendicular to the road...it makes less noise.
Totally would have never thought all that noise was the mirrors. But, 99% goes away if adjusted properly.

Darren

Tags
driver, noise, wind noise, window