Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Why Low Pressure Propane for Barbecue

Why did Winnie supply a propane line for a barbecue that is low pressure? This has caused us to remove the regulator from our barbecue for it to work. This now limits where we can use the barbecue. I searched on barbecue and could not find any that work on low pressure out of the box. All they had to do was connect the line before the regulator and then all barbecues would work.......................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You can't use just any grille, it has to be a grille designed for use with the LP system. All RVs are like that.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't understand the problem. Either remove the regulator from the grill and use a long hose to put it where you want or re plumb the tank keep the regulator and use a long hose and put the grill where you want. It's hard for a manufacturer to please everyone. I use bottles so no issues at all many choices.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No one said we weren't using an LP grill. My question is that all LP grills have regulators on them to convert them to low pressure from the tanks. In order to use the line the line that Winnie supplied you need to modify your grill(by removing the regulator) so that it is no longer usable from a tank, only via the MH.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Why not just put a Quick disconnect on the regulator to the grill? And the same on the hose from the MH. Problem fixed.
They do make LP Quick disconnects.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not all grills have regulators. Ones designed to use with an RV do not.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

To your point--yes, it is a pain but most RVs put the main regulator on the tank, perhaps so you dont have hi-pressure propane piped throughout the coach in the event of an accident. I finally had to re-plumb a high pressure stub off the main tank. But event then, there are a number of propane connections that have some sort of pressure differential device incorporated, that doesnt allow hi-pressure propane to flow above a certain rate. You cant believe what I went thru to get my "campfire in a can" to work off the main RV tank!!!!!!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Jesilvas,

Weber, which is sold at Camping World and numerous Rv stores all have regulators and they are by far the favorite grill for RVers from what I have seen.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Triker56,

The pressure is wrong. The hose is not a problem........

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sue,

I agree it's a inconvenience to remove the regulator from the grill. My guess is that WGO delivers regulated pressure to the MH outlet as a liability concern. It could be dangerous to connect a non-regulated device to a "tank pressure" connection. In our case I simply removed the regulator from our small Weber and dedicated that grill to our MH.
I recently purchased a portable dual-burner control Cusinart SS grill with over twice the BTU as the small Weber. The Cusinart came with a 5 foot hose with a regulator attached to the hose. I simply adapted a fitting to the grills flare connection with a quick connect fitting for my MH 10 foot hose and don't use the supplied hose or regulator. Works great and I really like having dual burners. Since I permanently adapted the fitting to the grill, this grill is now dedicated for use to within 10 feet of the MH.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We have finally accepted that we can't have everything and will take the regulator off. Good idea by Winnie but would prefer an Extnd-A-Stay implmentation vs. this hassle.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Camping World sells 2 different models of grills that are designed to work on RV's.
Sidekick Grill and Stainless Steel Mountable Grill
Old 10-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Many RV companies provide a low-pressure propane line and usually with a connector that only they use so you can buy their Grill, which is of course over priced, and plug in.

We the folks who know what's up install a Extend-a-Stay type device (Alas that specific one is no longer made but there are competitor's products) and run our high pressure grills as they were designed.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

install high pressure valve

I had same issue. Added a high pressure valve. Cost was $200. Works great.
dagreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane