Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Why a Winnebago?

Lots of good information about the models you have chosen and the reasons you have chosen that model that made it 'the one' for you, but I have a more basic question for you all...

Why did you choose a Winnebago over all the others out there? What kept bringing you back to this manufacturer?

My thanks!

Lindsay
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The floorplans were an initial attraction. As our 2003 Fleetwood Excursion was having its batteries replaced, I wandered a local dealer lot and the 2008 Tour 40TD caught my eye. It had two long overlapping slides that made the living room nice and wide. The Excursion was our intro to motorhomes, but it was getting a bit snug on longer trips.

We bought the Tour and took it out on frequent trips averaging two weeks per month on the road. It was getting a lot of use with few problems.

Then, I was reading about lots of different coaches, but none of them interested me...until I saw the 2011 Tour 42QD. At the time, nobody had anything comparable to that floor plan. I told my wife "it's a good thing they don't have one at the local dealer or we'd be writing a check". Not too long afterward, I was driving by and saw the dealer had one...uh oh. She wanted to see it and sure enough, out came the checkbook.

This one has had a few more problems, but nothing that would be a deal breaker. With the AquaHot, I was able to leave it on our lot that's 230 miles away while our RV garage was being built. The cold temperatures and snow were no match for the AquaHot. I didn't winterize it and the pipes were fine. We've had it for 30 months now and still find it to be the best floor plan for us.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Winnebago is the largest manufacturer with the financial strength to weather the recession. Chances are that they're not going away any time soon like so many others.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That local dealer didn't happen to be Affinity, did it? I might have walked through your coach before you took it home! :-)

Thanks for your reply! I confess there are so many things I like about Winnebagos but it seems people are very loyal (or hate) what they have. I like all the storage and the longer/more counter space- even in the medium size units.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Safety

Our 1st 2nd and 3rd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2139477125.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	49901  
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We chose WBGO for several reasons. We had two MHs then switched to a TT. Big mistake. there is no comparison in quality. We had three TTs in 4 years and decided instead of getting a TT then spending a lot of time and $$$$ trying to make it better we decided to look at MHs.

We found some floor plans in the WBGO line are decided to contact LMs in Forest City Iowa. They offered to look at our 2014 TT for a trade so we went up there.

It was early May and about time for their model change over and we really had not had many chances to see what our eventual coach would look like especially with the newer (2014 interior decor). We did the factory tour and were able to see a bunch of coaches that were on the shipping lot. We were able to see every different color of interiors that were available.

Now I realize that there are probably a lot of very well built coaches available. We don't have the $$$$ to go crazy so we just wanted a 30' coach with slides for just the 2 of us. We don't have the $$$$ for a 40+ DP.

As we toured the factory we noticed that everybody was very relaxed and happy in their jobs. The area is also a heavy farming community. I believe that the work ethic of that type of community has a positive effect on what happens in the factory.

At the time of our tour we were told that they produce about 150 units a week. They are employing many technically up to date methods of construction and their QC seems to be everywhere.

We ordered our coach and picked it up at the dealer in Iowa at the end of July. The coach was not without some minor problems (that have been fixed) and we have only driven it about 3,000 miles. The coach is built well and we are satisfied with everything about it. I think they are a good company that tries hard to build units that meet the needs of those choosing this type of life style.

TeJay
Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
That local dealer didn't happen to be Affinity, did it? I might have walked through your coach before you took it home! :-)
Guilty as charged, your honor! It's tucked away in the RV garage now, you'll never find it. By Thanksgiving, it'll be somewhere else

Heh, I just noticed your location. We might be neighbors. I'm in the Williamson Valley area.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I can look across the road and Chino Wash to see you; Granite Mountain is the view out our living room window... ;-) I am sure my husband and I have ridden our mc's past your door on the way to Prescott. Pretty ride!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago is the largest motorhome manufacturer in the world, not likely to go out of business. They have a library of schematics for 12V wiring, 120VAC wiring, plumbing, entertainment wiring, etc. for every coach they produced since the late 1990's. The have a complete parts catalog for them too.
BTW, my name is Ray, my wife's name is Lin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Started out the usual way, tent, tent trailer, travel trailer and then came time for the big dollar investment into a motorhome. Seems like we shopped forever, I really liked the Dolphin and She who must be obeyed liked the '89 Chieftain so that was our first. Got involved with WIT Club, who became like family and so forever and ever we stay with Winnebago Products. With poor health issues we are on our last rig but look back at a good run without regret, we have been well served.
As a parting comment "Winnebago" has become the generic term for motorhome.

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good names travel together... :-)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Fuel to the fire...

After reading so many posts, I can see there is a definite preference for dp or gasser for many different reasons. I confess I have been veering towards gasser as it seems I can get a nicer, more livable interior for the same $$ as more basic dp (same length). I am trying to balance the needs of shorter time driving against the longer time parked.

My first question: for those of you with gassers, do you really feel as if the engine you have is working too hard to get you down the road or is a dp honestly just 'nice to have' ?

And secondly, I have seen the ratio of 1 foot for each 100 hp- some say for gas while others say it is for both dp and gassers. How does your model measure up to this ratio and, in your experience, does it apply? Is this a reasonable benchmark Is there a length of a gasser that is too long?

And my husband would like to know if anyone, assuming they really know how to and have the experience in driving hills and mountains, has felt as if their coach was out of control (gasser brake vs exhaust brake, etc comparison).

Thanks all- I am sure there will be more...

Goodnight,

Lindsay
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have been through the mountains of Georgia/Alabama, Apalations, White Mountains, Thousand Islands region and Catskills with my 35U with the Ford F53. It has kept up well with the diesel truckers even able to continue on with out pulling over into the climbing lane when some of the diesels had to without having to beat on the engine. I have no reservations on the F53 with the V10.

Anything based on a Workhorse chassis which is what I really wanted but now am thankfull I did not get I would stay away from just based on their attitude and dragging out the multitude of brake issues that they had.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
After reading so many posts, I can see there is a definite preference for dp or gasser for many different reasons. I confess I have been veering towards gasser as it seems I can get a nicer, more livable interior for the same $$ as more basic dp (same length). I am trying to balance the needs of shorter time driving against the longer time parked.

My first question: for those of you with gassers, do you really feel as if the engine you have is working too hard to get you down the road or is a dp honestly just 'nice to have' ?

And secondly, I have seen the ratio of 1 foot for each 100 hp- some say for gas while others say it is for both dp and gassers. How does your model measure up to this ratio and, in your experience, does it apply? Is this a reasonable benchmark Is there a length of a gasser that is too long?

And my husband would like to know if anyone, assuming they really know how to and have the experience in driving hills and mountains, has felt as if their coach was out of control (gasser brake vs exhaust brake, etc comparison).

Thanks all- I am sure there will be more...

Goodnight,

Lindsay
I started with a TT and Dodge Dakota and had to upgrade my tow rig after going across country, not enough power. bought a Ram 3500 SRW QC and then upgraded to a 5th wheel. Loved it except for not having an exhaust brake going thru the mountains so I added one. What a difference when driving thru the mountains. Oh yeah I also upgrade my 5th wheel to something better and bigger.
IK so I traded up to a Class A MH, used 2003 Itasca with the Ford chassis. It was OK but we wanted something that had better handling because I wanted to take it across country. The 03 was OK but not the best when doing the hills, up or down.
Traded up to 2014 Itasca, Ford chassis but updated transmission controls. Ford managed to install a transmission brake for assisting in controlling the ascent down a steep grade. This works very good and does a great job of bringing the MH down in speed so you don't burn up the brakes on the down side. Now all they need is more power so it doesn't seem to struggle as much on the up side of the mountain.
DP's are better for long haul but the savings you get on maintenance and initial cost of the gasser vise the DP can far out way having to go a bit slower. But then going slower is good thing, that way you can actually see the world.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The Why part is because Winnie has been a staple household name for a motorhome for decades along with one of the few with a steel rollcage up front and a metal superstructure that they proved out by dropping the coaches from a crane upside down as part of their design process.

At the RV shows I pay attantion to the fit and finish of the interiors compared to even such high end coaches as Prevost amd Newells. The last time I looked many of those coaches had numerous quality issues such as sharp edges not eased on the woodwork like cabinette and passage doors with such sharp edges that if you pinched you fingers you would not only get a bruise but also potentially a deep gash. In some of the Newels I found cabinett doors with such raw edges you could have gotten splinters if you brushed you hand or arm along them. Bathroom counters and cabinetts with sharp edges are another tell I look for. In the Winnies most I looked at had nicely eased and softened edges in the bathroom that would be less likely to injure you while many of the other even frightfully expensive coaches had sharp edges that could inflict cuts and scrapes especially on wet skin fresh out of a hot shower.

A lot of little things like that which could be easily solved by a kid with something as simple as a sanding block going over items before finish is applied or the design team really thinking out if this is a good idea or not in a tight space such as an RV bathroom.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Been motorhoming for 30 years with Honey's to Beavers and Vogues. Have a 2011 Itasca 42 Ellipse and this is by far the most "stuff" and quality for the dollar. Additionally the manuals are best and easiest to use. Could have paid a lot more, but this is the best cost/ft I've found.
Shotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

It was the quality! Only two manufacturers made our elimination, Tiffin and Winnebago. Although we felt the service at Tiffin was best, we found the overall quality of Winnebago was more important.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Reasons I chose a Winnebago product: The ergonomics of the interior design is most convenient. The ability to service the coach using the data base on the Internet at Winnebago. The ability to have parts for the interior and exterior available for any year manufactured is a plus when parts are damaged. The quality of fit and finish of the materials used in construction. The durability of the components installed. The chassis is commercially manufacture and has service throughout the North America. We have also used the Freightliner manufacturing service facility at Gaffney, SC. They are excellent.

While I am not satisfied with the local dealer service; the service at the Winnebago manufacturing facility in Forest City, Iowa is excellent.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=RayAndLin;1805312]That local dealer didn't happen to be Affinity, did it? I might have walked through your coach before you took it home! :-)

RayandLin and KJBurns - It is a small world. We live in Iowa, 173 from Forest City. And 1,588 miles from Prescott. We just made the trip to Prescott this past June to purchase our new Journey 34Y, at Affinity RV. Back to the Winnebago topic. We have had Winne's since 1995 when we bought a 1989 Brave. In 2002 we went to a 30' Class C and in 2008 we bought a new Itasca 36' Class A. In 2012 we wanted to move up to a DP, in the 34' to 36' range. We found the Journey 34Y floorplan and fell in love with it. That plan gave away to the 34B in 2013. We looked and looked and when we would find one in Alabama or New Jersey or Oregon and would call, it would be sold. I finally found a brand new 2011 (in 2013) in Prescott, After a few phone calls and a number of emails we were on the road to Arizona. We now have put almost 7,000 miles on the rig and we thoroughly love it to death. Winnebago has a super dealership here in the Davenport,IA area. Winnebago is one of the oldest and largest MH manufactures in the world and the people I have dealt with in Davenport, Forest City, or Prescott have been fantastic. They may not be the best, but after 18 years of good service, quality products and friendly people, I don't see the need to look elsewhere. JMHO....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We did factory tours at: Monaco, NewMar, Tiffin and Winnebago. Winnebago has the most modern facility. We looked at many motor homes before we bought and we think Winnebago has the best BANG for the buck. We are on our third new Winnebago and love them all. For the dollars the Adventurer/Suncriuser give you the same interior as the Journey/Meriden. The gassers are cheaper to buy and to own but we average 14K a year and the DP is just SO MUCH BETTER for driving.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

We researched literally for years while working and looking toward retirement. Went to every RV show that came along, stopped at dealers, visited friends with RVs. After all that poking, prodding, pushing on walls (amazing how many actually move!) , and looking in all the crooks and crannies inside and out we narrowed down to Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffin in that order. Lurking on owner groups online, searching out customer complaint boards, and seeing what brands were being sold in the first three years of ownership definitely helped form our opinion that both Winnie customer satisfaction and customer service was very, very good. In learning about construction, the steel cage around the Winnebago cockpit plus other Winnie construction differences made it an even stronger preference. We have had our UA for just over 10 years now, a bit over 80k miles, and in spite of continuing to go to some RV shows we have never been tempted to trade. As someone said along the journey, "Your can spend more for an RV, but you will have a tough time getting more for your money than with a Winnebago." Count us on the happy Winnie owner side!

Tags
winnebago