Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Who services your motorized RV?

We have a 2014 Minnie Winnie on a Chevrolet chassis with a 6.0 gasoline engine. We wanted an oil change and some minor mechanical work done. Our local Chevrolet dealer, Ford dealer, GMC dealer and a truck center all refused to service it. After having 2 Mercedes Sprinters that required a 100 mile drive to a service center in the closest city, we thought that we could get this Chevrolet serviced locally. We now have an appointment with an independent service center but we don't know if they will work on the mechanical issue or not. We live in Southern Illinois. Any suggestions on where to get service on a mini motorhome?
Winnie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
our chassis is serviced by a local independent shop that caters to trucks and motorhomes. it's also where we store it. the shop has a key so when we want service i send them a fax or e-mail with the work order. they pull it in, do the work and put it back in our spot. we had no chassis issues during the warranty period but we do have a ford truck service center about an hour away. our local selling dealer services the coach.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

So much for the "don't buy a Mercedes Sprinter chassis, you won't be able to get it serviced nearby" versus the "you can get your non-Mercedes based motorhome serviced anywhere" myth. I guess it depends on where you live, either way.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
....I guess it depends on where you live, either way.
yup.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Team

I have used an independent RV service shop - two actually - for all of my chassis service on my 2017 Gas Class A motorhome.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like rk911 has it figured out. I hope it works out for us at the independent shop.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Team

I would suggest you call:

FAST Truck and Trailer
13160 North Liebengood Lane,
Mount Vernon, IL 62864
618-244-5010

OR Try these folks:

Truck Centers, Inc. Mt. Vernon
621 S. 45th St. (I-64/I-57 at IL-15)
Mt. Vernon, IL 62864
Phone: (618) 244-2545

See, the key to searching for someone to service your RV is to search for "Commercial Truck" service and repair shops.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As mine is a Ford chassis, I called all the ford commercial dealers in the area. I got a recommendation for one that services RV's which is about 40 miles from where we live. That is a win, as we already needed our first oil change.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

To Creative Part: Thanks for your suggestions. Our appointment is with FAST. Truck Centers declined. Sundog964's suggestion to look for commercial dealers sounds like a good idea. Thanks all!!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Minnesota Service

Kremer Services is in the Twin Cities (MN) area.

https://kremerservices.net/

It takes some patience, but we have had good luck finding service all around the USA. In general, the Ford E450 is easy to find providers for, but not all shops will accommodate.

Apple Valley Ford (Commercial Division) is another option in the Twin Cities.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Try Vic Koenig Chevrolet in Carbondale. Skip the service department and ask to speak to Vic directly. Www.vickoenig.com.
willido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

In thinking about getting back into RVs again, after decades away. I really struggled with the thought of 7 or 8 MPG. I fell in love with the Class B Plus units, based on the Mercedes Sprinter diesels. Their almost amazing fuel economy, and added towing capacity seemed too good to be true.
Now also understand that we live on Social Security, and having had a family of six, didn't end up with lots of money socked away for "The Golden Years."
As I live fairly close to a Mercedes dealership, I decided I needed to talk to their service dept, to see what they had to say.
I walked into their service office. I looked around for the most age and gray hair. I ask him if he had a few minutes. In those minutes, I found out that a Mercedes Sprinter is a thoroughbred, that delivers much, but at a price. And that also, any piece of a Mercedes costs a lot more than some Chevy would. You do a Service A, or alternating Service B; each year. It's not based on miles driven. I got the impression from him that the cheapest one was going to be $700 plus, and the other, over $1,000.
Since I don't expect to really put on lots of miles, dividing these kind of costs into a modest amount of miles driven really drives up the cost per mile, and really drastically affects my "Hoped for" Warm Glow and bragging rights of getting 25 MPG.
Now God bless you, if these numbers are almost Chump Change for you. I would completely understand your purchase of a Mercedes Sprinter based unit. If I won the lottery, they'd likely be on my list too.
But I bought an older 30 ft. Winnie, with a 500 cube gas V-8. It seems to get about 8 MPG, but there's nothing all that exodic about it, and the parts are pretty common and reasonable. It will need an oil change every now and again, but w/o a turbo, it won't require synthetics to protect it, or worry about a $450 fuel filter every 20,000 miles. The truth is I've on the bottom edge of justifying a motor home purchase, and just hope I can keep it affordable enough to use one for a while. Hope to see you out there.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The Mercedes introduces high "fixed costs" into your RV budget. (No more $50 oil changes). Unless you can do the service yourself, better have a hefty income in order to afford the Mercedes lifestyle.

Gas is a controllable cost. You can decide how far to drive. If gas prices are low (now), take a long trip and you can budget for exactly what the anticipated cost will be.

Mercedes name does not guarantee quality or good performance. Can still have trouble just like with Ford. Overall very happy with the Ford E450. As I stated in my previous post in this thread, service is fairly easy to come by. Service providers see a lot of this chassis so they have the parts on hand and "know how".
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I found a great truck shop I highly recommend for anyone in the Sacramento area, Mike and Son's Truck Repair:

https://www.mikeandsonstruckrepair.com/

Not only do they repair RVs, they're RV owners. They've gone above and beyond for me, including giving me advice via an extended after-hours phone conversation one Friday when I had a problem on the road. "My guy" is Robert.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service