Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a no body paint 2003 and the white strips between the rear cap and the front are always turning yellow especially when they are in direct sunlight. I tried some cleaners but it takes a lot of work to get it off and in a month or less it's back, What do you all use?

The second issue is the toppers on the slids. The front edge is coming apart, I guess due to the wind catching the edge while moving. They are tight and there isn't any flapping that I can see. Has anyone had the same issue? If so what did you do to resolve it?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a no body paint 2003 and the white strips between the rear cap and the front are always turning yellow especially when they are in direct sunlight. I tried some cleaners but it takes a lot of work to get it off and in a month or less it's back, What do you all use?

The second issue is the toppers on the slids. The front edge is coming apart, I guess due to the wind catching the edge while moving. They are tight and there isn't any flapping that I can see. Has anyone had the same issue? If so what did you do to resolve it?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ed:

If you do a search on slide toppers, I think you will find many of us have had to replace the A&E topper fabric due to the issue you describe. I had some heavy fabric custom made for my 2002. I believe some with newer coaches have been able to get A&E to replace their fabric...certainly worth a call to A&E to find out.

Can't help with the other issue.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ed,
I'm not sure what you mean by the white strips between the rear and the front. Do you mean the white sides of the motorhome? If so, I have talked to the mfg. of the sides and they say there is nothing that you can do. The fiberglass will have a natural discoloration and that it eventually slows down. The best thing to do is keep a good coat of wax on it to reduce or slow the discoloration. The items on the sides like the framing of the slide which is painted will not discolor like the sides themselves.

As far as the slide toppers, don"t get me started!!
Like smlranger said, there are several recent topics about this. I called A&E and they say their patio awning has a 3 year warranty and the slide toppers have a 1 year. When I told them of all the people having this issue, they played dumb. Something they are very good at!! I had the bedroom slide one replaced during the first couple of months I owned it for tearing. The living room slide is now doing it. I have an extended warranty on mine and I believe that this point that it will be covered by that. Otherwise, one of the suggestions was to put like an eternalbond or similar tape on the tear.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the feedback,
No, the sides of the RV look as good as new no discoloration and match very well with the caps. The white strips are the rubber/vinyl tape that cover the screws that hold the front and rear caps on. They are between the sides and the caps.
I might end up painting them!
As far as the Toppers If I do end up replacing them I'll replace them with the toppers they use on the Alfa Gold lighter and are more like a woven fabric. No water pooling and keeps the leaves and trash off the top of the slides.
Check your extended warranty mine excludes them. We checked the fine print.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ed wrote...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried some cleaners but it takes a lot of work to get it off and in a month or less it's back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, have you tried a product called "Westleys Bleche-Wite"?,Its intended purpose is to "whiten" whitewalls, but it does a good job whitening the appropriate material in tennis shoes too.:&gt I buy it at Checker or Pep Boys Auto parts, but it's widely available.If you havn't tried this already, a treatment with that product, followed immediatly with some 303 (protect all) may help keep the strips white...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Just to follow-up I taped the sides and spray painted the vinyl strips with Plastic spray paint it's been a while and no yellowing..
Old 08-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Both of my slide topper awsnings ripped a little at the leading edge right next tor the coach. I replaced the awnings with the aluminum covered teype. They mount differently to the coach and that seems to have solved the problem.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

3 yrs ago my slide awnings started to wear, white duct tape gave my another year you could not tell the tape was there. Finally I complained to A+E I thinks its Dometic, they agreed to replace the fabric free if I provided the install. I think I just got lucky.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The screw strip moulding can be re-conditioned in a couple of ways.

The longest lasting is to mask the sides and spray paint with some Krylon Fusion paint after you wipe them down with wax and grease remover.

The other option is the use of a harsh chemical, Westley's Bleachie White, or Simple Green, will roll the yellow right off the vinyl and clean it up. Be careful with getting it on the sides and drying, as it will look awful and then that will require some rubbing compound.

I'd opt for spray painting, and then you don't have to worry about it for several months/years.
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yep....I painted our screw strips and replaced the toppers.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The vinyl strip you can buy a roll of new for next to nothing and replace it. I removed the topper from our bedroom slide out as I got tired of it making noise in the wind and keeping me awake. The material was also getting in bad shape. I may replace the material some day but for now it's just fine without. Thousands of RV's have no toppers and I have no probems with it off.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I hear you, but eventually the new will get yellow too... Painting is a more permanent solution. As far as the topper, I do see and agree that other RV's don't have them but??? You have to be careful not to crank in branches, leaves, dirt, etc. they could tear the gasket.. I guess you could always get up on a ladder and sweep it off??