Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

NO whine, squeel, or howl

Hi Gang,

After repairing corrosion and cleaning up inside the A/c, I dropped the two blower assemblies in, reconnected their wires, and turned on the A/C. In short order the A/C was running, QUIETLY

so, Thanks to Bill's detailed instructions and the support of the iRV2 community, it appears I have repaired my A/C.

I replaced the outdoor blower fan and the two bearings. I replaced the original bronze bearings with ball bearings. Again, at the suggestion of Bill.

Now, I need to bolt and screw the two blower assemblies back in place, put the sheet metal screws back in, and reinstall the unit in the motorhome. Something can always go wrong, but I'm fairly confident right now that this project is on its way to being a big success.

Thanks for all the help.
Bruce
JucenBrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JucenBrudi View Post
Hi Gang,

After repairing corrosion and cleaning up inside the A/c, I dropped the two blower assemblies in, reconnected their wires, and turned on the A/C. In short order the A/C was running, QUIETLY

so, Thanks to Bill's detailed instructions and the support of the iRV2 community, it appears I have repaired my A/C.

I replaced the outdoor blower fan and the two bearings. I replaced the original bronze bearings with ball bearings. Again, at the suggestion of Bill.

Now, I need to bolt and screw the two blower assemblies back in place, put the sheet metal screws back in, and reinstall the unit in the motorhome. Something can always go wrong, but I'm fairly confident right now that this project is on its way to being a big success.

Thanks for all the help.
Bruce
Those inst are priceless. I hope yours is a done deal
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
this project is on its way to being a big success
I probably need to do the same with mine. It is beginning to get a bit of a start-up squawk again ...but as a fulltimer with no home base, having the right place to do the job is the biggest problem...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
ut as a fulltimer with no home base, having the right place to do the job is the biggest problem...
It may be more feasible than it sounds.

Bill's instructions mentioned he used the bench of a picnic table to hold his unit when working at a campground. The instructions show two five gallon buckets with planks as his work stand. That would work at a campground or most camp sites.

I worked with a makeshift stand in my driveway and threw plastic sheeting over it when I wasn't working on it. Once the two blower assemblies were out it was much easier to move and a couple times I just tucked it back in the RV when I wasn't working on it, as when I was waiting for parts to come in.

Of course, we weren't staying in it at the time and the unit was out of service for a week or two as I worked in my spare time. Still, at the right place and season, being without it would be little hardship.

Bruce
JucenBrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=JucenBrudi;690058]Hi Bill et al.,

In my defense, about the screws, I believe I had a perfect fit. The screw heads just seemed soft. Hex heads promise to fare better. I'll use Loctite.

when screws are tight or loctighted, use a grinding compound or coarse rubbing compound on the screwdriver tip. if you don't have a grinding compound, use a gritty toothpaste such as crest.
this usually gives me enough grip to get the screw out without destroying the head.
this is an old aircraft mechanics remedy for getting over torqued screws out of panels.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote