Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

In preparation for a service appointment, I want to be armed with the exact model number for my C-7 as well as oil capacity, oil filter part number, etc. I've gone through all my documentation suitcase and I'll be darned...nothing is there from Winnebago, Cat nor Freightliner. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can enter my VIN and come away with which version C-7 I have? For example, I know there is a "deep pan" and "shallow pan" version which have different oil capacities. Even the size of the drain plug is different between models.

Best regards,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In preparation for a service appointment, I want to be armed with the exact model number for my C-7 as well as oil capacity, oil filter part number, etc. I've gone through all my documentation suitcase and I'll be darned...nothing is there from Winnebago, Cat nor Freightliner. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can enter my VIN and come away with which version C-7 I have? For example, I know there is a "deep pan" and "shallow pan" version which have different oil capacities. Even the size of the drain plug is different between models.

Best regards,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Look at the oil pan. If the sides are smooth then it's the shallow pan and uses 24 quarts of oil.

There are two fuel filters and one oil filter.

Napa filters:

Oil # 1791XE $17.87

Fuel: 3812 and 3626. $30.08 and $9.62

I had a full lube job, including exhaust brake lube, added an extension to slobber tube, brake light bulb replaced, oil change with filter and both fuel filters, checked front hub oil, oil and filter change in generator plus did the spark arrester cleaning. Total bill was $350.21

Kinda steep but two guys worked on it for about 3.5 hours. I don't have a place to do it myself and no place close to get rid of the old oil.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ke0M -- You should have your engine s/n for your Cat C7. If you don't, call FL, give them the last 6 of your VIN and they will tell you what you have.

Then call CAT and they will tell you whether you have the deep sump or the shallow sump.

Note - CAT and FL dealers will always service you based on the s/n of your engine (or chassis). I have all my s/n's printed out for this specific purpose.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Meridian with the C-7 330 HP Cat with the smooth sided oil pan and as has been reported by Cat the oil capacity has changed to 19 qts to avoid spewing all the excess out the slobber tube. And 19 qts comes to the full mark on my dip stick. Have read posts where the shop has installed 24-26 qts and everything out the back was covered with oil at the first stop after traveling a ways.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Usually there is a plate under the front hood that gives all the pertinent numbers..models etc..good miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You can always crawl under your rig and look - there should be a sticker on the side of the oil pan with the CAT serial number.

The Freightliner S/N is posted several places (look for the "incomplete vehicle VIN") including the data plate in your coach and on a placard above your generator and I think also on your rear radiator.

You can call FL with your VIN and they can tell you what engine was spec'd with your unit. Should also be able to call Winny with your coach serial number...

I think all the Winnebago CAT's are shallow-pan models, which as was posted above have been re-rated to 19qts vs 22 to reduce blow-by. You should get the dipstick recalibrated when you take it in for an oil change. FWIW, I refill mine with 20qts which is exactly 5 gallon jugs and do not have any blow-by.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If you are taking your rig to a CAT certified Service Outlet the first move they make should be to hook up their Computer to Your Engine Computer and download the history of your engine. Get a print out for your records.
It tells all kinds of interesting information.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just had my coach into FL for service and oil change. Had them check and calibrate dip stick if it wasn't done. They downloaded all the computer info and gave me a copy. Refilled oil with 22 gts. Said 'that is about what it takes', also they said they check dipstick calibration unless they know for sure it has been done. They told me '05 and newer has diverter for blow by. I have had it puke before and cover my toad so I wonder. No problem on the 30 + mile drive home.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

When our rig was new we attended GNR.

I attended the CAT seminar. I gave them the VIN number of my coach. The next day they gave me the model of my engine and the serial number.

They also gave me the exact model number and serial number of my transmission.

In addition they gave me the model numbers and serial numbers of my front and rear axles.

I am sure that if you emailed Winnebago Customer Service you would get all of this information quickly.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

You can also get this info by calling Freightliner 1-800-FTL-HELP. Give them the last 6 digits of your VIN and they should be able to provide you this information.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

You all have been great! Thanks for the help. I called Freightliner but they referred me to Caterpillar. They were quite helpful. As it turns out, I have the shallow sump with a capacity reduced from 22 quarts to 19 quarts. I will need to recalibrate the dipstick. They gave me the part numbers for all filters so now I have a basis for cross matching if Caterpillar brands are not readily available. I learned there are 2 types of oil filters for this engine: The standard duty (35 to 40 micron) is part number 1R0739 but there is an "advanced filter" (15 micron) with part number 1R1807. Maybe that information will be useful to you all.

I learned my drain plug is 3/4 inch - 16 so I ordered one of those fumotovalve drain plugs. When I have the coach serviced, I will have the OEM plug replaced with the fumotovalve and from then on, I can do my own oil changes. I got the one with a nipple so with a piece of tubing, I can drain the crankcase one gallon at a time. Like many of you, I have no way to handle 22 to 19 quarts of oil gushing out all at once.

Thanks again,
Larry