Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We rent a covered storage space about 10 minutes away for $90/month. Better than outside in the winter!
Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

We too are fortunate as we've 85 acres so the Suncruiser complete with tow vehicle goes inside our 40x60-foot steel "barn" wired up with 50 amp service when not in use.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
We park our rig behind our stick house on the north side. The house does block some of the sun from shining on the rig but the western sun still heats it up in the late afternoon. I would love to have it covered, but $$$$$$. On our acre+ lot we have a septic system, so I have had installed an underground feeder line that runs from the back area of the rig into the main septic line. I have also installed water faucet and a 20 amp outdoor outlet on the wall of the house near the respective utility outlets of the rig. A 20 amp connection is sufficient for every need I have for electricity in the rig, including running electric heaters during the winter time. I just don't run multiple electrical items at the same time.

As expressed by others, it is great to have 24/7 access to the coach and it is a conveniently-located "dog house" also. It's presence has caused some consternation with our next door neighbor. He says it blocks his view of the mountains to the East. We are gone maybe 5-6 months a year, but our return home serves only to re-kindle his hostility. His complaints to the code enforcement officers have gained no sympathy from the city since the rig is not visible from the street.

Suncircles
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G with a 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I'm lucky enough to have a good sized lot (2 acres) in Western NY. I built a barn in 1997 before becoming a motorhome owner. Built the ceiling to 12' height. I ended up putting an addition on the barn to 42' total length (outside). I had to install a roll-up door which fit between the roof rafters to accomodate the height clearance of maintaining 12' clearance.

One of the reasons I own a Journey is it has a lower profile, and it 'just fits' height wise into the barn. Most of the newer motorhomes are over 12'. I'd have to raise the barn to get a new one in. Talk about $$$'s.

As many have already said, it's really nice having the coach near by and under cover. 30A electric and water. No sewer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Nice posts!

We have 1/3 of an acre, with a enough of a side yard next to the house to park our rig. I put in crush gravel, it is shaded by Live Oak trees, and when I need too I run a 20 amp extension line out to the RV for shore power. I have look at putting in a 30 amp service to the rig, I have it in my garage, but I have so far opted not to as the extension cord servers us just fine. We are also lucky as it does not really get cold enough here for us to winterize when we park for long times during the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV in our side yard, Pine Valley CA [640x480].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1709  
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
While our yard is small, it's big enough to have a 12 foot gate next the garage. After I put in the gate, we poured a pad and keep it there. I am looking to get a hard cover for it soon.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

We live on a corner lot and when I had the house built, I put in a drive on the side of the house going to my workshop so I could "deliver" wood to the garage door that was built in the basement. It is 60 foot long so the MH fits very nicely there. I have run 30 amp power service to it with phone line and cable TV. Wish it was covered but, guess can't have everything.