Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I was at the Pomonal RV show recently and it is bugging me more and more.
All the Winnebago gas coaches that I looked at continue to have flat screen CRT monitors up front. Even the printed literature shows CRTs only with no options for LCDs. Even the Fleetwood Pace Arrow has them and the front cabinet looks SO much cleaner without the drop down for the TV.
Does anyone have any lead as to when the switch to wide screen LCDs will happen? This is a pet peeve of mine.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I was at the Pomonal RV show recently and it is bugging me more and more.
All the Winnebago gas coaches that I looked at continue to have flat screen CRT monitors up front. Even the printed literature shows CRTs only with no options for LCDs. Even the Fleetwood Pace Arrow has them and the front cabinet looks SO much cleaner without the drop down for the TV.
Does anyone have any lead as to when the switch to wide screen LCDs will happen? This is a pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I feel the same way. Thought about what it would take to modify mine to fit a HD LCD, but after looking at all the steel and aluminum I would have to cut and fabricate, I decided against it. I would also have to mess with the compartments on either side too, to get a wide screen to "fit" also.
For the amount of $$$ they are asking for MH's now-a-days, you would think that they would at least update the TV's to be HD flat panel LCD's or Plasma's.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I totally agree. Especially for the Adventurer since it is their high end gas coach. and like you siad, if someone is paying that much for a coach a couple dollars more is a drop in the bucket.
And as far as modifying the supporting structure, I really do not want to tackle that one. Especially if it is designed to provide protection in the case of a accident. The wood cabintry would be easier but probably difficult to match the woods.
I am HOPING (hint hint Winnebago) that they decide to do it for the 07-08 models.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree. It's time to upgrade the TV's.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A recent MH review by Motorhome magazine tested a Alegro Bus. One of the options installed was a 32" LCD TV. The option price for the TV alone was $4600. That is crazy when you can buy the same 32" LCD TV for $900. where did the other $3700 go? We have a 2003 Journey 39W . I recently installed a 26" Sharp HDTV LCD TV where the old 26" CRT TV was. Cost of the whole project was under $1000. I did the work myself and have to say you can't tell it was not factory installed. Pictures are in the Photo album under Florida Guy. Yes, someday Winnebago will offer the LCD TV as an option, but at what price? $4600 for a $900 TV.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Count me in. Every unit should have an LCD TV. If the country really goes to all digital TV's within the next few years you will need some sort of stand alone box just to run our analog TV's.

And while we are at it, why can't every unit come equiped with a built in GPS that runs off the back up camera.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

They'll do it when they finally realize how many sales they are losing to more feature rich fifth wheels from more competitive companies.

Winnebago has sort of become the ford/chevy of the RV world. No King beds, no LCD TV's, in a MSRP $180k gas coach? To many senior execs at winnebago are too comfortable in their jobs and need to go.

Joe
jflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jflanagan:
They'll do it when they finally realize how many sales they are losing to more feature rich fifth wheels from more competitive companies.

Winnebago has sort of become the ford/chevy of the RV world. No King beds, no LCD TV's, in a MSRP $180k gas coach? To many senior execs at winnebago are too comfortable in their jobs and need to go.

Joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Just FYI...Winnebago Adventurer is the #1 selling motorhome in the World....seems like the senior execs at Winnebago are doing just fine.....

Also FYI...the Winnebago 35J floorplan offers a king sized bed
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Frontrangerver is 100 percent correct....The execs at Winnebago certainly must be doing something RIGHT, with the continued success the Adventurer has in the marketplace.

The Adventurer has cemented it's place in the market and is nicely appointed with a good range of options for a coach in it's class...

One has to remember that options cost money and if they continue to add options found on higher line coaches, the coach cost would surely rise as well.

The Adventurer is a great buy, evidenced by the number of them you see on the road!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

BUT, the industry trend is to go with LCD TV's (along with home electonics) and many of the other makers have already made the switch.
Yes, they do cost a little more but are extremely affordable nowadays. LCDs have a great advantage in weight and space savings. This is especially true in the bedroom. Granted, the manufacturer marks them up way beyond what should be legal but since the Adventurer is the top gas coach from Winnebago, I would think it would also be leading the technology for their gas line. I also think that for the main TV, it would be a little cheaper in the respect of supporting structure and woodwork in that you can design a bottom surface that is flat across the coach.
I also like the Idea from PeteB on the GPS. BUT, I would be happy with an external GPS like Gulfstream offers.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

This reminds me of when we ordered our Itasca. The rear bedroom tv option cost around $650.00 if I remember correctly, we asked if the bedroom came wired for a tv even if we didn't order the tv option and were told yes. We didn't order the option and instead found the exact same model of tv at K-Mart for about $120.00. I put it in myself and was glad I didn't order it from the factory!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Easyrider has the right idea....order a rig without the TV (if you can) and put your own LCD or plasma flat screen in.

Or, you could inadvertently drop the crummy 19" cheapo CRT TV on the floor (like I did in my Journey), then tell the DW that you may as well replace it with a new Panasonic 20" LCD .

Not that I would bend the truth, mind you, it was an accident .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Not that I would bend the truth, mind you, it was an accident . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

STILL stickin' to that story,eh Gary??
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I recently bought a 2002 Ultimate Advantage with the 25" CRT up front. This past weekend I took the CRT out and cut a template made of 1/2 inch plywood to fit the bottom of the CRT "cage". Drilled two holes in each side to fit the crt hold in metal (I did take out the metal hold in -- only 4 screws holding it in. Mounted a 27 inch LCD to the plywood template, put it in where the CRT was located and put the original cabinet face back on. Fit like a charm. As additional bracing behind the LCD, I used lightweight U-channel steel and used it as bracing behind the LCD. Unit is very stable and looks good. Extra space above the LCT allows for circulation of air as the LCD does generate heat.