Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2023, 05:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wheel bearing repacking 2019 Minnie 26RBSS

I’m use our Minnie plus to go from Michigan to Florida each winter. I have always had the wheel bearings repacked each December before I leave. This year I got halfway to Florida and had a omg moment that I forgot to have it done. Being overly worrisome it was on my mind the rest of the way. Telling myself I’m being silly since it was 12 months and two weeks since I had it done. In Florida now and planning my trip back in march and wonder how crucial it is to do it before I go home. It would be about 4500 miles total but 14 months in time. I found a local mobile repair to do it, but he wants double the cost of the dealer. I’d rather pay the piper than have trouble on the road. Going to a local dealer to do it would be a major headache. Am I being too anal on the time frame?
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would just take a quick peek, I know you can’t see everything unless you pull it all, but maybe just pull one wheel and look under tha cap. If there aren’t signs of lots of grease loss, you should be ok until you get home. Of course, if you can’t sleep, just pay the mobile tech and rest easy.
CliffordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I'm new to the group but packing the wheel bearings every 12,000 miles or so is good. Unless you get into alot of high water. 25 years of automotive exper.
Rkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkass View Post
I'm new to the group but packing the wheel bearings every 12,000 miles or so is good. Unless you get into alot of high water. 25 years of automotive exper.

Concur. You will be fine.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel listening for noises and feeling for any play in the bearings or roughness. Yes, the Dexter recommendation is 12 months or 12,000 miles, that is their recommendation for insuring their axles will outlast the warranty.

BTW, the hardest thing on wheel bearings is making very tight turns, it places a tremendous side-stress on the entire wheel. You are aware that most ST tires have a 65MPH speed rating, right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote