Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What type of crimp is this? How to remove?

This flat ring type crimp I can't figure out the name for it? I need to remove it so I can remove this plastic "finger" that is on the end of a propane line that came with a generator.

It's the flat ring wrapped around the brass nozzle. It's flat in the shape of a C.

Any ideas how to remove it or what type of secure ring this is? I guess I can get a flat-head and start prying it but just was curious if there is a more obvious answer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	174953  
Old 09-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Called a "snap ring and much easier to remove with snap ring pliers. They come in different sorts but one is like a pair of long nose pliers but instead of closing as we press the handles together, the jaws which fit into those small holes open. As they open, they pull the points of the "c" apart and the ring comes out of the grooves it is snapped into.
Several alternates but often hard to do on small ones. When desperate I have drilled or ground the back side of the ring to the point I could break it, but risk of damage to the fitting. Sometimes they are weak enough to put two flat blade screwdrivers, back to back between the snap ring points and twist the screwdrivers enough to get it started out of the groove.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-...RPS8/204761089
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

That finger may serve a purpose on your generator. On some Firman generators they have an electrical connection to the propane regulator. I'm not sure what that one might do, but it's probably there for a reason.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ok, good info thanks Morich.

Goodspike, it does server a purpose for sure, whether it's really needed is up for debate. It's on the end of the supplied propane regulator from a Champion dual fuel generator. From what I can tell, when it's plugged in it seems to just tell the circuit board to display the letters "LPG" on it's main display. The generator seems to function when not plugged in with the plastic "finger" , but does show random numbers on the display. I contacted Champion to try and get clarification but their support is pretty much useless if you can get them to even answer.

Only reason I care about this is that I already have a modified regulator set up with extended hose to connect to the campers propane line from another larger Champion dual fuel that didn't have his finger of plastic. I can connect and get the new generator to run as I said, but the display is funky. I want to remove this plastic finger and will just plug in it in non-crimped on the extended hose. Should work I think.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Let me know what happens. I was considering buying a Champion dual fuel. I'm not sure I'll care in that I'll probably just carry a separate bottle of propane, but I may want to hook into my grill outlet.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Another thought on a small one like that is that one "might" get it off without the pliers. IF you can set up to hold it, one might get the points of longnose to grip enough to force it open by pulling the pliers handles apart rather than squeezing.
One of those thing where we have to decide which fits the case. Do we want to stop and go get new pliers we may never need again or do we work a half hour to do a two minute job!!!! I STILL do not own the pliers!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Will do. I've been very happy with their products so far. My trying to get a hold of them and having issues was right after the hurricane hit Louisiana so I know they were swamped with calls with new generator purchases so I'll give them a pass.

I already have a 3400 Dual Fuel that I've been very happy with. I never run on gas so I don't have to deal with old gas or gummed up carbs. It has electric start and works great when wanting to run my RV ac. But it's just heavy, close to 100lbs and I've been on a kick lately with putting my trailer load on a diet. I rarely dry camp or need a generator anyways. It's rare occasion we head to the Smokies in the NP and that has no connections and need a small generator to top off batteris and run the microwave. Went this summer and borrowed a friend's 2000 gas Yamaha for that trip. Worked out great and looks like were heading back that way this fall so I went ahead and got the 2000 Dual Fuel from Champion to take on that trip.

So far I'm finding I really like the ease of moving around these suitcase-style generators and having it on propane is a big plus for me. It doesn't have the electric start and there is a "trick" that was needed to get the generator to start on propane, but now it starts up right away.

Right now the surge prices on that 2000 dual fuel have gone up $200 since the hurricane hit in LA. I'm leaning towards waiting for it's price to come down and getting another one, buying the coupler set up and selling the 3400 Dual Fuel.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Will do. I've been very happy with their products so far. My trying to get a hold of them and having issues was right after the hurricane hit Louisiana so I know they were swamped with calls with new generator purchases so I'll give them a pass.

I already have a 3400 Dual Fuel that I've been very happy with. I never run on gas so I don't have to deal with old gas or gummed up carbs. It has electric start and works great when wanting to run my RV ac. But it's just heavy, close to 100lbs.
I hadn't thought about that event affecting response times. I'd contacted them about pairing a dual fuel with a gasser. Wasn't sure how that would work. Does it give you just 2x the lower power of the dual fuel, or is it the dual fuel plus the gasser, or is it something you shouldn't do.

As to weight, it's better than my 3,000 watt Yamaha--it's over 130 and that makes it practically impossible for RV use. I can't lift that by myself given it's size, and my wife cannot lift half of that.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I hadn't thought about that event affecting response times. I'd contacted them about pairing a dual fuel with a gasser. Wasn't sure how that would work. Does it give you just 2x the lower power of the dual fuel, or is it the dual fuel plus the gasser, or is it something you shouldn't do.

As to weight, it's better than my 3,000 watt Yamaha--it's over 130 and that makes it practically impossible for RV use. I can't lift that by myself given it's size, and my wife cannot lift half of that.

I don't think it matters if it's a gas + propane coupling, it's just the addition of the watts and as long as the coupler kit can handle the range. There is a slight hit in output between gas and propane, like 200 watts. The kit for the 2000 Dual Fuels I got that couples them together is pretty cool, the generators stack on top of each other like Legos.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-parallel-kit/
Old 09-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't think it matters if it's a gas + propane coupling, it's just the addition of the watts and as long as the coupler kit can handle the range. There is a slight hit in output between gas and propane, like 200 watts. The kit for the 2000 Dual Fuels I got that couples them together is pretty cool, the generators stack on top of each other like Legos.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-parallel-kit/
That's the one I bought anticipating my purchase of a second generator.

What I'm getting at though is let's say a generator puts out 1,800 on gas and 1,600 on propane. If you connect two of those together with one running on propane for some reason, do you get 3,600 watts or 3,400 watts. It's not a huge difference, but I also want to make sure it won't mess something up.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You'll get 3400 watts. That 30amp RV outlet on the coupler kit will just add output the combination of what it's receiving. Now you have to make sure that the coupler wires from the kit will connect to the wiring ports of the other brand generator. Seems to me in the pictures of the Champion kits the sheathing around the plugs might be brand dependent, but that may not be the case.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You'll get 3400 watts. That 30amp RV outlet on the coupler kit will just add output the combination of what it's receiving. Now you have to make sure that the coupler wires from the kit will connect to the wiring ports of the other brand generator. Seems to me in the pictures of the Champion kits the sheathing around the plugs might be brand dependent, but that may not be the case.
They will both be Champion, but the nice thing is the Champion site does let you know whether they'll pair and what pairing device works.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-kit-selector/

I made the mistake of buying a different brand that wasn't so flexible, but I returned it. for that and other reasons.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Goodspike, it does server a purpose for sure, whether it's really needed is up for debate. It's on the end of the supplied propane regulator from a Champion dual fuel generator. From what I can tell, when it's plugged in it seems to just tell the circuit board to display the letters "LPG" on it's main display. The generator seems to function when not plugged in with the plastic "finger" , but does show random numbers on the display. I contacted Champion to try and get clarification but their support is pretty much useless if you can get them to even answer.
I was just reading their manual, and it isn't clear. The clip might also stop the flow of gasoline, so you might need it. There is a fuel solenoid shown in the electrical schematic, but I think that's connected to the front panel dial. My gas only unit doesn't have that.

One thing I like about Champion is they do give you full expanded parts views and electrical schematics.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I was going about it wrong removing the finger to move to my existing modified regulator. Instead the easy route was to just modify this regulator same as I did the other one. $8 quick gas connect nozzle and good to go.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

How do you modify the regulator?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Since the camper already has a regulator installed you need to remove the small high pressure regulator from the hose/regular set up. Actually this new regulator set up that came with this 2000 W generator was easier to modify than the 3400 dual fuel. I just had to unscrew the small regulator off the set up. Then attach a 1/4 male propane quick connect in its place. Now I just attach my 12’ extension gas line to this and to the camper gas-grill outlet.

DOZYANT Propane Quick Connect... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WDPVPR...p_mob_ap_share
Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

So you're removing the regulator, not modifying it?

The reason I ask is I thought I remember a thread where someone modified a regulator, but removing it would be much easier. I fabricated my own hoses and connectors for my home NG generator setup.

I just ran my 2500 Champion for the first time. It works pretty nicely, but I'm pretty sure my 3000 watt Yamaha generator for home use is quieter. I was hoping it might be something I could run at night just to keep the refrigerator running, but no.

The Yamaha is also almost 100 pounds heavier though. I may get one of the 2000 dual fuels to pair with the 2500 for RV use, which is why I'm asking.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I guess I should be clear I’m referring to the whole hose/regulator set up as the “regulator”. I’m removing the small high pressure regulator and making it so I can attach the set up to my campers LPG quick connect.

The 3400 regulator set up requires more gas fittings to achieve this. The new set up was simply to unscrew the regulator from the setup, apply gas gasket tape of choice and thread on quick connect.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

You can pry up one of the wings with a screw driver, just get it over the lip and it will spring off. The wings have a little hole in them.

Mechanics will howl, but it works okay. Just do it under a towel or it will shoot across the garage, to be lost forever.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:44 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
the nice thing is the Champion site does let you know whether they'll pair and what pairing device works.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-kit-selector/
The Champion 2000w gens I bought don't stack, and the other options were out of stock everywhere. In general, most seemed overkill and many didn't have a TT-30 outlet. Instead, I bought a TT-30R plug and cannibalized 2 spare 12/3 power cords I had laying around. Much cheaper and easier to store, but if I had the gens that stacked I would pony up for the stacking parallel kit. Champion's selector says the stacking kit will work with my gens and it will, but they won't stack, making it kinda clunky.