Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
The Champion 2000w gens I bought don't stack, and the other options were out of stock everywhere. In general, most seemed overkill and many didn't have a TT-30 outlet. Instead, I bought a TT-30R plug and cannibalized 2 spare 12/3 power cords I had laying around. Much cheaper and easier to store, but if I had the gens that stacked I would pony up for the stacking parallel kit.
I suspect that will work fine. Looking at the schematic for the Champion parallel device I own it appears the only thing it adds is an overcurrent circuit breaker since two generators could collectively put out over 30 amps. With two generators that have a full time limit of only 1,800 watts there would be little concern of that--larger generators more of a concern. Run one or both on propane and the concern is even lower.

The other brand of cheap small generator I started with (Westinghouse) had a system more like that, where the inlet side had normal 15 amp plugs, but for some reason it specified which of the two outlets in the normal looking 120 volt outlet would be the parallel connection. No idea why those two outlets wouldn't be electrically identical. Unfortunately that company also didn't have a schematic of the device.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like we were looking at all the same generators. I grabbed the Champions over the Westinghouse because they went down to $429 each. I would have bought the Westinghouse parallel kit rather than DIY but it wasn't in stock.

Another advantage of the DIY parallel cord I made is that I can use it to plug my trailer into spare outlets in the garage until I get around to installing a TT-30 outlet at home. Everything seems to run fine on 20A, including the AC, fridge and battery charger. A 15A adapter is pushing it a bit. Nice to be plugged in when it's 100+ degrees out and you are packing for a trip...
Old 09-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Sounds like we were looking at all the same generators. I grabbed the Champions over the Westinghouse because they went down to $429 each. I would have bought the Westinghouse parallel kit rather than DIY but it wasn't in stock.
That's one of the reasons I returned the Westinghouse, but it also ran with a miss, was hard to start and had some other issues. It may have been slightly quieter than my Champion, but my Champion is also slightly more powerful.