Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

It's official, I have secured 4 weeks time off in September/Oct. for our first long trip out West. Since the time off is so valuable, we seek to minimize any coach downtime. To that end, I'm planning to take a spare fuel filter, a new engine belt, and I have an unmounted spare tire. These are the simple things I can think of that, if they fail, I could be back in service quickly.

All my maintenace items are up to date but I plan to have my RV mechanic check things over before we leave.

Other suggestions from more experienced travelers are appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's official, I have secured 4 weeks time off in September/Oct. for our first long trip out West. Since the time off is so valuable, we seek to minimize any coach downtime. To that end, I'm planning to take a spare fuel filter, a new engine belt, and I have an unmounted spare tire. These are the simple things I can think of that, if they fail, I could be back in service quickly.

All my maintenace items are up to date but I plan to have my RV mechanic check things over before we leave.

Other suggestions from more experienced travelers are appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey - good for you Gary We just had our first oil change on the Cummins yesterday and I asked the mechanic that very question. I had thought about carrying a spare belt for the engine but never followed through with the thought.

He recommended a spare belt, primary and secondary fuel filters and an oil filter. And of course we carry the very popular tourist attraction around on the top of our Jeep, the spare tire for the coach.

So we now have spare fuel filters and the belt is on order.

I think the big show-stoppers would be an engine problem or tire trouble. If you are current on all of the other maintenance I think you can get most other things fixed on the road or just work around it until you get back home. You can't carry a spare for everything.

Even in Alaska I have noticed many ads and cards for RV service at practically every park we have stayed in.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #4

Apparently U-joints....we are in California for a couple of weeks..we have a horrible popping noise under our couch when underway....random...might be U-joints...who knows....back to the shop again (its favorite place) when we get back to Colorado....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

-Possibly the side-thruster jet sucked up some seaweed?

Tom
Old 06-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

What parts to take?

Mastercard or Visa.

Done.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
-Possibly the side-thruster jet sucked up some seaweed?

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking a loose anchor....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

smlranger....Also takinga long trip out west in a month..I suggest also taking a heater hose plastic splice joinerin case your heater core starts leaking like mine did. Simply disconnect the two hoses and splice together to complete the loop back to the engine or shut off both valves underneath but you will loose the water heater coolant benefit...
Also do you have the serp belt part # for your 330 cat? and the other belt for the power steering and ac? I haven't been able to find the numbers...
I just bought an unmounted spare for my Journey, (275/70/22.5.) I plan to mount mine underneath between the frame rails with nylon ratchet straps....How did you mount yours? straps thru the tire or underneath the tire? How many spraps and is the tire tight to the bottom of the coach so it won't move.....Thanks for any input.....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I thought the Master Card or Visa was a great answer.

W22 Chassis and 8.1 Vortec
RVAITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Gary, Congratulation on getting the time off. I wanna go too! Not a part but include a drill motor, bits and an assortment of screws..I wish I had mine with me this weekend...Think you have the parts covered unless you want to include a extra, motor, tranny and Genny...Darn you will have a great time..I know Julie and Bear are excited. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Several yrs. ago we took the love boat to Alaska, and it was recommended to take 2 creditcards. We took Discover and Visa, and sure enough one got comperised... Took a couple of days to get
it ironed out. But do take two!!!!TENN.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #12

Don't forget the turkey ties. Both long and short. A good assortment package would be helpful.
Good luck on your trip..
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

RKL: I ordered the belt for the CAT 3126 from RVChassisparts.com. They listed only one belt. However, my mechanic told me today I will need a second belt for the AC compressor. He is going to check my belt/s and hoses before I leave. Regarding the unmounted spare, I have mine stored in the upper section of the compartment just in front of the LP tank. It fits there perfectly (if you don't need that space for other things). Regarding the heater core, I have those new fittings and will be changing those out soon. I will take along a plastic fitting in case I need to bypass the core.....thanks for the reminder.
Jim: good suggestion on the drill. I have some bits and one of those hand-crank tool box drills but I will take my Bosch. Hey, fill your tank and come along with us.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Add a roll of Eterna Bond tape for sealing just about anything from roofs, holding tanks to radiator hoses along with a few extra fire extinguishers wet and dry stored at different locations in and under the coach.

Our last trip ended on the highway with a total loss due to not having enough fire extinguishers to keep a wheel well fire at bay while waiting for the fire dept to arrive. Having just one extra fire extinguisher could have bought us enough time for the fire crew to get back on track after they got misdirected within sight of us and turned off in the wrong direction.

Regards,
Old 06-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Neil:

I do have some EB tape in my rig...4" and 2." It is good stuff, for sure.

I remember reading about your fire and I did purchase 3 additional FE's...one is in the bedroom, one is in an outside compartment, and the 3rd is in the TOAD. The Winne-provided FE is in the living area. I was a firefighter years ago and these FE's aren't going to be much help with a serious fire, but they might give us more 'escape' time and/or buy me enough time to un-hook and save the TOAD.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
These FE's aren't going to be much help with a serious fire, but they might give us more 'escape' time and/or buy me enough time to un-hook and save the TOAD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT points Gary...you and I have had this discussion, but for those of you buying extinquishers, ALWAYS make sure you keep an escape route within reach and NOT one you have to go through the fire to use....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote