Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

In the photo below, what is the black cap on the left of the coolant expansion tank? During my previous Freightliner maintenance this cap was replaced. I found it is very expensive to screw on a cap.

What is it's purpose? Pressure relief? Frankly, the new cap doesn't look any better than the old cap. Since Freightliner replaced the cap I assume it is something that needs checked periodically.

2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In the photo below, what is the black cap on the left of the coolant expansion tank? During my previous Freightliner maintenance this cap was replaced. I found it is very expensive to screw on a cap.

What is it's purpose? Pressure relief? Frankly, the new cap doesn't look any better than the old cap. Since Freightliner replaced the cap I assume it is something that needs checked periodically.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Rex,

It has a deflector mounted under the cap which deflects the coolant coming out of the two lines to the left of it.

If your tank does not pressurize this is usually the cause due to rusting. Another great design of this tank. I have cleaned mine up several times but looks much the same after a couple of weeks of use.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is this cap directional? I turned it when I attempted to unscrew the cap. It did not turn easily so I tightened it back up.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The plastic cap is hollow, with the metal deflector positioned in the center of the cap. Counter clockwise will loosen it. I marked the form of the deflector on top of the metal center, so that I can position it properly when I tighten it. The bowed out side of the deflector faces the two hoses when it is positioned properly.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks. I removed the cap and it came apart in two pieces. See the photo below. The inner section seemed frozen in place so I didn't attempt to remove it. I replaced the cap and it would not tighten securely. Evidently, the threads are stripped.

Question: What happens if the cap fails and I lose pressure?

Also, the cap has two split ring inserts. Does anyone else have this or is this something Freightliner installed because the cap would not tighten?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't have the split ring inserts. You can see by the picture you posted that the deflector being held in place by the cap is rusting. You might just want to pick up a new deflector and rubber seal, along with the retention cap .

If is is like mine, it was to badly rusted to seal off, evenafter I cleaned it up.

On the Yahoo Freightliner FCOC site was just a discussion about this deflector and the overall bad design of this coolant tank.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I leave on a trip tomorrow. If this cap starts leaking what should I look for? High engine temperature?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

It should not give you a problem. Someone mentioned in another post that Freightliner said that the Cummins will run fine without a pressurized system.

I ran a summer without having a pressurized tank and it only gave me problems when I climbed a 10% grade. Engine temps ran upto 224 degrees but did not quite overheat, which I understand is 235 degrees.

I would get the cap and deflector replaced as soon as you get a chance.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Harry B

Thanks, your input has been invaluable.

I took the cap off, removed the two split rings and replaced the cap. It tightened securely and I think it will be fine for this trip

Without the split rings the cap tightened securely. With the split rings, the threads slipped and it would not tighten. I can only assume that the Freightliner mechanic added to split rings because he didn't have a flat washer that would fit. I also assume he was trying to increase the pressure holding the deflector in place.

When I return from this trip I will order a new deflector and cap assembly.

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Rex - remember my new tank Freightliner in Tolleson installed last fall? I had the same problem with that cap falling apart - this is apparently a systemic problem with this tank.

Freightliner installed a Century Class tractor tank and so far, so good.

That overflow tank is not pressurized and the service manager at Tolleson (Kirk) says the system will run fine without pressure. Look for my thread on the new coolant tank.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

John,

I do recall you replaced your surge tank with a different model. I found your photo and it looks great. It appears to not have the deflector and cap. Am I correct? How much of a modification to get this one installed?

I searched the Freightliner forum and there are many posts about a new replacement for the surge tank, but it appears that Freightliner has not introduced a replacement as yet.

For others interested, here is the link to your photo:

John's Surge Tank
Old 05-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Rex - doesn't appear that I have the deflector cap. Not sure how difficult it was to adapt the new tank to our engine, but I suspect it wasn't that involved.

I think I would go for a new cap and not worry about replacing the entire tank.

Did you get the Cummins ISL fuel line modification letter?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

No, John, I didn't get the Cummins ISL fuel line modification. Did it come from Cummins or Freightliner? Is it a recall?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,

How is the new shop doing. I am envious.

Is it my imagination or does your new coolant tank have less clearance on top by the filler opening. It is nice though that you can see the coolant level.

I had my fuel line modifcation taken care of last week. It took about 2 hours to complete and they needed access to the engine from the inside of the coach. I wanted to get this done prior to heading out west again. I had not received the recall notice yet but I was aware it was coming.

I still have to get the steering gear box relaced. Freightliner finally confirmed that my coach is on the list, but could not tell me when I will be receiving the recall letter. I am due for a visit to Gaffney next month, at which point I am going to see if FCCC will replace it at that time.

They are scheduling the steering gear box recall/replacement in batches, as almost all IFS equiped coaches need to have them replaced. I suspect there is a shortage of replacement gear boxes and that they are refurbing them and then scheduling the next batch of recalls using the refurbed gearboxes.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Rex,

It is from Cummins but I don't have the letter in front of me. When I called Cummins, they said they have to order the part(or parts) - hopefully Cummins in Phoenix will follow through with everything we setup over the phone and they will be ready to work when we arrive.

Harry,

Gosh - I forgot about that steering box recall it has been so long. Sounds like yet another trip to Freightliner in the future

You are correct about the coolant tank clearance - there is no room above the cap so fluid would have to be pumped into the tank or a use funnel with a flexible hose. It is a price of inconvenience I will gladly pay to have a tank that will last for years (hopefully!)