Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I need to replace my everpure filter. this is the standard filter that came with my Journey.
It still has good flow, but its been a year now.
Do you go with those smaller two pack replacements or just go for the single larger replacement.
Where is the best price?
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I need to replace my everpure filter. this is the standard filter that came with my Journey.
It still has good flow, but its been a year now.
Do you go with those smaller two pack replacements or just go for the single larger replacement.
Where is the best price?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have been pondering the same question for next season. We have been using the larger filter but I suspect it is far from 'spent' when we discard it at the end of the season. If I remember correctly, pricing of the two smaller filters did not encouraged me to go that route.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am a fulltimer. I replace the Everpure filter once a year. I have paid anywhere from $39.95 at Camping World to #$34.95 (including shipping) from www.RVWaterFilterStore.com.

Before fulltiming, I would remove the filter during longer storage periods, seal it in a ziplock bag, and keep it in the refrigerator at home ...and replaced it once a year. I haven't priced the half-sized filters, but if I was still part-timing I might be tempted to use them depending on price.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We use the smaller sizes ...

The co-pilot decides when it is that we should change the filters ... I can't give you clue about her algorithm ... but I have been married for 50 years ... I intend to make it to 51 so I change whenever ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

While at a RV rally I asked the Everpure tech what the difference was, he said the large one filters out more bad stuff the little one doesn't. I don't remember what is was exactly but it was something like mercury or something like that. Maybe the Everpure site has that info.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I thought it had to be replaced only when the water flow slowed down
Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hi Ron,

If it will fit, you could try these:

Everpure OW4 Cartridge Unit Price $76.97 as of 8-29-05
From Superior Water Systems Co Inc.
superwater.com everpurefilters4less.com PO Box 81-1837 Boca Raton, FL 33481
1-866-WATER2U DIRECT LINE: 561-241-0260 CELL: 561-703-4544

Search for EV9635-01 current price $79.95

Much larger but also much better and last longer. I’ve been using them since 2005 and change the filter about every 2 years. They fit the same adapter as the short RV filters. Check the specs. on what they filter out as compared to the RV filters.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey Guys,

Haven't had much of chance to hang out on the site lately, but saw this discussion on water filters and had recently asked this question to a few of the filter manufacturers.

The difficulty with answering the question is the fact that RV's can move to different water sources. So if you stayed in one location and had a supply of city water which was chlorinated than you probably could run the filter until the flow decreased. Or if you super chlorinated your own water by running water into your RV's fresh tank and adding chlorine and using that exclusively.

The great thing about a activated carbon filter is that they are relatively inexpensive and are good at removing the bad taste, oder and some contaminates from the water. The bad side is that the carbon is also organic and bacteria feed off this media and can quickly grow inside of the filter if not chlorinated.

I also have the Everpure setup in my Vectra and had been super chlorinating the water I put in my fresh tank to keep the tank clean, but now realize I also need to be more diligent and keeping the filter sanitized throughout the season as well.

Everpure discusses the procedure to use when ever hooking up to any water source --> http://residential.everpure.co...QL1-2-3-WPS%20IO.PDF

If your not tied into using the Everpure system you should look at Hydrolife which utilizes a technology to eliminate the growth of bacteria in their filters.

Here is a list of water filters at RVupgrades.com--> Water Filters
Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Looks like I'll stay with the larger filter as the 2 pack price per unit is very little savings.
The RVwaterfilter store posted above is a good price at $29.95.
They also list an Omnipure filter that will fit and offers longer gallonage life. So that is my final decision.
Thanks all Ron
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I took our filter out and put in the by-pass plug that came with it. Just use the filter I made up myself at city water connection.

We use bottled water for cooking and drinking. (coffee & tea)
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I always filter every drop of water that enters the motorhome with two filters, a sediment filter ($2) and a charcoal taste and odor filter ($4). Thus, I only replace my under sink Everpure filter every 24 months. Works for us.

-Tom

BTW, I bought the Sears filter housings in 1974.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">thought it had to be replaced only when the water flow slowed down </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am not where I can look at mine, but I am pretty sure it says right on the Everpure filter "replace after 12 months" or something along that line.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We use our MH Dec to April and Sept to Nov so I winterize twice. I drain the everpure for a day then cover the intake with plastic wrap & a rubberband and put it in the freezer.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The Everpure site mentioned test strips to tell if your water was safe. Does anyone know where to get these test strips? Didn't see any listing for them on the Everpure site.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
The Everpure site mentioned test strips to tell if your water was safe. Does anyone know where to get these test strips? Didn't see any listing for them on the Everpure site.

Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to install the filter in our new motorhome. In the box with the filter were the test strips, bypass plug and instructions. I haven't used the test strips but I think they check for chlorine. When the filter passes chlorine it's time for a new filter. I'll dig out the box and check.

Also, Paul is correct. In my Everpure documentation it states to change the filter after 12 months. Probably because of bacteria build up.

-Tom
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have my filters mounted inside the water compartment.Capturing all that bacteria and incubating it in the sun doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bldrbob:
I have my filters mounted inside the water compartment.Capturing all that bacteria and incubating it in the sun doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
BOB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've thought about that and I usually place the filters under the coach or in the shade. I do not have enough room in the utility compartment for the filters. I would like to make a hanger and hang them under the motorhome. My old Sears filter housings are about 1/2 inch thick which may create some insulating value.

There is also organisms that thrives where it is cool and dark.

-Tom
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Capturing all that bacteria and incubating it in the sun doesn't seem like a good idea </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah c'mon ...since you have the bacteria all captured, boiling it seems like a great idea!!

I use only a sediment filter outside, and put it under the coach if at all possible, and I don't keep any more white water hose exposed to the sun than is necessary.