Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

So I'm sitting here on this snowy night in Saint Louis, and I have my thermostat set for gas only since it is only about 20 degree's out. The fan on the A/C is set for Auto.

The Indoor fan starts running. Furnace is off, stat set for 70, it is 74 in here.

This is the second time I have seen this happen, and the first time I thought I was just loosing my mind as it went off about the time I noticed it and got up to go look at things. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, but also couldn't get it to shut off. I finally flipped both A/C breakers, and it did shut down, but then started right back up after I turned the power back on. Nothing I did to the stat had any effect.

So I gave up, and figured I would pull the cover off the electronics in the AM and see if something is wet or shorting or something...

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Then I am thinking maybe it isn't even a problem, but something it is programed to so when not run for a while? I hate intermittent things, it always takes forever to figure them out!

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So I'm sitting here on this snowy night in Saint Louis, and I have my thermostat set for gas only since it is only about 20 degree's out. The fan on the A/C is set for Auto.

The Indoor fan starts running. Furnace is off, stat set for 70, it is 74 in here.

This is the second time I have seen this happen, and the first time I thought I was just loosing my mind as it went off about the time I noticed it and got up to go look at things. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, but also couldn't get it to shut off. I finally flipped both A/C breakers, and it did shut down, but then started right back up after I turned the power back on. Nothing I did to the stat had any effect.

So I gave up, and figured I would pull the cover off the electronics in the AM and see if something is wet or shorting or something...

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Then I am thinking maybe it isn't even a problem, but something it is programed to so when not run for a while? I hate intermittent things, it always takes forever to figure them out!

John

Old 02-02-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

20 degrees and snow? You guys are way too far north

John - is the propane furnace fan running all the time, or the AC/heat pump blower?

Suggest you download your AC manual if you don't already have it. I know there are some troubleshooting directions in it. Not sure how detailed it is though.

If your furnace fan is running all the time, maybe you have thermostat trouble. If it's the heat pump fan, then it could of course also be the control board.

Maybe you'll get some better advice from somebody else...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John, something, gas or elec. is producing alot of heat to have 74* inside temp. Can it be a forgotten space heater?.If gas (furnace) I would think your supply would be dropping fast.Im thinking that your outside temp is outside of the range where the Heat pump operates, tho I will admit, after 4 years of owning my 04 Bago, the entire heating system is still something of a mystery to me. So, what do we desert rats know about heaters anyway ..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Im sorry, I wasn't real clear.

It is the A/C and Heatpump indoor fan that is running (Cieling vents). It is NOT on.

Yes, we use space heaters, which is why the temp is normal in here.

Furnace is operating the way it should.

John, I looked at the guide, and it has nothing for a Fan constantly running. I did change the board last summer while in South Carolina, and I know the new board added some logic and such to the circuit, I just wonder if I have a bad connection or one that is getting wet? I'll have to open it up when the snow melts! Ugh.

I agree, we are too far north!

It is just a weird symptom that maybe I never noticed before since when in more moderate temps that fan would kick on anyhow for heat or cool...

John

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John, is it possible that you are getting Cold air from your ceiling vents, that due to your thermostat settings, your a/c/hp is trying to cool your coach so as to overcome your space heaters? Isn't that what happens when set on auto?.. As I said, "this aint really my bag", I'm "Nuts and Bolts, Not Amps and Volts", just stickin my nose in here anyway .......rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

John;

I had a similar problem with my system. It was the blower on the furnace that came on all be itself. It would do it even if the thermostat was in the off position. After a lot of frustration I came to the conclusion it was happening when the fluorescent light operated by the switch on the door panel near the thermostat was on. I was almost certain there had to be a bad wire in the post or something. I started disconnecting lights (there were 2) with the switch in the on position and low & behold it turned out to be a ballast that was transmitting a RF back down the switch wire and causing the thermostat to turn the fan on. I called Thin-Lite and was advised the ballast had to be replaced and they recommended a special RF protected ballast. Thy told me they had reports of TVs being turned on by bad ballasts as well.

I ended up switching that light with one toward the front and my problem ended.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Could the fan mode switch be in between auto and on?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our A/C /Heat pump fan stuck on once, only the circuit breakers would turn it off. Just before the thermostat went totally wacky. Replaced it, that fixed it.

On a similar note. With the new thermostat, when the auto/on switch set to on, the fan only comes on if the AC/elec heat/gas heat is set to AC. Is that normal? The owners manual wasn't clear.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tderonne:
--snip-- On a similar note. With the new thermostat, when the auto/on switch set to on, the fan only comes on if the AC/elec heat/gas heat is set to AC. Is that normal? The owners manual wasn't clear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tim - that's the way ours has always worked. You can't run the blower continuously in any mode besides cool.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The fan mode switch isn't stuck, I took the stat apart to be sure of that and checked with a multimeter. Good suggestion though!

My fan will come on in any mode if I turn it to on.

Interesting note on the ballast, especially since I have been having my share of problems with those also. I just replaced on light fixture due to a bad ballast, and am pretty sure the one next to it is going out. I will have to look into that.

Hasn't come on yet today, so more waiting. Thanks for the thoughts!

John

Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Just remembered something when Perto mentioned interference.

While we were in Wichita last summer trying to get our intermittent cooling problem repaired by the RVP factory service guy, he removed our thermostat and installed a little filter module. There is a plug/jack that the thermostat plugs into to connect to the control board. He unplugged the thermostat connection and inserted the filter in-line.

Apparently the filter is in response to interference issues.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. Thanks John.

Next time it occurs I am going to put a RF choke on the stat line and see if that works.

Funny how RF can do some really weird things...

John

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Our system has been flaky since day one. We replaced T-stat which only seemed to work at the time simply due to the irratic nature of the problem. In the A/C mode with temp setting met, the ac fan would "try
' to start. I would hear a "thumping" coming from that area like a drum beating in the basement (as fan sttempted to start). The fan then "might" come on or would cycle off and on without maintaining the run mode. I have also had the problem where the a/c fan would come on when not dictated by the t-stat or when the system was off. The only way to stop it was to kill it at the breaker.
gypsie adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Have problem with my thermostat. Will replace it when I get to GNR. During the summer while the coach was setting in the back yard it got pretty warm inside And messed the thermostat up. Heck you can rear the setting most of the time.I really like the basement Air. I fixed mine where you don't have know vibration. You don't even know it's on. Allso mine has a floor vent that blow right up to the thermostat. that gave it a false reading. Covered up vent with a rug and thing got back to normal till now.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:--snip--Allso mine has a floor vent that blow right up to the thermostat. that gave it a false reading. Covered up vent with a rug and thing got back to normal till now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We had the opposite problem - in the cooling cycle I would freeze my buns off, then get too warm. When I directed one of the ceiling vents towards the thermostat, that made a huge difference - now the AC doesn't run as long and cycles off and on more frequently (but not too frequently) and maintains a comfortable temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gypsie adventurer:
Our system has been flaky since day one. We replaced T-stat which only seemed to work at the time simply due to the irratic nature of the problem. In the A/C mode with temp setting met, the ac fan would "try
' to start. I would hear a "thumping" coming from that area like a drum beating in the basement (as fan sttempted to start). The fan then "might" come on or would cycle off and on without maintaining the run mode. I have also had the problem where the a/c fan would come on when not dictated by the t-stat or when the system was off. The only way to stop it was to kill it at the breaker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am surprised your coach is four years old according to your profile and you haven't resolved what sounds like to me a serious issue.

Chasing down intermittent problems is difficult and frustrating, but it takes perseverance and dedication to run them down. We had a very intermittent problem with the AC that we hope was finally fixed last summer when RVP and Winnebago agreed to replace the entire AC unit after literally trying for over a year (off and on) to get the problem resolved. Several parts were replaced to no avail, so we genuinely appreciate RVP and Winnebago making such a dramatic effort to fix the problem.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
KIX
Winnebago Master

John, We have the same model of UA. I had a problem identical to what you describe. It was intermittent. After the last time the indoor fan came on with the t-stat in the off position I replaced the 4' fluorescent bulbs. That was about a year ago and the fan has not come on with the t-stat off since. I hadn't thought there was any connection until I read Petro's post about RF. May not be any connection but since the bulb change ( 2 were burned out) it's ben operating as advertised.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I've had a similar problem, but with mine it's the outdoor fan motor AKA condensor fan motor. We had replaced the t-stat for a seperate issue (gas heat wouldn't come on). I took it to Hill's Winnebago in No. Conway NH, and of course it worked just fine. Great people, only charged me a small amount and spent an hour checking things out. It worked fine for about a day. When I got back to Phoenix I thought I would give it another try. This time it cost a lot more, they unplugged everything and checked it out, didn't replace anything and of course, it worked fine. So if it acts up this year, I'm going to do two things, sleep in MH repair facalities, and NOT cross Louisiana! This year we will be going through Kansas, and if it acts up we'll stop at the source, RVP and see what can be done.

1986 Gold Wing SE small i
teamfossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I found it!

Thanks you guys for the RF suggestion! It is one of the thin lites, just over the table. I'll replace the bulbs later, or swap the fixture, but I would have never found that without your suggestions!

I doubt I would have caught it if I wasn't paying attention. Last night I turned on the light to get a drink of water, the fan started a short while after. Of course, it is 10pm and I am ready to head for bed, so I am in NO mood to deal with i right then... I gave us, hit the light switch off, and it shut down... Hmm. Switched it back on and it came back on.... Repeated itself about 6 times, then couldn't make it do it. Seemed to only be that one light.

Not sure if anyone else has been having problems with their thin lights, but this is the 4th one I have had problems with now. I realize my coach is an 01, but man, at $60 a pop, and not able to get just the ballast, these things are getting expensive.

Thanks Again!

John

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moder2:
I found it!

Thanks you guys for the RF suggestion! It is one of the thin lites, just over the table. I'll replace the bulbs later, or swap the fixture, but I would have never found that without your suggestions!

Thanks Again!

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John;
I am happy that you located your problem. You went through some of the same frustrations I did. I found changing the bulbs did not solve the problem. It was a ballast problem. Just disconnect 1 light at at a time until you locate the bad one. I used a side cutter to cut the B+ wire.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote