Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Weeping Awning??

So, the awning on our new to us 36m is weeping water through it. Is there something like "Scotch Guard" That needs to be applied?
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

I would use this stuff:

Please also purchase an organic respirator to apply this. You need a painting respirator with a charcoal element as well as a particulate filter. It is going to be difficult to buy one now, but perhaps you could borrow one.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Eagle5! I see you're from WA also. I had to look up South Bend, but now I see you should definitely know you stuff when it comes to weather proofing! All our previous MH's had vinyl type awning material, so I was surprised to see it soaking through in yesterday's rain. Thanks again!
p.s. Pacific Beach S.P. is one of our favorites.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Pat & Becky,
Yes, South Bend is one of the oldest towns in Washington. It was where one of Washington's railroad hubs first started, but they later moved the SW hub to Tacoma, because the Willapa River isn't deep enough. We often get 100 inches of rain per year, often very slowly. It might have been about 1965 when we had about three totally cloud-free days. Another interesting thing is the largest Earthquake in US history was the Alaskan Earthquake on March 27th, 1964. I felt it, even as far away as South Bend!
Pacific Beach State Park is an excellent destination. Today is the first day of Spring, and the State Parks are open. Enjoy!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Pat & Becky,
Yes, South Bend is one of the oldest towns in Washington.
You might be able to answer a question I asked elsewhere.

I have an (irrational?) fear of Tsunamis and don't want to decide between rushing to unhook my trailer or just pulling away. I would like a decent RV park on the Washington coast that is elevated from the ocean. Do you know of one?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Site Team

You have nothing to dread. The Twin Harbors region is tsunami-proof. Camp with confidence!

On March 27th, 1964, I was in South Bend, Washington when the 9.2 Alaskan Earthquake hit. Because I was leaning-up against the playground shed at school, I actually felt the earthquake, even though I was about 2,000 miles away. It was the largest U.S.A. earthquake ever recorded. We also witnessed the resultant tsunami which rolled-up the Willapa River. It was only a knee-high roller, and a big fat nothing burger. My friend was clamming on Long Beach as the tsunami hit, and it ruined the rest of his clam dig. My friend said that the water rolled-up the beach as is typical there, but it just didn't recede. It did this two more times, so a low tide became a medium-low tide, and so, no more clamming. The reason Pacific County and Grays Harbor County were spared is because they are tsunami-proof. The bottom contour is twelve miles out at a ½º slope, so no energy can reach the beach, so to speak. Regarding the river, the shallow and narrow channel did allow that small roller to come in, but that was it. The Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor regions are immune to the effects of an earthquake-induced tsunami.

Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You have nothing to dread. The Twin Harbors region is tsunami-proof. Camp with confidence!
Not from a Cascadia quake. It would only be minutes before total destruction. Alaska was just due to location (and not distance).
Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
Site Team

The local newspaper The Chinook Observer published an article saying that the 45 foot berm of sand they were going to build to save the children wouldn't be tall enough, so it would need to be a 75 foot tall berm of sand. Because that much weight would push-down into the surrounding soil and sand and be unstable, the project was dismissed as impractical, and was abandoned. There is no campground high enough in that area to meet your requirement.

With that said, I don't believe the Cascadia Fault would create a problem for the Twin Harbors area because the bottom contour is way too level. The Cascadia fault line is out 100 miles. If you rapidly change from deep to shallow near the shoreline, then the tsunami will manifest. The Alaskan Earthquake passed by the Twin Harbors area and traveled even further away, to hit the rapidly-changing bottom contours of Oregon, where it did much damage.

Yes, you could have an earthquake out there, but the folks who do research on it want to continue to study it, for another grant next year. The FEMA Organization would not grow as much without ringing the alarm bells. Even the newspapers all look for a fringe worse-case disasters, and promote it because it makes for more exciting reading, and more patronage. It becomes a self-promoting money-making legend, but it doesn't make it true.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, you could have an earthquake out there, but the folks who do research on it want to continue to study it, for another grant next year. The FEMA Organization would not grow as much without ringing the alarm bells. Even the newspapers all look for a fringe worse-case disasters, and promote it because it makes for more exciting reading, and more patronage. It becomes a self-promoting money-making legend, but it doesn't make it true.
I'm pretty informed on the earthquake risk, in part from having followed the UW's PNSN Earthquake page. I realize the risk is low, but I always worry about low risk/high catastrophic situations. It affects my ability to relax on vacation.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Safe is Relative

Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
So, the awning on our new to us 36m is weeping water through it. Is there something like "Scotch Guard" That needs to be applied?
I once thought the same but it turns out it is condensation. The cold air on top of the awning, high humidity and the warmth from underneath = Condensaiton on the underside of the fabric. Get some sort of mop handle like a swiffer and dry it off periodically.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Which awning do you have? The Vinyl or the Woven Fabric Awning? The woven which allow air to pass through have different maintenance requirements and treatments than the vinyl coated ones. If you wipe the underside of the woven awning you will just make matters worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It was definitely soaking through in the downpour. Thanks tho.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Tan woven one.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Yep. If you even “touch” a woven awning it will leach water.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Yep. If you even “touch” a woven awning it will leach water.
Great info guys. I will probably use the Scotchgard once we return home from Yuma.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Tan woven one.

Yes those are more of a sun shade and not a rain awning. If they have been touched or creased too many times they will start to wick water through at a greater rate. Some though were never intended to protect you from rain and are light filtering so will always weep when they get wet.

Woven fabric awnings are not really water proof only water resistant even after they have been treated. Just like a "Water Resistant" watch that can take a light splashing they don't keep water out like a "Water Proof" watch.

Vinyl awnings are water proof but do not breath.

Many companies that make awning fabrics such as SunBrella highly recommend 303 Fabric Guard for restoring water and stain resistance.

See: https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard/
Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

Tags
awning