Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The wife just called, traced a beeping sound in the MH down to the awning control box. Cold here this morning. Anybody know what this is signaling?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The wife just called, traced a beeping sound in the MH down to the awning control box. Cold here this morning. Anybody know what this is signaling?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sounds an alarm for freezing conditions.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There's a little toggle switch on the box you can flip to the off position and the "lets go further south" beeping will cease. It's on the far side of the box.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anybody know what this is signaling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem and I am located in Florida, so it is not related to cold temperatures I would think. If I turn off the wind sensor with the switch located at the back of the control box the beeping stops.

I called Dometic but they would not discuss the problem. I was told they did not offer technical support and to take it to a dealer. At this point I am not willing to take it to the dealer just to lose my coach for several weeks again for a minor problem

I also called Winnebago tech support two days ago. They also have no clue what the beeping means and told me to call Dometic.

It appears to me that it has something to do with the wind sensor. Sometimes my awning will not extend either and if I turn off the wind sensor switch, it will extend.

I had refrigerator problems in the past and had the same experience with Norcold at that time. They did not want to discuss the problem either and only said "take it to a dealer"

I am not impressed with either Norcold or Dometic's customer support at this point.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
There's a little toggle switch on the box you can flip to the off position and the "lets go further south" beeping will cease. It's on the far side of the box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donovan has your answer. It's a freezing sensor. Turn off your toggle switch.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It will beep during freezing conditions. If there is a communication issue, like when the wind sensor goes bad it will beep indicated it needs to be replaced.

Now the bad new, on the older models 2005 and prior, and even some 2006 (I am sure some dealers still had them on the shelf) the wind sensor on the roof and the control box are "Married" meaning they have to be replaced together. If you call Dometic, with your serial number & product number they will tell you if they would have to be replaced togther, I would take a guess with your year and say they would.

Hopefully since it is below freezing that will be your issue. Let me know if you need further help.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE]
I have the same problem and I am located in Florida, so it is not related to cold temperatures I would think. If I turn off the wind sensor with the switch located at the back of the control box the beeping stops.
[QUOTE]

Like Harry's box, mine is beebing too and we're in warm SoCal. This just started a week ago. I've left the switch in the off position until I have time to troubleshoot. I'm wondering if there is a reset button or do you have to remove power to clear the alarmed mode.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks as always to fellow IRV2'ers for another answer. Toggle switch cured the beeping. This great site and forum have saved me countless hours of calls to the Dealer or Factory over the past year or so. Happy Holidays to all. Bowats
Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have had this beeping occur when I unplugged the line running from the wind sensor to the control box (it looks like a telephone cord). Check to see the connector is tight into the control box.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

This is typical for that sensor. The problem is that this sensor is generally misunderstood. It checks to see if the wind is blowing excessively so that it can retract the awning in those conditions. However, it does not test the wind speed. Instead it tests for a temperature drop across the sensor. A wind speed sensor would be sort of like an anemometer - one of those propeller things parked over your basic weather station. That wouldn't hold up very well on an RV that moves down the road. So instead they test for a temperature drop, which will happen whenever the wind speed increases. So far, so good.

The problem occurs when it gets too cold for the sensor to work. That's why you need to flip the switch off during winter. The most probable reason that Harry's unit beeps is probably because the sensor is wet. If you go up on the roof with some compressed air and blow out the sensor tower chances are pretty good that it'll stop beeping once it dries out. I've seen this happen a number of times before.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote