Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

weather strip trim attachment

The weatherstripping on my 2003 Minnie is pulling away. For a temporary fix I had pushed the trim back into the channel and put duct tape to hold it. It already started pulling away again. How do I secure it better?

The pictures are in this album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/brCCjKUgCyGDWqx38
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
US1
Winnebago Camper

Pull it out from the loose area on down to the bottom, then reinstall the trim, but dont pull it while installing. I actually try to crowd the trim in as in trying to shove a 12" strip into a 10" long slot. When you pull the trim, it stretches, then as colder temps come about, the trim will try to shrink, and pull out of the channel at the easiest location.....inside bends, just as your pic shows. Only downside to crowding the trim in is you may end up a little short at the end if reusing original trim. Be less noticeable down low, vs at eye level
Old 11-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The plastic filler strip has shrunk. it wont stay in place.

It's easy to replace the whole piece from top roof radius to the bottom of the main house.

As a temporary fix (I did this for over a year) splice in a short piece (like 3 or 4 inches) where it doesn't show. I cut a very Narrow piece of duct tape & put on the back side connecting the splice to the main vinyl filler & super glued the butt ends. let if cure before pushing back into the channel.

I replaced the full strip a few months ago down the where my Winny has a Blue painted part (used the splice method at this point). at the same time I replaced almost all of the factory screws behind the vinyl strip (they hold the aluminum track to the main box) with stainless steel as most of the factory ones were rusted.

You will need to put a coule of "Weep" holes for water to drain out (Look at the Factory installed vinyl trim and you can see them)

the Vinyl trim is inexpensive, I ordered 100 feet and planning on replacing all the trim filler strip also on the back & the side feature trim.
kamphiker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkGPW6Zefd99hA_6...Gjgqg?e=JZd4MD Picture of my splice
kamphiker2 is offline   Reply With Quote