Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a Weather Pro awning and on the 38J it doesn't have very much slope when extended due to the living room slide. In the past, on other units, we always dropped one end of the awning at night in case of rain.

I'm nervous about leaving this one out in any kind of rain. I know it's supposed to automatically drop on one end to let the water off but I'm a little sceptical. I'm interested in hearing about other folks experience with this awning.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #2
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Mine worked just great for about 6 months, then it quit. It quit retracting in the wind, and it quit tilting itself in the rain.
I get the impression my experience is pretty common. I was great when it worked!

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have the WeatherPro and mine "dips" as advertise.

If yours has stopped dipping lube the rear arms with silicon spray.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Gary,

IMHO, I would not leave the awning out overnight. Two reasons - 1 - if it gets damp from the night air, you need to let it dry before rolling it up or it will mildew. 2- in my experience the wind sensor does not work all the time. Sometime the awning will roll in with less wind than I have it set for and sometime I can believe the wind is going to rip the awning off the side of the coach before I can get to it.

I use my awning a lot but only when I am home(coach) and it is not raining or damp.

I really like my power awning but there is a lot to be said for the old manual awnings

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Gary wrote...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know it's supposed to automatically drop on one end to let the water off but I'm a little sceptical. I'm interested in hearing about other folks experience with this awning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, on my 04 Bago,(33V) the weather pro was pretty undependable when I first got it. It needed both the sensor and control box changed, ( and the WPO rep said, " they are factory calibrated together, and must ALWAYS be changed together)..Since that was done, it has worked flawlessly, retracting and "dipping" when appropriate. a few cautions, there are "dip" switches in the control box to set the wind speed that will cause retraction. Altho I am a 'tinkerer" by nature, I would suggest that they be reset with caution, and you should note where they were set when you began to "tinker". Another problem point, there is an off/on switch on the control box, and if left in the off position, will cause the "automatic" part of your awning, to be.." Not Auto". One last caution, on my 33V, there is a "head of the bed" window directly next to the end of the awning, where the "dumping" takes place. BTW, that dumping is pretty dramatic. I expect one of these days, mine will dump when I have that window open..If Im in bed when that happens, I will repost with info on how exciting THAT is...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I didn't know there was a "control box". Where is that normally located?

On our travel trailer we always had the awning open, day and night. It makes for a little extra living space. It's disappointing not to be able to do the same with this unit. I always enjoyed sitting under it in a light rain.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary, If you talk to Dometic about your awning they will tell you that the awning is for shade and if it gets broken/torn because of rain, that is a act of God and there is no warranty. In a light rain it is susposed to dip when water collects. If you pull down on the aft arm you will see the "give". You can use a hair dryer to see if it retracts by holding it close to the sensor on the roof.
Do a search on this subject and you will find a wealth of information. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary N.:
I didn't know there was a "control box". Where is that normally located? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my control box, it's in a curbside compartment....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There have been many post on the subject. The tilt problem comes into play when the rear awning arm will not slide down as designed. Over a year ago while at the factory I found out that some awning where made wrong not allowing the arm to extend to a fully outward position, allowing the weight of water to make the arm slide in its slide. They replaced my awning with one that was 96 inches wide instead of my original 90 inches after complaining that the awning colasped in the center with water that accumulated on it. It now dumps fine. And if you search the posts you will find a post showing what the switch settings are for different wind speeds. I lowered mine to 15mph from the factory 18 mph because to many times it did not seem sensitive enough

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
This is my control box, it's in a curbside compartment....[QUOTE]

Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words. I found it.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Gary,

If you want to test the water/rain feature, just put the awning out, climb up on your roof with the garden hose, spray the awning. When enough water fills the awning it should dip in the rear and dump the water. Just be sure your better half is not standing there watching you, or you may never get off the roof.

For the wind test, take a hair blower and blow it into the sensor (the little mushroom thing) for a few seconds. Repeat this four times within 10 minutes and the awining should roll up.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

My control box is located in the basement compartment directly to the left of the entrance door. It is on the left wall of this compartment.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV_Boy:
Gary,

If you want to test the water/rain feature, just put the awning out, climb up on your roof with the garden hose, spray the awning. When enough water fills the awning it should dip in the rear and dump the water. Just be sure your better half is not standing there watching you, or you may never get off the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can hear it now...honey....stand right under the awning and tell me when it goes in....
Old 04-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

The pic you showed for a control box is an Off / On switch. Do you have another control box that lets you adjust the wind speed for when the awning is supposed to come in?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Gary wrote..<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words. I found it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a great picture, tho be aware that there is an on/off switch on the outside of the box. You see from the label in the pic.,that this switch isn't off/on. On mine it is a small, almost micro size toggle, on the back so the label isn't visible.You may have to use a mirror and lite so see what position yours is in..A tech left mine off after a repair, and I (foolishy, my wife says) sat on the steps in a micro burst type storm, waiting for it to retract. It really went thru some stress's and contortions, before I gave up and used the remote to retract it. Later I found the toggle in the off position. .rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian,by taking the four screws off the front panel of the in/out switch box (enable/disable sensor toggle on side),you will see a series of pot switches....I will do a search and get back to ya,but the position of those pot switches is what determines the wind sensor's sensitivity...
Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

So far I've found a different controller than what I have.but HERE'S a link to the pdf file for one type of controller box...

Here's the rest of the story from a search I just did of old posts....

Posted February 07, 2006 08:28 AM by member "Red T"
Not sure this is applicable to newer installations (mine is a 2004 Meridian) but this works for me:
Remove the 4 screws on the "Black Box"
On the circuit board is a module with little white DIP switches on it.
If all switches are off, the unit is set to react to an 18 mph wind.
Turn the power off to the Black Box.
#2 ON will add 3 mph to the 18 mph setting.
#3 ON will add 6 mph to the 18 mph setting.
2 & 4 ON will lower the setting 3 mph from 18 mph.
3 & 4 ON will lower the setting 6 mph from 18 mph.
Be sure the switches are completely FULL ON or FULL OFF (full up or full down), not in the middle.
Turn the power back on and see what happens.
I found that 2 & 4 ON and the rest OFF works for me.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

"In the black box in your outside curb side storage compartment there are 5 dip switches. When the unit is installed all 5 switches are off. If you leave switch 1&2 off and 3&4 on and 5 off this setting will give your unit the most sensitive setting. (aprox 7- 12 MPH winds) will close awning. With all 5 switches in off setting is for winds of 14-18 MPH. Also be sure you have the switch located on the outside of black box on the end set to enable to make the system work."
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Mine also works as advertised. And that remote control key fob thingy is really neat. I can operate it from anywhere near the MH.

Only drawback is that they are up so high and don't give as much shade as the manual awnings.

Even at 5 feet 17 inches I cannot reach the awning.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1 - if it gets damp from the night air, you need to let it dry before rolling it up or it will mildew. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have never had any mildew. I don't park under trees and my roof is clean. I had an acrylic awning on my last motorhome for 10 years and never had any mildew on it and I never washed the awning. Acrylic fabric is much better than vinyl. I leave mine out overnight and when it rains. I bring it in when it storms though or is very windy.

I keep the remote on the nightstand. If a storm comes up in the middle of the night I use the remote to close the awning.