Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wax over decals?

Hi Folks,
Getting ready to buy wax. I'm leaning towards Meguiars 56 or Flagship. Question is, has either of these products caused a problem with the body decals? I see warnings about wax on vinyl and am thinking those decals might be vinyl.
If these products aren't suitable for waxing over decals, what is safe?
Thank you all folks.
Chuck
ChckNDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChckNDee View Post
Hi Folks,
Getting ready to buy wax. I'm leaning towards Meguiars 56 or Flagship. Question is, has either of these products caused a problem with the body decals? I see warnings about wax on vinyl and am thinking those decals might be vinyl.
If these products aren't suitable for waxing over decals, what is safe?
Thank you all folks.
Chuck
I can't answer your question specifically as you asked, but I can say I never intentionally put wax on my vinyl decals. I do use Mequiars #56 Pure RV & Boat wax and I personally hand wax my own RV twice a year. I have a 2019 I bought brand new; so I have waxed about 5 times ( a 4 hr job for me solo) and I will do again this Spring.

I put the 303 protectant on my decals after ever wash (about 5 or 6 times per year) I keep my RV outside in the sun with no cover and it still looks new. Now when I wax; do some wax get on the decals, absolutely because I am not gonna mask the decals every time. But to purposely wax the decals, I would never do Of course I have never done so; thus I can't tell you what happens to those that do. I can tell you if you do not protect the decals they will crack and that can happen within a year with enough UV exposure. Treat your vinyl with 303 Protectant or similar and you will be very pleased.

FWIW, I use RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax after every trip. It is just great stuff that works. I use both RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax & #56 on the roof and never see the black streaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_185828.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	182073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210805_165456.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	182074  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I can't answer your question specifically as you asked, but I can say I never intentionally put wax on my vinyl decals. I do use Mequiars #56 Pure RV & Boat wax and I personally hand wax my own RV twice a year. I have a 2019 I bought brand new; so I have waxed about 5 times ( a 4 hr job for me solo) and I will do again this Spring.

I put the 303 protectant on my decals after ever wash (about 5 or 6 times per year) I keep my RV outside in the sun with no cover and it still looks new. Now when I wax; do some wax get on the decals, absolutely because I am not gonna mask the decals every time. But to purposely wax the decals, I would never do Of course I have never done so; thus I can't tell you what happens to those that do. I can tell you if you do not protect the decals they will crack and that can happen within a year with enough UV exposure. Treat your vinyl with 303 Protectant or similar and you will be very pleased.

FWIW, I use RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax after every trip. It is just great stuff that works. I use both RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax & #56 on the roof and never see the black streaks.
That’s one shiny roof!
Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There are thousands of cars on the road with vinyl decals and it is probably safe to say that those cars get waxed. I had several cars with decals and just waxed them, never had an issue.

With that said, I don't know if RV manufacturers use different grade decals??

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #5
2003 Journey 32T

Yeah, I'm sure many people do it, but you're not supposed to. Waxing vinyl will degrade it over time. As one above said, use 303 vinyl protection. Do not use armor all.
alamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

what is $56?
Old 03-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
what is $56?
A whole nine gallons of gas...
Old 03-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamon View Post
Yeah, I'm sure many people do it, but you're not supposed to. Waxing vinyl will degrade it over time. As one above said, use 303 vinyl protection. Do not use armor all.
You are exactly right. Using Armor All or similar can actually make things worse. It takes a long time to prove, or for one to see actual impacts over one or other. Some waxes can even affect the color of decal and if you have multi color decals it could looks worse. 303 Seems expensive at first, but when you start to use, it last a very long time and you can actually see the difference. I try to treat every 2 months or so; takes me about 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
what is $56?
If you were referring to my reference of what I use...

Mequiars #56 Pure RV & Boat wax https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you have not been waxing on regular basis, you may need a more aggressive wax to remove any oxidizing first.

There can be a lot of opinions on waxes, cleaners, and treatments of decals, but if you have ANY DOUBTS; just get with the Manufacturer and get their recommendations. Winnebago put me in touch with Filon Composites and what you see in earlier pictures above is me following their steps, but on steroids

Having said that, I bet I only spend 20 hours of my time per year on my RV?

2 wax per year @ 5 hrs each
5 detailed RV Wash & Wax per year @ 2 hrs each

Maybe $40 in materials
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote