Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Wax Fiberglass Roof

Anyone wax their fiberglass roof? When I took our King Dome off to install the Travler, I noticed how much the roof has lost it's shine. I was going to get the whole coach detailed and wondered if it would be worth asking them to do it.

I know I won't want to walk on it for a while.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I do wax mine. Spent a lot of time removing failed floor finish. I like the wax better.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't wax my fiberglass roof, but I do use 303 on it to help protect it against the elements. I walk on my roof only when necessary, so the idea of making that super slippery doesn't appeal to me. Even the 303 makes it a little more slippery, but I feel like I need to do something to offer some layer of protection.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I don't wax my fiberglass roof, but I do use 303 on it to help protect it against the elements. I walk on my roof only when necessary, so the idea of making that super slippery doesn't appeal to me. Even the 303 makes it a little more slippery, but I feel like I need to do something to offer some layer of protection.
Mine is chalking badly and am considering RV Armor. I am not familiar with 303, what is that?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

We bought ours used and for most part it has faired well after 2-3 years, but it was outside. I think I'd like to get it detailed and then we will be parking it inside during storage so I hope I don't have to do it again for several years.

303 is good stuff, but I would never go with RV Armor unless I had roof failure. Fiberglass is a superior roof over some of the other options as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I used 303 after first stripping the roof of the failed finish. It held up well for several months. I used Wash Wax All on the last application. Will see how it holds up. Also as far as being slippery after application. I really never noticed a difference with or without.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Wax

I just waxed mine again. This time I used 3M Marine Cleaner and Wax and it came our very good!

In the past I compounded the roof and then follower up with McGuire's Ultimate Polish. The 3M sure saved a lot of work with a one step process and produced great results.

Waxing your roof gets you up close and personal with all the seams and caulking, and helps prevents future issues.

With either product the roof isn't all that slippery, obviously care is need in just walking on a RV roof and wax made it no different.

However my brother thinks I need to seek a Doctor out who can assist me in curing the attention deficient I have in keeping my RV impeccable.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
Mine is chalking badly and am considering RV Armor. I am not familiar with 303, what is that?

A very popular cleaner and protector. It is used by a lot of boaters and RVers and is readily available on Amazon and many stores.

303 (30202) Multi-Surface Cleaner Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z8F2DU..._OcMJxbJFHTH7C
Old 07-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Once a year I have the roof washed and waxed . I use "new finish" . By keeping the roof maintained it helps eliminate the streaks when it rains. Probably just me but I think it helps !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Once a year I have the roof washed and waxed . I use "new finish" . By keeping the roof maintained it helps eliminate the streaks when it rains. Probably just me but I think it helps !
Oh I would absolutely agree - I think the streaks come from the roof oxidization and general dirt up there. Rubber roofs were real bad.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

Is the 303 actually a replacement for wax, or maintenance? My buddy swears by it, but it seems to be like Armour All, a short lived shine? I've never tried it.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

303 is a great product but $$$. I just use a good cleaner first and Protect All. Not slippery and seems to prevent the oxidation from forming. If I had a problem I would consider the Armor Coat as it also seals joints well and is a lifetime product. BOL

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 32H
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Is the 303 actually a replacement for wax, or maintenance? My buddy swears by it, but it seems to be like Armour All, a short lived shine? I've never tried it.
No, 303 is not a replacement for wax. It was developed only for the purpose of protecting rubber and vinyl products. It has no petrolium base or chemicals that can and will eventually dry rubber/vinyl out.
Great for your slide seals, tires, window seals, vinyl toppers and awnings, and really great on vinyl decals and graphics.
I give my slide seals and flaps a spray every month or so, and graphics, tires whenever I give the Lexi a bath.
A little goes a long way and it dosen't take much to spray down your rubbers avery so often.
As for waxing my roof, no. I get up and check it on a regular basis, at least every two weeks. Don't need it to be slippery, just clean.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

When I had rubber roofs they were kind of a pain to keep up, and easily damaged. I would have looked at the Armor Coat as well if my roof ever ballooned or was damaged.

However, I'm really liking this fiberglass roof. The lap sealant is easy to remove the replace, and it seems a little more solid. I know on my Winnie I have to watch the edge caulking as they do have an issue with wind damage if not maintained.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Years ago, I read on this forum about an easy solution to protecting the fiberglass roof. Johnson One Step No Buff Wax. It's a liquid wax that can be applied in about 15 minutes following a good cleaning. I have applied it once a year and it has held up nicely. It comes in a tall metal can and is applied with a sponge mop, available at Home Depot.

It states on the can that it is Fine Wood Floor Care. It has adhered itself nicely to fiberglass as well. For what it's worth..............

Phil

Tags
roof