Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water pump noise:

Hi all, I'm new to RV ownership and my water pump makes a sound it does not normally make. Instead of the usual windmill like noise, it makes a labored grinding followed by an electric buzzing. I think the pump might be dying or something like that, do I need to replace it? is it that easy? or is it something more concerning than that?
Derek S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Much depends on what you have for a pump as they are not all the same!

This is a common one that shows what parts are involved on it. Not much there and nothing complex to change the parts that are most likely to fail. The hard part is often just getting in close enough in some small space!

Once reaching the pump, it likely has four screws to hold it down, two pipes for in and out and two wires to run the motor.
The repair itself is likely to need the front part removed to get to the rubber parts inside. Maybe a phillips screwdriver?

But there are different brands and different models so checking on the pump for the correct info is a good start. Then search for parts or pump to match and see what it looks like for doing it!

https://pantherrvproducts.com/shurfl...rts-breakdown/

If the screwdriver fits the hand, it's not hard from there!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Im not sure what the exact issue is or what part, but I got a shurflo standard pump, thee issue seems to lie there.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay with that info but without knowing which RV we can't tell you which model you have. The difference is normally in the flow of each pump, some pump faster than others and it is normally considered best to go back with the same flow rate if changing pumps. Expectto find alabelon the pump.

So I might recommend taking a look at the pump and getting close to hear the noise is coming from the pump.
That will also let you look at what it might take to get it out to really look at it and take it apart.
Depending on where you live and how far to parts store and what you need to do to get it fixed will decide how you want to go.
If I were not needing to use the RV and pump soon, I might take it out and take a look at the inside. You probably can spot something wrong and it is likely to be a rubber part that gets old and splits so it is easy to spot!

Make sure to get the right part for the model you have!
This is a diffferent model that has only three "sections" in the rubber part, where the other had four. This is a pretty simple pump but can confuse the first time you look at one as it has a shaft which may look crooked as it wobbles to push the different rubber sections to pull water in and force it out!
Maybe take it apart and look for trouble? ? Wobble is okay!
Click image for larger version

Name:	2088.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	184559

One thing to know about is the pressure adjustment on the left end as pictured here. There will be a small screw that you can turn to adjust how long the pump stays off or how long it runs each time. Often not needed to turn that screw but if the pump seems to cycle too much when running water, you can improve that by turning the screw a 1/4 turn at a time to see which way and how much to turn to get it to do what seems right.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Derek,
All of the information which Richard has given to you is excellent, to be sure. Once you do get your pump repaired well, there is another noise consideration. As for me, I find the pump cycling fully on and then fully off both to be too loud and too annoying. User jwiebe and I have both installed an Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller. It works wonderfully.
What Year & Model & Floor Plan do you have? It is good if you can add that to your signature.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 11-04-2022, 11:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Okay with that info but without knowing which RV we can't tell you which model you have. The difference is normally in the flow of each pump, some pump faster than others and it is normally considered best to go back with the same flow rate if changing pumps. Expectto find alabelon the pump.

So I might recommend taking a look at the pump and getting close to hear the noise is coming from the pump.
That will also let you look at what it might take to get it out to really look at it and take it apart.
Depending on where you live and how far to parts store and what you need to do to get it fixed will decide how you want to go.
If I were not needing to use the RV and pump soon, I might take it out and take a look at the inside. You probably can spot something wrong and it is likely to be a rubber part that gets old and splits so it is easy to spot!

Make sure to get the right part for the model you have!
This is a diffferent model that has only three "sections" in the rubber part, where the other had four. This is a pretty simple pump but can confuse the first time you look at one as it has a shaft which may look crooked as it wobbles to push the different rubber sections to pull water in and force it out!
Maybe take it apart and look for trouble? ? Wobble is okay!
Attachment 184559

One thing to know about is the pressure adjustment on the left end as pictured here. There will be a small screw that you can turn to adjust how long the pump stays off or how long it runs each time. Often not needed to turn that screw but if the pump seems to cycle too much when running water, you can improve that by turning the screw a 1/4 turn at a time to see which way and how much to turn to get it to do what seems right.
It's calked in and I don't have the means to remove it. I'm mostly trying to learn about the situation as much as I can as I don't really know what to do.
The pump is dead now, but I have relatively easy access to an alternative water source outside.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

OK that solved the noisy pump issue. Now determining the brand and model replacement pump is next. I suggest looking at a variable-speed water pump, it adjusts to pumping only enough water to meed demand, which means less noise..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Anyone familiar with the IRVWPC(The Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller) ? It is supposed to help with the water pump noise.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Hi Mashmaster,
I have an IRVWPC, and I love it!
Water Pump Variable Speed Controller for a 22M
Eagle5
Old 11-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Anyone familiar with the IRVWPC(The Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller) ? It is supposed to help with the water pump noise.
That is old school; today variable-speed water pumps are common and accomplish the same thing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2022, 12:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is old school; today variable-speed water pumps are common and accomplish the same thing.
I am surprised to hear that the Intelligent RV Water Pump Controller was already old school. What variable speed water pump would you recommend instead?
Eagle5
Old 11-12-2022, 01:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Take your pick:12 best variable speed RV water pumps.
My MH still has an OEM single speed water pump with 2G accumulator tank. When either fails I'll remove the accumulator tank and install a variable speed pump.

Tags
noise, water, water pump