Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water on top of slides????

Twice now when I've brought in my drivers side main slide there has been water on the top of it and the water then gets all over the floor inside the coach. What is every one doing to prevent this from happening?? I've been thinking of using the manual mode of the levelers and raising the front about an inch or so to drain the water off, but am wondering of the adverse effect of doing this with the slides extended.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Tilting the coach , and waiting for the water to run off , is about all you can do . Even with a slide awning , I've had to drain the puddle on occasion, to prevent the runoff down the slide wall , when half way in.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you have slide covers? Ours has them so we close the slide a bit and wait until the water runs off before completely closing it.

If no slide covers then your idea of raising the front should work.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If your taliking about the water that can gather on your slide topper I've seen people stuff a couple of soccer balls up between the slide roof and the topper to create a run-off. Myself, I built a skeleton out of 3/4 PVC plumbing pipe with the associated fittings to do the same thing. You just have to REMEMBER to remove them before you bring the slide in. My reminder is a sticky note taped to the slide switch.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't operate the jacks with my slides out ( per Power Gear ) but I have a Fleetwood. I close them slowly allowing the water to drain off the slide topper and the remaining water on the slide is wiped off by the blade ( or whatever it is ) .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If I have water on the slide covers, I bring the slide in a foot or so and stop. That usually tightens the cover enough to let most of the water run off. Then maybe another foot or less, wait a second for any left over water and then finish closing. Never had water inside yet. Works for me.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sometimes after a hard blowing rain water will collect on top of the slide roof. I assume this is the issue described? The wiper blade will get most but not all and the result is a cold bath on your back! To prevent this after retracting the slide we place towels at the front edge, this absorbs the water. Just be sure to remove them before extending!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I wish I could take credit but the previous owner of my Country Coach made a " pvc length of pipe long enough to reach the top, then a 90 elbow, then about a 12" of pvc, another 90 elbow and finally about another 6" pvc pipe to reach down into the water. Now suck on the end of the pipe! That water flows out like you can't believe. Better have a buck or two under the pipe or it splashes all over you and the coach. A small slit in the end of the short piece of pipe keeps it from sucking the topper material against the end of the pipe.
Another option if you have a ladder is go up on top with a broom. That's what I had to do with my 05 CC Inspire but this is much easier. Broom works with snow also.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Owner's manual for my Itasca states:

Before Retracting Slideout Room
If it has rained recently before you retract the
slideout room, we recommend using the hydraulic
leveling system to lean the coach and drain off
any excess water possibly remaining on the roof
before retracting. Lean the coach slightly to the
left (driver’s side) as shown by raising both right
side jacks to let excess water flow away from the
rooftop weatherseal and toward the outside of the
slide-out roof.

gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Owner's manual for my Itasca states:

Before Retracting Slideout Room
If it has rained recently before you retract the
slideout room, we recommend using the hydraulic
leveling system to lean the coach and drain off
any excess water possibly remaining on the roof
before retracting. Lean the coach slightly to the
left (drivers side) as shown by raising both right
side jacks to let excess water flow away from the
rooftop weatherseal and toward the outside of the
slide-out roof.

Our WB manual recommends the same thing. Last time out we had lots of rain. I usually just run the slide in and water just pours off, not this time the weight was too much and the slide topper was pulled into the MH with the slide. Water everywhere.....luckily the topper or seals were not damaged but I was worried when I ran the slide back out...I will be a lot more careful next time....
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Twice now when I've brought in my drivers side main slide there has been water on the top of it and the water then gets all over the floor inside the coach. What is every one doing to prevent this from happening?? I've been thinking of using the manual mode of the levelers and raising the front about an inch or so to drain the water off, but am wondering of the adverse effect of doing this with the slides extended.
I think you have the right idea. I've learned to "level" my coach leaning very slightly to the left to keep the water away from the slide wiper, and also either slightly to the front or rear so the water will run off. It takes some practice. I can let the leveling system bring the coach to level, then "tap" the manual buttons until I get it the way I want it. It may sound funny, but I use my bathroom door to show me when I have it right - open it halfway and let it go to see how I'm doing. Hey, it works!

Good luck -
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I got a bath once, now we tilt before retracting all jacks if it has rained within a day of leaving. No new bathing..... BTW, it was a very shocking experience! Not a warm day. 8-)
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had a shower sitting in the driver's seat the first time I stopped quickly after we were on the road. Hard to believe there was that much water on the DS slide top.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We usually climb up and take a look see to make sure the slide tops are clean. We don't have toppers. If there is water or debris I take the broom to it and that gets most everything off the slide.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

For some reason I thought I was the only one with this problem.I haven't had a bath yet but,I have gotten on top of a ladder and put a pool float under the topper to keep the rain from collecting.Safe travels to all
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

A slide awning topper does not prevent wind-blown rain from getting onto the slide roof. Our LR slide roof has a 2.6 gallon depression in it. That's what it seemed like the first time I drove after a rain and all of it drained on me in the driver seat when I stopped. Kind of like the coach's GatorAid bucket surprise. The last trip, I re-learned the apparently forgotten lesson that one should check the roof for water before driving off. The check list now has, "In case it rained..."
I pull the slide in about 1/3, That leaves it tipped down to the outside. Then I retract the jacks from parking, and raise the rear of the coach. It seems that water pours to the front better than to the back on mine. After the water show ends, I retract the jacks, and complete pulling in the slide out. I do a visual recheck of the roof to be sure the water is gone, and lay an old towel on the forward top just in case. I clip my bright orange antenna warning tag on my slideout lock key to remind me about the towel. I have found that if the slide is partially in, the whole rig can absorb more flexing from the jacks. I've had no problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Not the same problem, but similar......

I had a "ton" of water come off my big slide as I put it in but the water was on top of the slide topper, although it didn't get inside the coach. This happen anytime it rained no matter light or heavy. After years of this nuance and sometimes getting soaked when a gust of wind brought it down.

The fix was easy...........added one turn of tension to the slide roller. It's easy, just put the slide out about 6 inches and stick a large nail (or a small Phillips screwdriver shaft into the locking hole at each end of the roller shaft/cap. Doing one end at a time, disconnect the mounting bracket and loop the mounting bar one turn in the direction to tighten the spring.

Additional benefit is much less flapping and billowing when the wind is blowing hard.
I made this adjustment about 5 yrs ago on both slide toppers and the wind and rain have not been a problem anymore.

Maybe another forum member can provide a link to the A&E step-by-step instructions
to adjust topper tension.

Tags
slide, water