Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wasps -- where are they getting in?

We keep getting wasps in the RV, particularly in one campground.

Are they coming in the door and we just don't see it, or are they coming in through the:

1. Air conditioners
2. Refrigerator vent (and from there through the drawers or under-sink storage)
3. Somehow, the slide (because we found a wasp nest under the slide rails)

Ideas?
lgehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure. Do you have the bug screens for your fridge vents?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I added screen to the vent on the passenger side wall, and after we put the solar in, covered the roof vent with screen.

We got them last year in the same campground, before we added solar, so I don't think we did anything to change the situation. We probably made it better. That's why I'm wondering about the air conditioner as the entry point.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know much about air conditioners, but I believe they are a sealed unit. An air conditioner is "recycling" the inside air, not bringing in outside air. Therefore I'd not think they would be an entry point... but I have been known to be wrong!! (And don't tell my husband I said that; I will deny. )
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Pet flea collars have been successfully used by some. I tried it and it worked.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Back side refrigerator wasp deterrent: Half a cat flea collar laid on the bottom of the back side of the refrigerator. Lasts about 90 days. Freezer bag the other half for 90 days later. That said, the back side of the refrigerator should be sealed from the inside of the RV, if properly done.

The outside part of the roof top AC also should be sealed from the inside of the RV, if properly done. Same with the outside part of the furnace.

With slides fully extended, they should be sealed or very close to sealed if properly done. Look for gaps in corners that would be big enough for wasp entry.

There may be a small gap in the corner at the hinge side of the screen door, check that too.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the cat flea collar idea. And I never thought about the furnace as an entry point. I'll check that, too.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You didnt say what RV this is? That makes ALL the difference with intelligent replies

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, we own a 2000 Itasca Sunrise 33V.

I guess I have to figure out how to change my profile. I may have to create a new one to add my RV info.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #10

Lge, you can modify your profile...add, delete etc...no need to create a new one.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I know on my View there is a fresh air vent near the floor in the bathroom that is open to the outside. Perhaps you have something similar.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I haven't fixed it yet, but I know on my 2002 Suncruiser 35U that, under the vanity, where the plumbing goes through the floor into the storage bay containing the water hookups, there's a pretty large, unsealed gap around the plumbing (almost big enough for my hand). In my rig, I can see this by removing the vanity drawers.

Since this bay also houses the sewer connections, it's not totally sealed to the outside so it's a potential access point for wasps and other pests.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have a similar hole in our bathroom that we stuffed with steel wool last fall to deter mice. I'll check to see if it's still in place. If it isn't, that might explain why the wasps so often are in the bathroom. (I thought it might be the fan in the roof.)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I'm thinking expanding spray foam myself. There are some that are supposedly rodent proof but maybe foam and steel wool is a good idea.

There is probably a multitude of cracks and holes that can use it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote