Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wall structure

Do any of you know the structure make-up of the roof or walls in a Sightseer? I wonder about adding anything like a shelf or even pictures to an outside wall, or a vent cover on the roof. I know they aren't as thick as a sticks and bricks house. Does it still have studs to tap into? How long of a screw can I use without coming through?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this. It may answer some of your questions.

Winnebago Superstructure

In general, you can't really screw much into the wall. Winnebago inserts metal plates where something gets attached to the wall. You can scew things into cabinets and some of the cabinet framing in the kitchen and bath area. you can use the 3M stick on/easy to remove hooks and picture hangers

Command Damage Free Hanging Solutions
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you need details about just what's inside a particular section of wall I would recommend contacting Winnebago directly. They may be able to provide you with detailed prints/diagrams for that area of the structure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

To get a general idea of what the metal structure looks like, go out side on a morning with dew ... you will see the pattern of the metal structure by the patterns of DEW / NO DEW
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rotorjock

I recently mounted a hardwood board on an interior wall in my coach. I used short "hollow wall screws" purchased from Lowes. The ones I purchased were rated for 1/8" thick walls. You drill a hole and insert the screw an tighten it up - four metal supports tighten on the inside of the wall as the screw is tightened. Once tightened, you remove the screw and use it to secure whatever you are mounting. There is a metal faceplate on the front wall with the hole for the threaded screw so the mounting is supported front and back. I was amazed by how secure the mounting is. You should have no problem with these in foam and when you install it, the supports should have no problem displacing the foam on the inner surface. When you purchase them, they have the weight they will support marked on the packaging. I had no issue with putting them on a hollow interior wall but personally, I would think twice about an exterior wall.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

As far as a vent cover every one I have installed attached to the metal vent not to the roof
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Caution, I try screwing in a loose screw in shower wall and notice the tip sticking out the other side.
777Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

go to youtube and search for Winnebago Factory Tour. There are several versions, but the one I watched gave a good demonstration of how the walls are built.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. I knew I came to the right place. I don't think I'll be adding anything soon, but being a career pilot I have an obsession about knowing all about the workings of my machines. I guess I can live with the factory decor for now.