Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Via 2012 RV Batteries Help

I bought a 2012 Via with only 14K miles and the Marine batteries in the entry was as you go in are the originals. When I use shore power they seem to charge. I left the unit in storage and went back a couple weeks later and nothing would come on. No lights etc. Since they are 8 yr old could they need replaced?

The RV starts fine (new Bosch) battery. Isn't the marine batteries supposed to be able to start the generator?

If they need replaced what kind would you recommend? Also living in IN should I take them out in the winter and place them in the heated garage? When doing this do I turn off the disconnect battery switch?

Thanks
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

1. There is a battery house/coach disconnect switch (aka "salesman's switch") that should be used to disconnect your house batteries any time you're in storage. Depending on your batteries' condition, if left connected, they can easily discharge in a couple of weeks due to a number of "parasitic" loads such as your propane monitor, etc. Bad batteries can discharge even if disconnected.

See page 6-8 of your operator manual for info on the disconnect switch:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...2012/12Via.pdf

2. I looked at the chassis wiring diagram for your rig and it appears to me that your generator starts off of your chassis battery:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_178759.pdf

3. If your house batteries are original, without question, they should be replaced (4 - 5 years is typical). You can replace them with two similar (or if they'll fit, larger) "marine" batteries but, IMHO, a better solution would be to replace them with two 6v golf cart batteries connected in series to provide 12v. The typical "marine" batteries found in most RVs are a hybrid starting/deep cycle batteries and aren't as robust as true deep cycle batteries. Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries and will give you more amp hours and last longer. They are taller than your existing batteries so measure your available space carefully. You may have to modify the hold-downs. There are "true deep cycle" marine batteries available but they're generally pretty expensive compared to golf cart batteries.

Trojan golf cart batteries are generally acknowledged to be high quality but I and many others have had good results with Costco, Sam's Club or Walmart versions at a lesser price.

There are many sites that will explain how to replace two 12v batteries in parallel with two 6v batteries in series.

Regardless of which way you choose to go, keeping the battery fluids topped up is essential for good battery life.

4. It doesn't get too cold here in the Sacramento area so I can't address the winter issue.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone’s help.
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Most likely the batteries are at end-of-life, especially since they have been completely discharged. This is a very bad thing to do to your lead acid batteries. After you get new ones, keep them charged, use the battery disconnect switch when not in use and trickle charge them periodically to keep them topped up as they will drain down slowly, all by themselves.

Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries