Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 38
valve stem stabilizer suggestions

We have 19.5 wheels with simulator hubs and need valve stem stabilizers/supports for tire monitoring sensors. Any suggestions?
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:20 AM   #2
Just Trying to Help
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
dennysbabe-

I'd start by calling the folks at YourTireShopSupply.com. They sell the well-regarded DuallyValve solid valve stem kits, and some stabilizers, separately. The person at YTSS who helped me select what to buy knew her stuff. A link is here.
__________________
Mark
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F-53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
I was not happy with any of the options I found as they did not seem to fit my covers at the angles I found worked best for the stems, the rubber or spring gizmos did not seem to stay inplace and left the sensor swinging on the stems.
So I went DIY. I had scrap thin aluminum angle on hand and found easy to cut and drill to make suports for the stems, then pop rivet to the covers.
Yes, it would make changing tires on the rim a bit more complex as the stem would have to be unscrewed from the support before the tire could be removed but once I find I'm down to that amount of work, I figured it was not a major factor considering the very rare tire problems I have had in the last 2-3- years!
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
dennysbabe-

I'd start by calling the folks at YourTireShopSupply.com. They sell the well-regarded DuallyValve solid valve stem kits, and some stabilizers, separately. The person at YTSS who helped me select what to buy knew her stuff. A link is here.
Thanks for the link. We've looked for oval rubber supports that would fit and work on ours but haven't had any luck so far so we'll check it out.
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I was not happy with any of the options I found as they did not seem to fit my covers at the angles I found worked best for the stems, the rubber or spring gizmos did not seem to stay inplace and left the sensor swinging on the stems.
So I went DIY. I had scrap thin aluminum angle on hand and found easy to cut and drill to make suports for the stems, then pop rivet to the covers.
Yes, it would make changing tires on the rim a bit more complex as the stem would have to be unscrewed from the support before the tire could be removed but once I find I'm down to that amount of work, I figured it was not a major factor considering the very rare tire problems I have had in the last 2-3- years!
Sounds like something my husband would do. Do you have pics you could share?
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
Sorry, no longer have the RV and no pictures but if he is set to work lightweight metal like aluminum, it just gets down to looking at what might hold the stems from swinging around on the stems and making something to fit.
In my case, none of several metal stems would work for the sensors, so I went to metal braided flexible lines as I did not want to unmount the tires and remount after getting the stems on. The flexible lines made it possible to reach in, screw the lines on and then double back to the outside where I want the sensors. On the duals, one stem pointed in, one out, so getting a solid metal stem to fit both shapes was not something I could find.

But once I went to the flexible lines, cutting about an inch of angle stock, rounding the corners and smoothing the edges to look nicer was not much trouble. I think the stem needed a 1/4 inch hole in the angle and then two 1/8 inch holes to mount the angle to the cover.

I was a bit fussy and drove my wife a bit crazy trying to get all wheels to have the same angle on the mount so they all looked like they were meant to be there, but once figured where and what angle, a couple pop rivets in the predrilled mounting holes was pretty simple.

One note on that if not having a pop rivet gun on hand, is that they are cheap and simple to use. The trick seems to be getting the right length rivet to fit the two layers of material and still draw up nice and tight. I went with rivets as better than trying to make screws hold in the super thin metal of the covers!
The angle stock was something like 1/8 inch thick and the cover was far less so I think I wound up using 3/16 inch rivets but that likely varies with different metal.

Lots of uses for the rivet gun and lots of videos of using one if not on hand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stem mount.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	182855  
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 197
I bought these extensions before I got the long valve stems from DuallyValve and still had them on board. So when the tire guys just really didn't want to put in the stems I had them put these on instead. The stabilizer clamps to the wheel simulator, and the extension clips into the loop on the end. It's easy to unclip them to adjust air and then clip them back in. There are some negative reviews but so far I haven't seen any issues or leaking.
__________________
2015 Vista 27N
wyocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I bought these extensions before I got the long valve stems from DuallyValve and still had them on board. So when the tire guys just really didn't want to put in the stems I had them put these on instead. The stabilizer clamps to the wheel simulator, and the extension clips into the loop on the end. It's easy to unclip them to adjust air and then clip them back in. There are some negative reviews but so far I haven't seen any issues or leaking.
This would seem to be workable but there are always some who have trouble when we add more connections in any type of plumbing. The more connections we have it is true that the odds of leaks are increased, so I work to avoid that problem with some simple Loctite added to the fittings as I put them on. Do use some care to avoid getting the valve locked at the same time!
Assuming I can screw them on to not leak and they are sealed to the other parts, I feel safe enough.
Life tends to have some extra risk when we do more?
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 139
A lot of work re-inventing a system I have used successfully for over 10 years. I have covered Hose extenders a few times on my blog. on RV Tire Safety.
The important thing about extenders is to have the outer end solidly attached to the wheel or hub as seen here. The Wheel Master kit includes stainless hoses and 90 angle brackets and nuts to hold the hose.
__________________
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Have a tire blog RVTireSafety.NET Scheduled to give tire seminars at FMCA Convention in Lincoln, NE Aug 23-27 2022
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: IA
Posts: 11
I got my stabilizers from Always Shiny Wheels and RV,
https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...on-stabilizers

I paired them with 4" flexible valve extensions from https://www.summitracing.com. Rigid extensions did not line up with the stabilizers but the flexible ones work great.
jimgossett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve Stem Extension Stabilizer for 22.5″ Freightliner Aluminum Wheela 1237dmctlc Towing, Hitching and Vehicles 0 08-23-2020 08:31 PM
Extra stabilizer suggestions McTrailer Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 1 06-20-2020 03:39 PM
Tire Valve Stem Extentions Cass Sumrall Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 18 05-02-2013 10:55 PM
Metal Valve Stem Extensions - opinions? Rocket Heart General Maintenance and Repair 11 04-24-2008 05:48 AM
Equal and Valve Stem Extenders ichn2go General Maintenance and Repair 7 03-14-2008 07:58 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×