Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Using Eternabond in the J channel?

I found this drawing of the typical J channel on the roof line. This particular sketch was used by MrTransistor back in October 31, 2008.

My question, many people have put the Eternabond tape in this area along the entire length of the roof line. I don't really understand where the tape is aligned during installation to do the most good at making sure the fibreglass roof panel will not come out. Any help will be extremely
appreciated.

Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a related question. I always thought that water could penetrate into the sidewalls if the j-channel sealant failed. Looking at the diagram, it looks like this is not true. Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you place one edge of a 2" wide strip of eternabond at the bottom of the channel, the remainder of the tape will overlap the joint between the top edge of the channel and the roof about 1 1/4". I installed the tape on my Journey in 2005 and it has not shown any hint of releasing at any point. The tape not only seals that entire area but would appear to prevent the glass roof from coming out of that area as described by some folks who have had winds rip off some of the roof material.

If you do a search on this forum for eternabond, you will find a couple of threads with some good photos of the install.

Found this photo which shows the 2" tape installed in the channel:
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I installed Eternabond on mine like smlranger did with his. After 3 years I have not observed any failure of the tape. It appears to be a permanent fix for the caulking issue.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We also installed Eternabond into the J-channel and going on four years no problems. It is a time consuming endeavor to put down the Eternabond but it is well worth the effort for sure.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I did the same thing on mine 3 years ago --- no problems to date.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Not trying to hijack the thread but in the picture that SMLRANGER posted shows the sealer where the cap meets the roof. When I was on top a few days ago, I noticed the sealer was cracking and generally not looking good in a few places. What is this sealer (caulk) and what is the procedure for removing and replacing it or can eternabond be used to cover this point also. I had a leak a couple of months ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread but in the picture that SMLRANGER posted shows the sealer where the cap meets the roof. When I was on top a few days ago, I noticed the sealer was cracking and generally not looking good in a few places. What is this sealer (caulk) and what is the procedure for removing and replacing it or can eternabond be used to cover this point also. I had a leak a couple of months ago.

I used 4" eternabond tape on mine. As find anything on the roof that needs re-caulking, I am removing the old caulk and replacing with eternabond.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have found some leaks in my 08 Fleetwood, and the folks that sold it to me will pay for repairs. The guy who wants to fix it said he would "remove all the old, original" cauking and replace it with new. Sounded like a good idea to me until the guy who sold it to me said he wouldn't remove all the original cauking because it is from the factory and might be a bad idea. Now I'm confused and having learned about eternabond I'm leaning toward just covering old and new cauking with 4" eternabond tape all around. Any advice? The videos and testimonials on eternabond are almost too good to be true.
Thanks
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
I have found some leaks in my 08 Fleetwood, and the folks that sold it to me will pay for repairs. The guy who wants to fix it said he would "remove all the old, original" cauking and replace it with new. Sounded like a good idea to me until the guy who sold it to me said he wouldn't remove all the original cauking because it is from the factory and might be a bad idea. Now I'm confused and having learned about eternabond I'm leaning toward just covering old and new cauking with 4" eternabond tape all around. Any advice? The videos and testimonials on eternabond are almost too good to be true.
Thanks
Ed
Eternabond will not stick to silicone caulk so if that may have been used, you really should remove it. IMO, I would do my best job of removing as much of the old caulking as I could before applying eternabond.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I followed smlranger's advice for all the J channels and front/back seams. In addition I removed all the silicone around the air horns. The metal plate was rusting due to pooled water/moisture. With the tape in place no water pools on the metal air horn base.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
I followed smlranger's advice for all the J channels and front/back seams. In addition I removed all the silicone around the air horns. The metal plate was rusting due to pooled water/moisture. With the tape in place no water pools on the metal air horn base.
Did you leave it white, or.. ?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

The J channel is like a rain gutter.
eugene57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I also used 2 inch on the J channel and 4 inch on the cap joints. Only thing I found was you need to clean the J channel really good for the tape to stick.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Note that when the sealant on the J Channel leaks water can travel to the front of the coach and then flow under the front cap rotting out the windshield frames. By the time you notice it you will likely already have a problem with your windshield frame rusting.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Last year an 18" section of the roof edge separated out of the J channel side rail, where the fiberglass roof sheeting tucks into.

Clean the J channel and repair area well. I used EternaBond's cleaner in a spray can. I cut a short section of the EternaBond and slid it up under the section that had come out of the J channel, side rail, leaving about an 1/4 inch sticking out from under the edge of the fiberglass roof, which I then folded over the lip of the fiberglass sheet, and stuck it down along the outside edge of the fiberglass roof sheeting. I then pressed the edge of the fiberglass roof sheeting back down into the J channel.

I then ran a bead of white silicone sealer along the whole J channel where the fiberglass sheeting was tucked into the J channel to ensure the whole J channel/fiberglass roof sheeting was sealed.

I've added two drawings, a DO THIS and a DON'T DO THIS(I don't know if they will appear here). Follow the DO THIS sketch on how to place the EternaBond. Use a narrow strip, maybe an inch wide. After pressing the roof edge back down into the J channel, with the narrow strip of EternaBond wrapped over the edge, run a strip of silicone sealer on the
outside of the joint.
https://storage-us.gmx.com/qx/[email protected]

Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The photo on the previous post is the exact recall Winnebago issued this year for my Vista. The dealership ordered Eternabond in the same color as the coach and ran the Eternabond looked to be 2 1/2 or 3" wide down the length of the coach on both sides. It went down that J-channel and up onto the roof. Essentially eliminating that caulk joint that caused problems. I am wondering since they are doing it as a recall if they are just installing it at the factory now on units they are shipping.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I received the same recall notice from Winnebago. I checked my coach and realized that the FRP roof to J-channel sealer was bad. I had a trip planned about two weeks later and no local dealers had the tape or could get me in before my trip. I called Winnebago and they said that I didn't need to worry much about going on my trip as long as I was not in a windy area, and to especially stay away from Santa Ana wind areas. Well that posed a problem, since I live in Southern California. I decided to not take a chance on roof damage and repaired the sealer joint on both sides. Winnebago said that if Eternabond tape was placed over the new sealer, the joint would be darn near a permanent fix. I plan on going to the dealer soon.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Eugene57

I had the same problem on my 2013 Vista. But unless they modified construction, it would be very difficult for me to pop the fibreglass out of the J channel. I assume this is what you did to apply the tape. I haven't used tape yet, but certainly gave it serious thought. In the meantime, I clean out the J channel using a razor blade style cutter. Very carefully lying it flat on the fibreglass you can cut the old chalk out. Since it separated from the J channel already it was only a matter of pulling it out. After a good cleaning I re-chalked both sides front to back. But getting back to my original question, how were you able to pop the roof edge out of the channel. I'm afraid if I tried on mine it would crack or split.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Hi, Old Trooper,

The roof edge on my 1999 Suncruiser had actually popped out of the J channel when the original adhesive gave way. My way of fixing it left no visible sign of the EternaBond repair I did. My SunCruiser still looks like new, by the way

https://storage-us.gmx.com/qx/[email protected]

If it isn't out of the channel, I don't think I would try to pry it out. It might crack.

EternaBond, white, tape is fantastic, though, and I do not work for the company