Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Urgent request - Jacks won't lower

On the way to Disney and stopped foot the night at a Walmart in Ocala, FL. Went to lower jacks and nothing. I can here the buttons engaging when I push them and I know the pump is working because I can extend the slides. I am guessing it is a bad connection or fuse, but have no idea where start looking. Checking into Ft Wilderness tomorrow for 8 days.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to replogle
On my 2001 Journey DL the HWH system is located behind the aft door on the living room slide. Eazy to get to with slide out or open the last door on the slide. There are two solenoids located on the lower left. They have lots of large wires going to them. One is for the Jacks the other is for the slide. Tap the solenoid with the plastic handle of a large screw drive. It just maybe a stuck solenoid. You can also check the hydraulic fluid in the tank while your there. Hope this helps.
replogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There should be some blade fuses in line near the pump solenoids. 2 for the slides, 1 for the jacks. 20 amp I believe.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You shoul be able to bleed at hydraulic pump in engine compartment,look for small valves and open valve to bleed pressure off.Are you on 200?
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You must have got fixed,I came by to help but nobody there.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
You shoul be able to bleed at hydraulic pump in engine compartment,look for small valves and open valve to bleed pressure off.Are you on 200?
He couldn't get the jacks down, so no need to bleed.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
He couldn't get the jacks down, so no need to bleed.
He was also at Walmart, and should not have been lowering the jacks anyway...

Hopefully they worked fine at Disney.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=motohomer;1413773]He was also at Walmart, and should not have been lowering the jacks anyway...

Who says!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Why can't you lower jacks at walmart?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

All of this Walmart stuff is off topic. Lets try to help the OP please.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
On the way to Disney and stopped foot the night at a Walmart in Ocala, FL. Went to lower jacks and nothing. I can here the buttons engaging when I push them and I know the pump is working because I can extend the slides. I am guessing it is a bad connection or fuse, but have no idea where start looking. Checking into Ft Wilderness tomorrow for 8 days.
My first guess is that the OP forgot to set his parking brake. (Done that a time or two myself)

My system acts exactly as the OP described.
Alan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

To level or not to level!

Thats a good idea about seting your parking break and be sure the engine is off but you will still need to turn the key on to lower your jacks,
Just in case, you might want to take along with you about 6 or 8 2"x4" about a foot long to drive up on to, so you can level your Rig.(if your jacks won't work).
Again the only reasion for leveling your Rig. is for the Refrigerate.

Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

To all of those that tried to help THANK YOU VERY MUCH! We got up this morning and in the light of day discovered the wiring into the sylinoid was fried. I went to the Ocala Camping World and they diagnosed that there is a bad relay also. Cheap fix but no part in stock so we will just deal with it for the week. I am sorry not to update this earlier, but the day got a little hectic.

For those whose only response was to give me a rash of crap because I even attempted to use my jacks in a Walmart, I assure you that you will get better treatment from me should you ever get in a jam. Oh and for the record I asked permission from the Walmart security guard that worked all night and I also had 12 X 12 blocks down. In 4 1/2 years as a member on this site I have never experienced reactions like this before. Have a great New Year!

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post

He was also at Walmart, and should not have been lowering the jacks anyway...

Hopefully they worked fine at Disney.
Unless you are the CEO or President of Walmart, your simply stating your own, uninformed, opinion.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Because as a guest of Walmart you do not want to damage the asphalt surface of the parking lot. Putting down the jacks compresses the asphalt and leads to pothole formation, which would be an added expense to Walmart.

Be a good RVer and DON'T drop your jacks in a parking lot, whether it be at Walmart or any other store that allows you to rest overnight for free.
You have no idea of what you are talking about. I simply asked for help not a lecture on how to be a "Good RVer".

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Would it do any good if you were to contact Lichtsinn RV and see if they have the parts you need and that they could send them out? Maybe also check with HWH.
Too bad a couple of people got off topic. Have a great time at Disneyworld.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We spent a week at Ft Wilderness two years ago. I was less then impressed with the gadget they rented to me so I could get on the internet.
I'm curious if things have improved...what's been your experience so far for getting on the internet there?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Because as a guest of Walmart you do not want to damage the asphalt surface of the parking lot. Putting down the jacks compresses the asphalt and leads to pothole formation, which would be an added expense to Walmart.

Be a good RVer and DON'T drop your jacks in a parking lot, whether it be at Walmart or any other store that allows you to rest overnight for free.
Our manufacturer recommends that we level our motorhome before opening the slides, and for us, navigating around the bedroom requires opening the bedroom slide. We always use pads under our jacks so as to spread the load and not damage any underlying surface.

I store the pads in one of our basement compartments, and it only takes a couple of minutes to lay them under the jacks. It's part of my routine everywhere we park or camp.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

It's a lousy time for it to break during the holidays, but if you can get a part# from the folks at CW that did the diagnosis, call HWH and see who has it in stock locally. I did that a few years ago with HWH and they called up the highway and found the part for me literally at an offramp about 50 miles up. It was hardly a 10 min detour.

As for this ridiculous side-bar from the WalMart police dictating policy.. Stow it, unless you can find a written policy backing up these silly claims.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
It's a lousy time for it to break during the holidays, but if you can get a part# from the folks at CW that did the diagnosis, call HWH and see who has it in stock locally. I did that a few years ago with HWH and they called up the highway and found the part for me literally at an offramp about 50 miles up. It was hardly a 10 min detour.

As for this ridiculous side-bar from the WalMart police dictating policy.. Stow it, unless you can find a written policy backing up these silly claims.
I did exactly what you suggested. Camping World provided me with part numbers. I will order them when I get home. I should be able to switch them out with no problem.

300 HP Cat Diesel

Tags
jacks