Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Urgent: Need advice on E350 chassis/V8 engine

Have just learned that the 2016 Minnie Winnie 25B now comes standard with a Triton V8 Engine 5.4 L. Am in the midst of closing a deal to replace a 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B that was totaled. We expected to have a V10 engine but Winnebago has changed offerings for 2016. Have concerns about this smaller engine having to power the same "box" not to mention a tow car.

Does anyone have this new V8 engine in a Minnie 22 or 25? Please comment on the performance. We have to make a decision on this deal Monday or Tuesday. All info very much appreciated!!
daisylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
JWmAustin

We've had the 2013 engine in our 31 ft class C with no problem and the 2014 engine in our 37 ft class A which works fine as well. 8 MPG in the C and 6 MPG in the A but the A is noisy. Enough power in both but I understand they've taken the power down in the 2016. Same engine just less power. As I understand it the lower power was to allow for more an added gear in the transmission. We have a friend with one like that but not enough data yet. If it were me I wouldn't worry about that engine even if it's rated lower. I think the better tran might make it worth it. You can always get an aftermarket fix later to put more power but I doubt it needs it. My opinion only.

Good luck! Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
JWmAustin

OOPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
We've had the 2013 engine in our 31 ft class C with no problem and the 2014 engine in our 37 ft class A which works fine as well. 8 MPG in the C and 6 MPG in the A but the A is noisy. Enough power in both but I understand they've taken the power down in the 2016. Same engine just less power. As I understand it the lower power was to allow for more an added gear in the transmission. We have a friend with one like that but not enough data yet. If it were me I wouldn't worry about that engine even if it's rated lower. I think the better tran might make it worth it. You can always get an aftermarket fix later to put more power but I doubt it needs it. My opinion only.

Good luck! Bill
My bad sorry. I was referring to our V10 Triton and missed you said V8. For the smaller 25 foot I'd imagine it's ok but I don't have experience. Sorry.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylu View Post

Have just learned that the 2016 Minnie Winnie 25B now comes standard with a Triton V8 Engine 5.4 L. Am in the midst of closing a deal to replace a 2015 Minnie Winnie 25B that was totaled. We expected to have a V10 engine but Winnebago has changed offerings for 2016. Have concerns about this smaller engine having to power the same "box" not to mention a tow car.

Does anyone have this new V8 engine in a Minnie 22 or 25? Please comment on the performance. We have to make a decision on this deal Monday or Tuesday. All info very much appreciated!!
The Ford E series web site has specs out for 2017 VIN E350 and E450 chassis and all still use the 6.8 L V-10 engine and there is no option for a V-8 engine model.

The winnebagoind.com web site still states that all 2016 Minnie Winnie models use the 6.8 L V-10 engine and E-450 chassis, this combo of E-450 chassis, 6 speed transmission, and engine is rated at 305 Horsepower.

Unless there is a major re-design of some Minnie Winnies for 2017 to use a different chassis then all will continue to use the E450 chassis and the V-10. This makes sense to me as this is the cheapest chassis available for Winnebago to build on and the Minnie Winnie is the most value priced Winnebago RV line available.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The Ford E series web site has specs out for 2017 VIN E350 and E450 chassis and all still use the 6.8 L V-10 engine and there is no option for a V-8 engine model.

The winnebagoind.com web site still states that all 2016 Minnie Winnie models use the 6.8 L V-10 engine and E-450 chassis, this combo of E-450 chassis, 6 speed transmission, and engine is rated at 305 Horsepower.

Unless there is a major re-design of some Minnie Winnies for 2017 to use a different chassis then all will continue to use the E450 chassis and the V-10. This makes sense to me as this is the cheapest chassis available for Winnebago to build on and the Minnie Winnie is the most value priced Winnebago RV line available.
For 2016 models: the Minnie Winnie 22 and 25B are standard with 350 engine but only the V8. You can opt to order a 25B built on E450 engine in order to get the V10. Their 27 and 31 models continue to use the 450.

Reason for disappointment is that we've previously had the 25B with the V10 engine. Really hoping the change by Winnebago was not done just to save cost! Yes, it is the most value priced line. Thanks for your reply!
We will be making a lot of phone calls in order to make a decision on our replacemt Winnebago!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I've had lots of experience with the 5.4 Ford engine but never in a 14000 lb
anything , it's a pickup engine , I would not under any circumstance own a motorhome with that engine .I promise you it will be overworked ! Any manufacture that would put it in a motorhome has egg shells for brains .
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
I've had lots of experience with the 5.4 Ford engine but never in a 14000 lb
anything , it's a pickup engine , I would not under any circumstance own a motorhome with that engine .I promise you it will be overworked ! Any manufacture that would put it in a motorhome has egg shells for brains .
Yep, seems like a very crazy move by Winnebago. After more research this morning, have learned that all 2017 Minnie Winnies are using the 450 chassis with V10. That includes even the smallest 22' model! So the 2016s with V8s are purely "experimental." Do we really want one like that? NO!

**Info from dealership 1 mile from Winnebago, Inc in Iowa!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Knowing how Winnebago likes to press chassis limits I would opt for the larger 10. Had it in our 29' Minnie. Was hot and loud but did O.K. pulling '94 Cherokee. Wouldn't have wanted any less. See the Mercedes is becoming popular.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, chassis, engine