Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

unknown sound

We have a 2019 1700BH with a "soft continuous air leak sound" coming from the upper bunk charging jack and possibly light next to it...when my wife turned on the light she said the pitch was higher. (I wear hearing aids and don't hear anything, especially if it involves house work...just sayin')
The gas is off. The electricity was unplugged during the track down test (so it was only using battery power at that time). Water was unhooked and pressure released from the system days ago. All vents and window are close. The refrigerator is off as is the radio.
There is a very minor breeze if anything blowing outside.
I suspect it's the light.
Comments?
Elk River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Touchy question but does the wife pick up the difference in an air sound versus an electrical "fry" sound? Is the light LED by chance? I have seen some which get something wrong in the electronics and begin to fry. I can't hear it but the wife does! I tend to not hear a lot of things, too!
Might look at how hard or easy to disconnect one or both to sort it out?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I was goign to ask about LED lights too. I had some that were affecting the OTA antenna (we couldn't hear it) where the light on would cancel OTA reception. The reception would come back when off. I wonder if in your case you can hear it "buzzing".

An easy test would be to swap with a light somewhere else to see if it is still there.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A 12 volt fluorescent light has a small high frequency inverter in it to create the higher voltage AC the tube needs from 12 VDC. I can sometimes hear those.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I might suggest trying a few tests on the idea it is an electrical issue. Can you locate a fuse that powers one or both of these, pull it and see if the noise is gone? Type of light and type/powering of the "charging jack" can change things but both can come with some weird side effects. Straight 12VDC has the advantage of being more quiet than AC but still can have funny things.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all who are giving me advice. Due to prior commitments I won’t be able to look at it until Saturday. I will read this post again before heading to the trailer.
Elk River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Unknown sound

I’ve known GFI receptacles to buzz or hum when feeding from an inverter.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote