Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Unglued Engine Hood

Add us to the list of Winnie owners who are coming unglued.

Got a "check engine" high coolant temp warning yesterday (That's a whole other story!) so we decided to check the coolant level this morning. We unlatched the engine hood and checked the coolant level. (It was fine.) When we went to close the hatch, the metal separated from the fiberglass and fell to the ground (putting a nice scratch in a vent on the way down). We were surprised to see that all that had held it up was several spots of glue. It apparently just popped off.

Called Winnebago. They were no help, really, but did assure us that we could run without the metal part. The technician asked if the metal was painted. It is. He then added that the dealer should ground it down to bare metal. Then WHY, WHY, WHY is it painted in the first place?

Winnebago suggested we take it to a local dealer, but we're saving it for our scheduled trip to Forest City next month. We're still under warranty, so we're adding this item to our list.

I did a search on this forum and learned that this is a common problem. We'll have them check our genny hood, too!

With a couple thousand miles to go between now and then, we're looking for ideas on how to keep the fiberglass part of the engine hood from flopping. It is actually bolted at the hinges. So, it should stay on. We just want to keep it from swinging open and closed. (The latches are on the metal part, which is now stored in the basement.)

All things considered, we're thankful this thing fell apart while we were camped. We'd hate to think what kind of mess it could have made had it happened on the road.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

Mary and Paul
Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Would some bungee cords do anything to help you out??
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had to repair my engine cover as well. Thought I might fall through when steping on it to get to the drivers seat, cheap as in low quality and low cost for the builders. Winne is OK at best when things are under warranty once the warranty is over watch out you are on your own.
I had no idea how many things would need my attention after we pucrhased a new RIG.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem on my Journey. Epoxy and clamps to put it back together, then two sheet metal screws with washers installed on the bottom.

Maybe for a temp repair, some plastic zip ties?

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I travel a lot with my brother in law in his 2002 Journey. His front generator cover fell off in Montana and we repaired it on the side of the road. I had some 3M industrial double sided tape and we re-installed the cover with tape. That was 7 years ago and it is still hanging on.

His rear engine cover fell off and Winnebago re-glued it at the factory. A year later it fell off again and a Winnebago dealer re-glued it. When it fell off the third time we decided to fix it ourselves. We used scrapers and grinders to remove all the glue and put it back together with expoxy and clamps until it cured. We drilled holes and installed the hinges with stainless steel screws and it is now much better than new.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar problem with our 2004 Itasca 33V when we bought it. We got it reglued and it has lasted. I investigated it thoroughly and found a thread on it. Several folks had fixed it by drilling holes in the front cap and using stainless bolts to hold in the hinge bracket. They had photos and it did not look bad at all. The bolts were SS and very symmetrical. Looked like it was done at the factory. If mine every falls off again, that is what I am going to do.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The lower portion of the rear cap and the generator hood on my 2002 journey was glued on with Gorilla glue. Most of the original factory, all the dealer repaired and all the factory repaired re-glue work failed. I tried Gorilla glue and it worked great.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The hood is definately an issue here, but I would be more concerned with the "check engine Light" "High coolant Temp". Checking the coolant level when cold does not confirm the coolant did not overtemp. If it was a "low coolant level" warning, it may not appear when cold either.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
The hood is definately an issue here, but I would be more concerned with the "check engine Light" "High coolant Temp". Checking the coolant level when cold does not confirm the coolant did not overtemp. If it was a "low coolant level" warning, it may not appear when cold either.
That's a whole other story

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

stainless steel bolts forget the glue and two hood fanstners from summit racing
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

3M 5200 has held mine, both engine and gen hoods for over 2,000 miles now.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestions. It's very interesting to see how others have dealt with coming unglued. And, it's too bad it's such a common problem.

For now, we're letting the fiberglass piece hang as is. (The hinges are bolted.) We keep an eye on it in the camera and it's staying pretty still. Looks weird, though, and has elicited a honk and "pull over" wave from one passing motorist. We'll be glad to get back to Forest City in a few weeks and get everything back together.

On the whole other story - the high coolant temp/check engine issue - we had Freightliner look at it here in Gaffney and they replaced the fan clutch. So, hopefully, we're good to go there, too.

Safe travels.
Mary and Paul
Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Same problem with 05 Journey. Went to local marine store and bought the 3M 4200. The fix was easy, just lay down a big bead of the adhesive with a caulk gun and clamp, cure overnight. The 4200 cures a little faster than the 5200 version.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi Boris & Natasha. I had an issue with our hood also (2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N).
If interested in my solution see photos at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie - Hood Bracket ... . Other projects there also.

Good Luck with your solution choice.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have had to repair just about all of the panels, even the fog lamps as one fell out as I was washing it. Got fed up and bolted those on. My last repair was the head lights as they also came loose. None of this makes sense to me, no more excuses allowed in my book. After spending nearly $250,000 on an RV that has these problems (and continuing) is absolutely criminal. I truly believe it's time for the DOT to step in. When head lights come loose it's time.
I've been a loyal supporter of Winnebago for many years but now I'm sick and tired of making excuses for them. My expensive fiberglass roof is even secured with Eternabond.
I've thought about leaving all of the parts that fall off, off. Winnebago tells me they're not structural anyway, including the front and rear caps, so no warranty. How many RV's would they sell?
However, I do love my floor plan.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mary & Paul,

Did the new fan clutch fix your overheating problem?

thanks
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H, suzuki toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Unglued

Our rear Engine cover just fell off on our 2008 Itasca Elipse. Sure is amazing how Winnebago has not had a problem with their so-called adhesive... only when someone has hit something (ya right). Our unit has just over 20,000 miles and is in mint condition. What really scares the stuffing out of me is that the same adhesive is used to attach other major parts of the unit. Are we going to be driving down the road one day and lose another large panel somewhere? How does a mfg of this size get away with this? Does it have to happen where a major accident is caused and someone gets badly hurt or killed and a class action is started?
Elipse2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I agree with you on the potential of a serious road hazard. If this was a typical automobile or truck the DOT would have jumped on this right away.
I love my Winnebago but it's a continual concern. What will fall off next? Have I repaired those panels well enough?
Supposedly 2004 was was the problem, apparently that's not the case.
I guess we can only hope things stay where they belong.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Zimm View Post
I have had to repair just about all of the panels, even the fog lamps as one fell out as I was washing it. Got fed up and bolted those on. My last repair was the head lights as they also came loose. None of this makes sense to me, no more excuses allowed in my book. After spending nearly $250,000 on an RV that has these problems (and continuing) is absolutely criminal. I truly believe it's time for the DOT to step in. When head lights come loose it's time.
I've been a loyal supporter of Winnebago for many years but now I'm sick and tired of making excuses for them. My expensive fiberglass roof is even secured with Eternabond.
I've thought about leaving all of the parts that fall off, off. Winnebago tells me they're not structural anyway, including the front and rear caps, so no warranty. How many RV's would they sell?
However, I do love my floor plan.
My same problems, verse and song, with a 2004 Meridian. After re-gluing both front and rear hoods during the 8 years I've owned it one of my headlights broke loose on our last trip. Had to tie it in place with a small rope for the rest of the trip to keep from losing it completely. Can't even imagine what the cost of a new headlight assembly would be if it's even available. Thankfully I didn't do any nighttime traveling during that 6 weeks.

Thankfully all problems were discovered while parked, but as stated above, I dread the thought of losing a panel or such while driving down the road.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

A friendly motorist beeped and I pulled over to hear her tell me one of my bin doors had come open and almost got caught by a bridge railing. Upon inspection, I discovered the passenger front fender (2007 Voyage) had come unglued and was waving in the breeze. Bought some J&B weld and have had no further problems. This was in 2011 with 19K miles. Not a good testimony for quality control.

Still like the W/I brand and the fine folks that show up every day to make 'em.

Phil