Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Uncomfortable seats

2002 sightseer , driver and copilot seats become so uncomfortable after a couple of hours .
Has anyone come up with a reasonably priced replacement or upgrade ??
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Anybody have experience of the memory foam type seats
Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No recommendation other then try changing the positions of the seats. Was this your first outing in it?

I have driven our Adventured as much as 850 miles in one day and I personally find the seats very good.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

jimmy,
Well Sir, not sure just what to tell you. Ours in our '04 Itasca Horizon seem to be pretty plush and comfortable, even after sustained long distances which, I try not to do. But, if I had any suggestions, before spending any large coin on changing seats, try and get some of those "beads" or, a large foam pad or, seat liners of some sort. There are seat manufacturers out there that have alternate seats for you but, I can't think of them at this point. Just an idea.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Think our 02 sightseer has the budget model seats , we have a couple of 3000 mile round trips under our belts , it's just around the 1-2 hour mark we both get numb butt / sore back syndrome . The only adjustment is the back rake angle ,
We have decided its either better quality DP with better seats or top quality seats ( waste of money if we trade up)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Rkh

Hey Jimmy, my 1998 Chieftain seat gives me the same pains as yours. I know this sounds hokey, but I have the square foam block used in the roof vent to block light and heat..I put that on my seat and it was like having a new chair! So I bought another just for that purpose...
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that tip , I was thinking about memory foam pad
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Our old '97 Adventurer had the most comfortable seats ever. The Ultraleather seats on my current '02 Journey start to give me a 'pain in the butt' after about 2 hours. My wife has a tempurpedic memory foam cushion that she uses in the car. I tried it and it sure does help.

Our seats are really showing their age so we plan to either replace them or have them rebuilt/recovered soon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have looked online for replacement seats , most are $1100 to $1600 , I hadn't considered a rebuild using memory foam etc .
Any ideas on cost
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Take the seats to a good upholsterer. They will be able to rebuild your seats with quality foam and can create better lumbar support. Talk with them, you might even want to upgrade the covering.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had both driver and passenger seats refoamed. The result was remarkable. You can expect to pay $150 to $300 per seat for refoaming.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Should have stated that the cost per seat is $500 - $600 . I like the idea of refoaming , need to start looking for an upholstery shop
Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I didn't think my seats were comfortable enough either. My wife made a temporary seatcover out of two large beach towels that she put together with a pocket that lips over the top of the seat back. The double thickness of the terry cloth helped with the seats being hot and cushioned the seat somewhat. I boaght a memory foam seatcover for a wooden chair that helped the bottom cushion a lot. Then I bought a memory foam bath mat that I cut down so that I could fold about 6" back to double the thickness for the small of my back and that left about 18-20" to cushion my upper back. These are placed under the beach towel which holds them in place nicely. It gave me the chance to try these solutions. I have added cushion to auto seats before and might do something like that now that I know the temporary cushions help.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I drove transit buses for a few years. They were equipped with Recaro commercial vehicle seats which were on vertical shock mounts. They had vertical, fore/aft and rake adjustments and fairly short cushions. They were cloth-covered and though the cushions were quite hard, they were comfortable for 8 hours of driving.

Sure wish I had a pair of those in the MH instead of the crummy Flexsteel things. The MH seats are too long in the cushion for both of us, too high off the floor for DW and not vertically adjustable. They also have vinyl upholstery fabric, which gets much too hot in the summer.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I honestly believe that Winnebago has a torture chamber (with assorted MH chairs) in their plant. The one that makes you scream first and loudest, well thats the model that goes into the MHs.

Yet, everything else is just great.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Our '97 Type B MH with Ford seats was terrible. Had a local shop replace them with Flexsteel ones. They did give us $30 trade in for the two old seats.

I think every MH we've had since has had Flexsteel seats.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The seats in our Winnie are very comfy, now if I could just get them to go back a few more inches with the slide in......
.... But being a "too-tall American" it's the price I have to pay.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
I honestly believe that Winnebago has a torture chamber (with assorted MH chairs) in their plant. The one that makes you scream first and loudest, well thats the model that goes into the MHs.

Yet, everything else is just great.
My Adventurer has very comfortable seats and for this we are grateful.

For those of you with lower lumbar and tush anomalies I would check out these inflatable seat cushions and covers.

Inflatable travel seat cushion - TheFind

Car Seat Covers Inflatable Seat Cushion,Buy Quality Car Seat Covers Inflatable Seat Cushion from Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Anybody try discount Rv furniture, just looking at their captain chairs
Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Ultra leather or cloth anybody have advice , looking at new seats