Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ultraguard mudflaps

Hello All,
I have a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38J. I want to install a full width ultra guard mud flap about 4 feet behind the tires. Does anyone know what width I need for this motorhome and do I need to buy the angle iron for installation or is there a place to mount it underneath? Your answers will save me from having to crawl under this MH. Thanks..Charlie
cnjcampione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

All of mine have mounted by eye bolts through the frame with chain links to the flap with a spring clip for quick removal.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

For a class A it should be the wider of the two (20").

I installed one last spring on my class C and took the 16" wide Ultra Guard. To install I did use the angle iron and secured this about 5 feet in from the back bumper. I attached the angle iron directly to the frame of the coach by drilling 1 hole through each arm of the frame and used self tapping bolts.

I traded the class C for a Class A in the fall. On my class A the Ultra Guard is attached right at the back bumper and its welded to the frame, again the angle iron was used.

The Ultra Guard on the A was installed by Camping World, since they weld I think the install price was almost double the cost of the actual ultra guard. Our new unit was used, so it came installed!
srusso1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't pay $10 to replace my full with "mud guard" if something happened to it. Mine is installed maybe 24" from the rear on chain links which help it to hinge/move to avoid being damaged in dips, etc.

When you install one, make sure that it clears the ground by at least 6-8 inches when the MH is at normal ride height. It it is too low it will sweep debris, etc up off the roadway and cause much more damage to your toad and other vehicles behind than it will ever prevent.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

We have a Pusher I took the full Parachute Off and put one behind each wheel; The full one would go down at a dip and hit the gravel and throw up rochs that raised hell on the car; so rather then a braw, I changed the flap and no more Rock chips, The car is cleaner,, and about 2 miles per gallon increase;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
We have a Pusher I took the full Parachute Off and put one behind each wheel; The full one would go down at a dip and hit the gravel and throw up rochs that raised hell on the car; so rather then a braw, I changed the flap and no more Rock chips, The car is cleaner,, and about 2 miles per gallon increase;;
I've heard this from many campers and have no desire to add this to our regular mud flaps. We pull an unprotected GT Mustang Convertible behind our motorhome. In the 14,000 miles we've thus far pulled we've yet to have a problem.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the Ultra on my DP MH. It was put on under the tow hitch cross bar using the angle Iron. It only comes in one width but does come in 2 different heights.

I put the shorter one on and now need to put my rear jacks down some before dumping the air bags or it will bend the end angle Iron brace some.

It has helped keep the rear of the MH so much cleaner and also the cargo trailer or HHR I pull. No rock chips has showed up yet. Maybe the road dips and gravel throwing are more a problem with the long overhang units. Or using mud flaps that are mounted too close to the ground. I have had No problem with mine.

There was no change from before install and after with my MPG. It still gets the same 10 plus MPH.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjcampione View Post
Hello All,
I have a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38J. I want to install a full width ultra guard mud flap about 4 feet behind the tires. Does anyone know what width I need for this motorhome and do I need to buy the angle iron for installation or is there a place to mount it underneath? Your answers will save me from having to crawl under this MH. Thanks..Charlie
As mentioned for a class A you'll need the 20" model. We had to cut about 3" off the bottom of ours to get proper ground clearance. As for mounting you'll need a piece of angle iron for the back of the flap. You can either buy it from UltraGuard of pick it up at your local home improvement store.

Ours is mounted similar to what bullheaded described except there is an I bolt in each frame rail and one in each side of the angle iron at the same spacing. The I bolts are connected by a 3/8" chain "Quick Link" . I think part of the reason there seems to be such difference in satisfaction as to how the guard works is the amount of body overhang behind the rear wheels. The longer the overhang the more the rear end dips as the rear wheels climb an incline, come down off a bump, or pull up out of a low spot.

We mounted ours under the trailer hitch cutting out a relief for the hitch and the generator exhaust. It can easily be removed if you need access to the spare tire. Before it was installed the back of the coach and the Jeep were covered with crud. Most of the time you had to wash the Jeep windshield before you could see to drive it. We still get some dirt on the coach and Jeep but it's 90% better than before the installation.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I agree with everything that's been said here. I'll just add this. Our coach came with the big mud flap on the back. When we first began to tow our vehicle, within the first 1000 miles, we had damaged the tow vehicle very badly.

I finally realized that the big mud flap was the culprit. It did not have enough clearance above the ground. I cut 4 inches off the bottom, and we have had no more problem.

I'm thinking of cutting another 2 inches off, or removing the thing entirely to find out what that's like. I'm not convinced that this mudflap is a good thing.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

How many inches from the ground should the bottom of the mud flap be?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
How many inches from the ground should the bottom of the mud flap be?
UltraGuard says a minimum of 4" of ground clearance with a fully loaded coach. Ours is slightly over 4" and has done a good job of protecting the toad and keeping the back of the motorhome clean.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I recently added the Ultraguard to our Itasca Suncruser 35P. I purchased a couple pieces of angle from Home Depot, one for the front side and one for the back side. I did not need the chains, I bolted it directly to the frame behind the rear tires. It's about 4" off the ground, no trimming was required.

Something to note here, most pushers have the flap mounted right at the rear bumper which does cause a problem with dragging in certain circumstances. Mine is mounted close enough to the rear tires that it does not drag and has plenty of clearance so it will not get stuck under the reat tires if I back up against an incline.

Get the widest width and longest length they offer, it should fit perfectly when bolted directly to the frame.
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote