Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #61
Winnebago Watcher

Good to hear that your being taken care of. I'm still suspicious that the fan was not installed correctly. Any GM fan I mounted has a hub which fits over a machined end of the water pump. If the fan hub is not seated correctly, and the bolts are tightened, the fan would effectively be off center and stress the shaft. Or when run the fan hub would drop into correct orientation, leaving the bolts loose. Either way the fan would fail. We'll never know the answer but I'm still suspicious. A new water pump shaft should not fail.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

I know what you are saying about the water pump installation. I have worked on small block Chevy's for 50 years.

I would hope that an authorized Workhorse Repair Center would know how to properly install a water pump. I talked to the Workhorse Rep again today and he told me the shop is supposed to do a thorough road test before they return the Coach to me. The mileage on the other documented shaft failure was at 8500 miles. I don't think improper installation would account for that one.

The repair facility has all of the parts so hopefully it will be ready to go by Tuesday.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #63
Winnie-Wise

The service center called and said we are good to go. They test drove it last night and again this morning. We are on our way back to Reno to resume our trip. We have lost 2 weeks but we will at least get to visit most of our planned stops. Will keep you all posted when we have WiFi service.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #64
Winnebago Camper

It should have been evident to the designer that thrust forces imposed on the bearing would be many times greater when the fan pitch was reversed to make it a pusher fan.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #65
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TandW:
It should have been evident to the designer that thrust forces imposed on the bearing would be many times greater when the fan pitch was reversed to make it a pusher fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chief, Don't forget the efficiency of the cool pack allows the fan to free wheel most of the time as it is most often de-clutched imposing little or no load on the bearing. I think we're dealing with a few bad water pumps and not a design failure.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #66
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TandW:
It should have been evident to the designer that thrust forces imposed on the bearing would be many times greater when the fan pitch was reversed to make it a pusher fan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chief, Don't forget the efficiency of the cool pack allows the fan to free wheel most of the time as it is most often de-clutched imposing little or no load on the bearing. I think we're dealing with a few bad water pumps and not a design failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the traditional front engine configuration the fan is pulling air toward the engine and the fan hub away from it while in the UFO I would believe that the fan is pushing air away from the engine and therefore would be pushing the water pump bearing back into place not out.

The bearing should be press fit under one or two tons of force so the fan pull should have little effect on the bearing so this was probably an miss-match of bearing size to bore diameter (a loose fit) or a bad batch of bearings seizing up to break the pump shaft or spin the bearing out of the bore. Being that some of the pump shafts have been shearing I would lean towards a bad batch of bearings. It could have been something as simple as the grease resevoire on the assembly line ran dry and a bunch of bearings went out with little or no lube in them. Then again it could have been compounded by Joe Gorilla setting the fan belts too tight also.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #67
Winnebago Camper

told ya Mike, and you said no way. well it looks like it's WAY.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #68
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
told ya Mike, and you said no way. well it looks like it's WAY. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The only way you know is the Corrigan way! What do you know about ways! - Fuggetaboutit!

How'd ya make out with the prints?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
We have lost 2 weeks but we will at least get to visit most of our planned stops. Will keep you all posted when we have WiFi service. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good luck. Keep us posted.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #70
Winnie-Wise

We made it 307 miles today with no problems. I believe I was unfortunate to receive 2 bad pumps. Workhorse has gone above and beyond in getting us back on the road. More news later as we continue our journey.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #71
Winnebago Camper

Thats great news WTHOMAS1, safe and happy motoring

PRINTS: so far.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #72
Winnie-Wise

Wayne, first of all I would like to say that I admire someone like you who has the patience to have your vacation interupted for two weeks with a mechanical failure and still come out without bashing the coach or chassis manufacture like so many others would. I know the feeling of being stranded for a few days here and there as I have been motorhoming since the early 70's. We also have something in common, I just recently sold my 1962 Vette after buying it in 1994 and restoring it for two years. I decided to invest the Vette money into my new 2006 Journey. I haven't had any major breakdowns yet but I hope if I do , I will be able to maintain the patience that you have shown. Good luck on the rest of your trip.

Steve
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #73
Winnie-Wise

Well said, Steve. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Wayne's attitude is understandable. Check out part of his signature -
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.'"
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #74
Winnie-Wise

It took me a while but I have learned that when something goes wrong and I yell and scream, the only one who's blood pressure goes up is mine. The person on the receiving end is usually unfazed. I believe the Workhorse Rep did all in his power to get us back on the road as soon as possible. He has followed up with phone calls to see how things are going. Can't ask for better service in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Workhorse product.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #75
Winnie-Wise

Steve "Sammie"
I have 3 grandsons waiting for the Vette, I don't dare sell it.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #76
Winnebago Watcher

Pardon my ignorance but....I'm new to this board and this thread caught my eye because of the title of it. "UFO breakdown."

Not being familiar with what is meant by the term UFO, I read every post in the thread for a clue. All I can determine is that it means a rear gas engine chassis, but what in tarnation do the letters UFO stand for in this case? I'll probably kick myself for not thinking of it when you tell me.

Thanks, Jim
jim1532001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #77
Winnebago Master

Welcome jim to irv2. Click on this LINK and it should help you out.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #78
Winnebago Master

Jim;

Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Forum. Post often and let us know about your travel adventures. I would like to encourage you to post a message in the New Member Check In and post something about you and your rig. You will likely have more welcome response there.

If you would like some Winnebago Karma please ask for it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #79
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but what in tarnation do the letters UFO stand for in this case? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> To answer your question:

When the UFO was introduced those letters were advertised to mean: Universal Fuel Options and
Universal Floorplan Options.

The chassis is designed with ALL components below floor level, allowing Coach builders to design any FP layout they want, without need for a raised engine cover front or back. The Fuel option, gas or diesel, has not yet materialized, as the gas 8.1 L V-8 is the only engine currently being used. ED
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #80
Winnie-Wise

Well here we are in Clearwater, BC, 2000 miles since the breakdown. No further water pump problems. Had to have the chassis battery replaced in Idaho Falls, ID, it should have been taken care of in Reno. Had a flat on the toad in Cochrane, AB, luckily we found it while hooking up the tow bar and not while traveling. I am investing in a tire pressure monitoring system as soon as we return home!

Canada is a beautiful country with more wild life and water than we have ever seen. The grandson is having a ball!