Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
Gramps-C.W. sells foam inserts for the skylights. You can leave them in to conserve heat or cold. They also keep the light out of course. I have them in my MH, they don't need much space to put away.

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you able to get your wife to take it out of the nice clean plastic wrapper? Mine work well except that they don't grab that well with the plastic on, however they will stay clean longer if left wrapped.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wthomas1:
Avalondanes

I thought the same thing but one of the techs thought the fan blade was "neutral" as it didn't push or pull air. That didn't sound correct to me, but he said they have replaced the water pump on a few of the 8.1 Vortec motors in pick up trucks.

You might ask that tech just what the purpose of the fan is if its just neutral. As long as the blades have a pitch, it is not neutral.
It either pushes or pulls air thru radiator.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne,
I do not think the tech is correct. All fans have a pitch to the blades, to push or pull air. If it did not need to do one or the other it would have no fan. The 4.3 Vortec engine in current Hyster products have no fan on the water pump. The fan is on the other side of the cool pack unit.
A "neutral" fan has no blades...LOL

Gramps,
Thanks, but the HR is not the floor plan I want.
Like I said...close...but no.

Richard
Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

As I said, it didn't make any sense to me.

We were dealing with emptying the RV of what we needed and removing the food that we thought would not last in the heat. The RV in is an enclosed building without AC and it was in the 90's when we were there. No telling what the temp goes up to inside.

I hope I misunderstood what he was saying.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Maybe this is why workhorse radiators are in short supply. My local wh rep had to repair my radiator because wh was out of radiators. this was about 2 months ago. Jim W.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You might ask that tech just what the purpose of the fan is if its just neutral. As long as the blades have a pitch, it is not neutral. Big Grin
It either pushes or pulls air thru radiator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope I don't need service where this tech works!
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

As I previously said, I hope I misunderstood what he was saying. I would think the fan would be designed to pull air thru the radiator, especially on the rear engine where you don't get normal air flow. It wouldn't make much sense to me to move hot air from the engine compartment thru the radiator.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

years ago they tried a gas pusher and it didnt work. This air flow problem is the exact reason Im not sure about the ufo. I like the Idea but I dont think its going to work.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
It wouldn't make much sense to me to move hot air from the engine compartment thru the radiator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>wthomas1, The air is always moving back there and the heat off the engine is not significant enough to make any difference to the temperature of the coolant.

This was extensively tested in Death Vally for and extended period of time using scientific method via several dozen computer monitored thermocouples attached to many locations on all the drivetrain hardware in the engine compartment.

Let there be no doubt that the air flow that is being directed out of the back of the motorhome is yielding the desired results.

This machine is a generation removed from the previous rear engine gas machine which never actually worked. The basic problem with the previous rear gas motorhome were the technologies that were used which could not provide a reliable operating environment for the vehicle. There were many shortfalls in technology which detracted from the promise of a rear engine gas powered motorhome. The prevalent issues were mostly in regards to the "then" automotive hardware that couldn't deliver the desired performance.

The Workhorse UFO is the state of the art in gas powered motorhome chassis today and for the foreseeable future. Nothing else even comes close.

It is regrettable that the water pump failed and then to have it fail again and then take out the radiator with a brand new pump raises concern in my opinion as to process and how the vehicle was serviced. Having a 5 year 100,000 warranty on these components one would expect to see a quick resolution to this issue if it exists as a systemic problem.

There hasn't been a vehicle that I have seen that was obsolesced by a failed water pump and I hope that this issue is resolved quickly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

In 6800 miles I never had an over heating problem so no doubt the overall design works. For the bearing to pull out of the water pump housing there must be a problem with the water pump itself. I have no doubt that Workhorse will correct the problem. I still love my UFO!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
Having a 5 year 100,000 warranty on these components one would expect to see a quick resolution to this issue if it exists as a systemic problem.

Is the entire WH chassis covered with the 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty?
If it's the same waterpump as the front engines, with reversed pitch blades , it would definitly put stress on the opposite side of the bearing. And it would'nt have 60 MPH wind blowing into it.
The rear engine gas does sound like it could be nice and quiet but it needs to be tried and proven before I would buy one. With the very few sales (relatively speaking, especially as compared to other vehicles), this process could take a very long time, Even for WH to find the problem areas. IMO of course.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is regrettable that the water pump failed and then to have it fail again and then take out the radiator with a brand new pump raises concern in my opinion as to process and how the vehicle was serviced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DriVer
I'm not sure what you meant here. I had the Coach serviced at 3000 and 6000 miles at an authorized Workhorse repair facility. The water pump was also replaced at an authorized Workhorse facility. Do you think the second pump was replaced incorrectly? The bearing pulled out of both pumps, the first one froze before it came completely out.

I agree the UFO design is second to none in my limited experience. I just want it fixed with some assurance that it won't fail again in the same way. I am in no way bashing Workhorse. Workhorse has taken care of us so far and I firmly believe they will continue to do so.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max49:If it's the same waterpump as the front engines, with reversed pitch blades , it would definitly put stress on the opposite side of the bearing. And it would'nt have 60 MPH wind blowing into it.

Good point Max, thats exactly my way of thinking on this issue also. Too bad Workhorse didn't put a few thousand more miles on the Death Valley rig to test out the waterpump integrity. 6800 miles is not a lot of mileage on a rig to go thru two waterpumps, with the same problem, bearing failure.

Dieselclacker

Dieselclacker
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Can't air can l be funneled from under the coach past the fans and through the radiator? I thought that was the case with the UFO.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #35
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Is the entire WH chassis covered with the 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>max, Workhorse offers a limited powertrain warranty for 5 years and 100,000 miles. All other systems are warrantied for 3 years or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper. The Allison Transmission is warrantied for 5 years and 200,000 miles.

The reverse pitch concept was factored into the engineering. I think we're just seeing a bad water pump. I haven't heard of any other cases at the moment.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
... 6800 miles is not a lot of mileage on a rig to go thru two waterpumps, with the same problem, bearing failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>dieselclacker, We can conjecture the heck out of this thing however we haven't been presented any hard facts that that is in-fact what happened. There is nothing at the moment that fails all UFO motorhomes regarding water pumps. Recently the toilet failed on the ISS and they had 2 spare pump motors. Both failed. I think they worked through their toilet issue by getting a 3rd pump.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #37
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Gramps-:
Can't air can l be funneled from under the coach past the fans and through the radiator? I thought that was the case with the UFO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>-Gramps-, The way you are thinking about how air is directed to the cool pack on the UFO is exactly the way you understand it to be.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
...I think we're just seeing a bad water pump. I haven't heard of any other cases at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the second post I've read involving a failure of the water pump in a UFO based coach. The other was a HR Vacationer 38PLT which also took out the radiator. Could be bad water pumps? Can't think of any particular issues unique to the UFO which would cause them to fail?

The original post on rv.net can be found here.

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.</span>
Explore America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 AM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I'm not sure what you meant here. I had the Coach serviced at 3000 and 6000 miles at an authorized Workhorse repair facility. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>wthomas1, Oops -- I wasn't referring to routine service but the actual repair itself. I was thinking about how quickly a water pump showed up and "maybe" it was a pump from a supply house they were able to obtain locally.

I just had a similar experience where my service center cross referenced locally available parts for WCC parts which immediately failed. Once the WCC parts were installed - all was well.

I'm not pointing fingers I was just thinking about the possibilities. It will be interesting when the RSM shows up on Tuesday. Please let us know how that works out.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Reverse blades in a water pump, now that is something you won't find at your local GM or auto parts store. What else is particular to the gas pusher?
Before I purchased my last M/H I called workhorse and ask about a gas pusher and they told me they had no plans to build one and I am sooooo glad. Thank you Father!