Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Type of Basement Air Filter

After reading the thread about filters for basement air, I have a couple of more filter questions.

Question 1: What do you use...the fiberglass filters or the pleated filters?

Question 2: There was a fiberglass filter installed when I purchased my used mh. I found it was dirty and did not have another filter so I just vacuumed the dirt off and it looked like new. Is there any reason that I should not continue doing that?
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Dont see why not use it again until you get some new ones., I use the pleated, and found I could buy them in a 3 pack at Home Depot..
Not every place carries that size. They are directional, so pay attention which way the arrow is pointing when installing.
I had some work done on my AC a little over a year ago, when it was pulled, the coils directly behind my filters were clean as a whistle.
I change mine out however and dont reuse them.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I think any is better than none, but we tend to camp a lot in a campground that has a lot of road dirt kickup. I'm not comfortable with the fiberglass filters handling that so I use the pleated type.

We've had no issues with our basement ac/heat pump, but I have read that when you do they are more difficult to get serviced (and replacement is another issue) so I figure it's a lot like an engine... use the best filters to keep it clean and running beats big maintenance/replacement down the road.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

With the fiberglass filters you will have to work harder to clean your coils from the dirt that passes through them and the coils once impacted will rot out much faster.

Paper filters replaced at regular intervals are the best way to go. A couple of dollars once or twice a month is pretty cheap insurance and will provide a better quality of air to breath in the coach.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use the 14"x20"x4" MERV8 filters. I use the pleated filter because I want to catch the bird down feathers before the air conditioner does. Their a pain to clean after they get into the unit and really catch any other dust in the air.

Their not cheap but they don't restrict any of the air flow just like the cheap 1" fiberglass filters. Better safe then sorry.

Accumulair Gold 14x20x4 (13.5 x 19.5 x 3.63) Accumulair Gold 4-Inc Merv 8 | www.filtersusa.com
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

basement air filter type

Thanks for input. I thought a pleated filter would be best as that is what I use in my home furnace/ac, however, I did read in one of these forums once that there was some concern about the pleated filter cutting down on the air flow making it hard to keep the coach cool during these hot summer days. I will be switching to the pleated filter and see if I can keep the coach cool.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
Thanks for input. I thought a pleated filter would be best as that is what I use in my home furnace/ac, however, I did read in one of these forums once that there was some concern about the pleated filter cutting down on the air flow making it hard to keep the coach cool during these hot summer days. I will be switching to the pleated filter and see if I can keep the coach cool.
Get the better ones and replace them more ofter. Cleaning badly matted coils is not fun.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use the cheapest "angel hair" type filters based on the advice of several people on on IRV2 and others with esperience on the basement air system. Several people that have reported poor cooling in hot weather have improved their cooling by reducing the restriction in the system. I change the filters monthly in the summer or in Florida in the winter.

I pulled my A/C unit last fall to clean it as my coach is 7 years old (56,000 miles) and we use the basement air with the generator on the road. It was not nearly as dirty as I expected it to be. Granted it was dirty, but I expected much worse. A friend and I did both ours at the same time and I did find that mine had more oily dirt and his was more dry or dusty dirt. He does not use his on the road so I attributed the condition of mine to road grime. At any rate, anything you can do to reduce resistance will improve cooling, especially when it's as hot as it is now.

Good luck,
Dave