Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tv signal

Do I need a new digital antenna on my 2001 35 u to receive a tv signal. My TVs are digital ready so I don’t think I need a converter box. I tried the original antenna in my driveway and I couldn’t get a signal. My 35 u is new to us so I’m trying to figure this out. Thanks , any help is appreciated.
Greg Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
glad you asked. this comes up not infrequently and it's worth repeating.

there is no such thing as a digital or HD antenna so don't fall for the scam. and indoor or back-of-the-set antennas will be virtually useless except in urban areas. don't waste your $. antennas are designed to receive certain frequencies and tge frequencies used to broadcast digital tv are the same that were used to broadcast analog tv.

so, no, you don't NEED a new antenna but depending on how old it is you may want to upgrade it. the new Winegard Sensar IV with the Wingman add-on is about the best you're gonna do. you can also add the Wingman to most existing Winegard batwing antennas. the Wingman enhances reception of UHF tv frequencies. many stations that previously broadcast on VHF frequencies (channels 2-13) moved to UHF frequencies when the switch to digital took place.

again, depending on the age of the antenna you might want to replace the short section of coax that runs from the antenna to the connector on the roof. coax does deteriorate from exposure to weather and the sun.

we had a 35U for 15-yrs. be sure you've turned on the TV amplifier, set the selector switch in the overhead cabinet to TV and then scan for channels.

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help I think I’ll update with the new cable in that sensor iv in the spring. Our motorhome is Tucked away for the winter in a metal barn I will still see if I can get a signal out there. Thanks again for your help Greg.
Greg Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Also note that allot of UHF stations are taking buyouts to move back to VHF, so the band isn’t dead yet. RK’s suggestion of the Batwing is still dead on. Don't fall for all this digital antenna hype.. Also be aware that the Jack antenna is a significantly poorer performer than a Batwing, especially on VHF. Yeah, its on a mast and people complain about that, but as any ham will tell you, there is no substitution for height.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just because you mentioned that the coach is new to you....is the antennae amplifier switch on? Most coaches have an antennae amplifier / cable switch. On my Journey if the amplifier is switched off, no reception of over the air channels. Also, if I connect to cable, the antennae amplifier has to be OFF. Just wondering........good luck.