Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a water leak and the water is dripping from the bottom of the cowling around the TV. I suspect that the leak is either from the windshield (I recently had the drivers side glass replaced) or from one of the items that were installed thru the roof(antennas, etc). I was attempting to remove the cowling and then perhaps slide the TV a bit out to locate the source of the leak. I removed the bottom 2 screws and the cowling did not come off. I have a feeling that the cowling has more attachments but cant see where they might be. There is no water in the component compartments on either side of the TV so I strongly suspect the roof mounted stuff. I have looked at the pictures of those replaceing thier TV's but did not see anything specific regarding the center mount in my 2000 Adventurer. I also searched the Winnebago site for a PDF file pertaining to removing the TV with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a water leak and the water is dripping from the bottom of the cowling around the TV. I suspect that the leak is either from the windshield (I recently had the drivers side glass replaced) or from one of the items that were installed thru the roof(antennas, etc). I was attempting to remove the cowling and then perhaps slide the TV a bit out to locate the source of the leak. I removed the bottom 2 screws and the cowling did not come off. I have a feeling that the cowling has more attachments but cant see where they might be. There is no water in the component compartments on either side of the TV so I strongly suspect the roof mounted stuff. I have looked at the pictures of those replaceing thier TV's but did not see anything specific regarding the center mount in my 2000 Adventurer. I also searched the Winnebago site for a PDF file pertaining to removing the TV with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Call winnie customer service and they can tell you right where the screws are located. From looking at mine it would be a two person job.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a meridian so may be different, But screws go in from the sides (1) inside each cabinet. also the under plastic is screwed to surround. 1st time I had mine out when I tried to remove the plastic bottom. Screws pulled out of wood suround. I enlarged the wood a bit so the screws go into holes to hold bottom but dont tighten, have had no problems with it moving plenty of other attaching hardware to hold it
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are 2 more screws holding the surround as cmaserv mentioned. They are inside of each of the side cabinets near the top. It takes a long phillips screwdriver and lots of torque to remove them.

Once the surround is off the TV is held in place by a clamping mechanism. As I recall you have to loosen a nut on either side with a 9/16 wrench, then loosen the double sided tape between the top clamp member and the top of the TV.

Be sure to unplug the TV and disconnect the wire to the cabin speakers before you try to remove it.

I believe the TV weighs around 35 lbs so it's a bit awkward to remove for one person. If you slide it forward and then get a person on either side it's fairly easy to remove.

We've been lucky so far as leaks are concerned , but have heard several people have found leaks around the front clearance/marker lights.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Those front marker lights are famous for not being caulked properly.
Do yourself a favor and check them before removing the TV. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replys. Before I start removing the TV I will check the marker lights. The middle 3 look to be in the right place for what I have experienced.

Thanks again and...whatta great forum

codgerbill
2000 Adventurer 35U
DW (43 yrs an counting)
07 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr toad
5 yr ole Choc Lab puppy-Buddy

"life is good"
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You almost have to remove the TV to recaulk the marker lights. When they do it at the factory they put some on from the back after they are installed. It seals the wires in place and makes it almost impossible to pull the lights out far enough to recaulk them. If you remove the caulk from the from the inside first the lights pull out easily.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
I have a water leak and the water is dripping from the bottom of the cowling around the TV. I suspect that the leak is either from the windshield (I recently had the drivers side glass replaced) or from one of the items that were installed thru the roof(antennas, etc). I was attempting to remove the cowling and then perhaps slide the TV a bit out to locate the source of the leak. I removed the bottom 2 screws and the cowling did not come off. I have a feeling that the cowling has more attachments but cant see where they might be. There is no water in the component compartments on either side of the TV so I strongly suspect the roof mounted stuff. I have looked at the pictures of those replaceing thier TV's but did not see anything specific regarding the center mount in my 2000 Adventurer. I also searched the Winnebago site for a PDF file pertaining to removing the TV with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a very similar leak after I had my In Motion Satelite system installed. The installer failed to caulk around one of the wires coming through the roof. They put the caulking on correctly and like magic the leak went away.

Good Luck,

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem and solved it by sealing around the windshield and marker lights.

Nick, Journey '01