Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Turning Gen off prior to hooking up to 50 amp power?

Anybody know for sure if when you have your gen running and you pull up to shore power ( and you are running your AC units on hot days) if you need to shut the gen off prior to hooking up to 50 amp shore power and turning on the AC units again?

I have heard a couple of loose opinions on the matter but I do not know if it is harmful to the electrical system if the generator is running when you hook up to shore power then turn the gen off after connecting to shore power.

My AC unit compressors seem to have a big lag time when I do,this.

One service manager from the dealership told me it was ok, one other guy says it is not ok.

I can't find info on this matter?

Thanks for any info out there.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

I have been given conflicting information on this subject as well so I do the following;

Turn off A/C
Turn off gen set
Plug in shore power
turn on A/C

I do not know if something will get damaged if I run the gen set while plugged into shore power but I do not want to take the chance. The little time that the a/c is off during the switch over makes little difference in the temp on the inside.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Turn off A/C
Turn off gen set
Plug in shore power
turn on A/C
This is how I was told to do it.

I do believe there is a 5 minute delay IF, you don't turn off the AC unit at the thermostat first.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I never like to have two power sources on at the same time. And that is a heck of a load for the transfer switch to have to shift.

I always shut down then start back. Temp won't raise that much unless you stop to have a beer when going out in the heat
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

With an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), the generator normally is the default power system, meaning when it is running the coach will use it rather than any connected shore power. ...And does work as such on my coach. SO ...I pull in w/genny running, lower jacks, extend slides, and hook up shore power. After the SurgeGuard checks and connects the shore power, I turn AC off. After 2-3 minutes for idling genny to cool down, I shut down the genny. After my ems control panel indicates it has shifted from generator to shore power (50/30), then I turn AC back on.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I never like to have two power sources on at the same time. And that is a heck of a load for the transfer switch to have to shift.

I always shut down then start back. Temp won't raise that much unless you stop to have a beer when going out in the heat

I agree with the statement "two power sources".....common sense would tell you to shut the gen down and plug in shore power.....not a big deal as far as time is concerned.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thats what i do also
Turn off A/C
Turn off gen set
Plug in shore power
turn on A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post

I do believe there is a 5 minute delay IF, you don't turn off the AC unit at the thermostat first.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Though there is not a problem with the transfer switch MAKING a circuit, if you BREAK a circuit UNDER LOAD there is one "Heck" of an inductive kick, this can cause a voltage spike that it truly amazing and this can weld the solenoids in the transfer switch causing them to malfunction.

Thus, recommendation is to SHUT OFF Air conditioners water heaters, space heaters and other big power suckers, THEN shut off the generator causing transfer to shore power while under minimum load, THEN plug in and re-start the stuff you turned off.

Option 2: Turn off MAIN circuit breaker,, Then generator, Then plug in, REstore breaker

It is WAY cheaper than a transfer switch, easier to replace too.

Regarding the DELAY on the air conditioner compressor.. Some do indeed have a safety delay.. I would not count on it till I'd read the fine manual and THEN confirmed it.. Which by the way, I did. on mine, and in that order.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Customer Service Tech says that the Automatic Transfer Switch will select the Generator over the Shore line when both are in use.
Personally, I always disconnect the Shore line before I start the generator.
Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I'm not an electrical wizzard and the consequences of something happening to the electrical system is possible. So, I like to err on the safe side.

I may never know if my switch works?????
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
With an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), the generator normally is the default power system, meaning when it is running the coach will use it rather than any connected shore power. ...And does work as such on my coach. SO ...I pull in w/genny running, lower jacks, extend slides, and hook up shore power. After the SurgeGuard checks and connects the shore power, I turn AC off. After 2-3 minutes for idling genny to cool down, I shut down the genny. After my ems control panel indicates it has shifted from generator to shore power (50/30), then I turn AC back on.
Ditto comments by AFChap -- this is the exact procedure that I was briefed on by our Winnebago service manager during our first trip to Forest City.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

OK, I know this may be redundant, but there was another thread saying their roof ac would shut off/on intermitintly while traveling with gen power. We are getting a roof ac since our basement ac has compressor problem. (working on getting solution to that problem) My question is, will the gen shut off/on running down the road?
familycircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycircus View Post
OK, I know this may be redundant, but there was another thread saying their roof ac would shut off/on intermitintly while traveling with gen power. We are getting a roof ac since our basement ac has compressor problem. (working on getting solution to that problem) My question is, will the gen shut off/on running down the road?
I don't see any reason for the roof air to shut off/on while running down the road unless you have a short/loose connection between your gennie and the air conditioner. By the way, I think adding a roof air is a great thing, but I would sure get the compressor fixed on your basement air.
I personally am very happy with our basement air by itself, but I have read a lot of posts about how nice it is to have a roof air as a supplement to it.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Winnebago Customer Service Tech says that the Automatic Transfer Switch will select the Generator over the Shore line when both are in use.
Personally, I always disconnect the Shore line before I start the generator.
Maybe I'm being too cautious, but I'm not an electrical wizzard and the consequences of something happening to the electrical system is possible. So, I like to err on the safe side.

I may never know if my switch works?????
Boy, do I agree with that...! Everytime someone says that something is "designed to work" a certain way, it's just my luck that mine goes on the fritz. I believe in being overly cautious and then if and when I happen to forget, which seems to happen more and more, if I'm lucky, everything will work as "designed."
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post

This is the routine I have. I never have the gen set on when hooking up to shore power nor do I turn it on prior to disconnecting, always after. I know the transfer switch is supposed to handle this when the gen set is turned off or on but why shorten its life potentially. I have read where the relays can go bad if it handles big loads like this too often. It is just not that inconvenient to turn off air, turn off the gen set, hook up to shore power, turn air back on, mix a toddy, sit down in the shade and let DW sweat inside until the air comes back on. After it cools back down by then my toddy will need refreshing. I will pour some water on my face and shirt, go inside and announce how damn hot it is outside!

Don
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
I don't see any reason for the roof air to shut off/on while running down the road unless you have a short/loose connection between your gennie and the air conditioner. By the way, I think adding a roof air is a great thing, but I would sure get the compressor fixed on your basement air.
I personally am very happy with our basement air by itself, but I have read a lot of posts about how nice it is to have a roof air as a supplement to it.
Your last sentence, that's what I'm considering doing this fall. Installing it in the kitchen ceiling vent opening and not wiring it into the coach, but separate and setup so I can plug it into a receptacle that I'll have installed in the basement power compartment, with the capability of plugging into the park power pedestal -- your thoughts?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

They should have never called it a transfer switch. It is a selector switch. It should not be used to transfer loads. Turn off major loads. Wait 5 minutes to restart the air conditioners.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We never have both connected at any time ever. Better to be careful than pay a repair bill.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Your last sentence, that's what I'm considering doing this fall. Installing it in the kitchen ceiling vent opening and not wiring it into the coach, but separate and setup so I can plug it into a receptacle that I'll have installed in the basement power compartment, with the capability of plugging into the park power pedestal -- your thoughts?

That's what I did and I can plug the roof air into the coach system when on 50 amp or run a heavy extension cord to another power source if on a 30 or lower RV pedestal. I believe several members have done it this way.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I think what you're talking about doing is an excellent way to add roof air. If you look on this site and over on the "RV forum" website, I believe you'll find some step by step installation instructions, with photos, from several RV fanatics like us. I especially liked the instructions from John Canfield. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I am not sure there is a cause and effect relationship...but.....I keep getting major error codes on my Power Gear when running out the driver side slide when running the generator. As you know, if you get a major code and cannot reset, you are in a pickle as the slide will not move. If you ever do get an error code, simply turn the main power switch off and then on and it should reset. I really like the advice from AFChap and would follow his direction.....